Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 118TSi - CAVD to CTHD conversion, wiring harness Q? HELP!

Users Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Mk R View Post
    Maybe have a good look at the turbo and see if everything's working ok. There seems to be a ton of stories out there about actuator issues and turbine vane damage causing that sort of thing, mostly in diesels though.
    Hi Highflyer1,

I hope you get notifications for this.

I am in the same situation you were a while ago and need to do a swap and want to go CTHD.

Please can you PM me or send me an email on rygreen93@gmail.com so I can have a chat with you and the issues you faced.

I would really appreciate your experience.

Thanks
    Ryan

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by rygreen93 View Post
    Hi Highflyer1,

I hope you get notifications for this.

I am in the same situation you were a while ago and need to do a swap and want to go CTHD.

Please can you PM me or send me an email on rygreen93@gmail.com so I can have a chat with you and the issues you faced.

I would really appreciate your experience.

Thanks
    Ryan
    Ryan,

Did you get your car sorted mate?
    MY18 VW Passat Alltrack Wolfsburg Edition + Panoramic Sunroof + some extra goodies... (Pure White)
    MY17 ŠKODA Superb 206TSI 4x4 + Sunroof + Tech Pack + Comfort Pack + some extra goodies... (Moon White)

Hi are you able to provide me with your mechanics details. I have the same problem, 2010 tsi golf that has done 57,000 needs a new engine.

Users Country Flag
    What about swapping everything over from your old motor onto a newer motor before installing it. Wouldn't that negate the need for a new ecu etc?

Users Country Flag

Changing from CAVD to CTHD engine

Quote Originally Posted by highflyer1 View Post
    Hi All, Sorry for the lack of replies from my end, I wasn't notified of replies, plus... I've been flatout swapping the engine out.

I can confirm that the engine swap was very straight forward. There are some slight differences with vacuum lines (one which I'm trying to work through ATM). The original (CAVD) ECU seems to work with no issues with the CTHD engine.

The new engine runs beautifully, revs freely, no vibrations, and incredibly quiet inside. Only issue atm is the lack of clutch (It's in the workshop being fitted). Once that is done, blue slip, rego and back on the road.

I was fortunate enough to pick up the engine from the wreckers with the supercharger, turbo and wiring harness all hooked up. Made the install a breeze for a non mechanic. Can't say the same for the removal of the original. Being a n00b at it, I dismantled it bit by bit to disconnect the harness....

Anyways - lessons learnt. enjoyed the experience and can't wait to enjoy the twin charge. beasty little machine.

Once back on the road it will be an APR tune for performance, but also as a safety net.

Thanks All.

Hi Highflyer1,

How did it all go after the change from CAVD engine to the CTHD? Any issues later on?

To anyone else reading this, please feel free to assist/comment. Is it possible to change from CAVD engine to CTHD without much hassle? Or is it easier to do a rebuild? If rebuild, is it cheaper to get the parts from Europe? etc. Please help.

Abe

Users Country Flag

New here - more detail

Hi All I’m completely new to all this (VW and forums). I have recently acquired 2009 Golf 118TSI DSG with a motor that needs work. It would appear that irs just a head gasket, however I don’t have any history so I don’t know if the engine was cooked and or what other damage may have been done.

i am therefore thinking of swapping engines out as I don’t want to start a head gasket change and then find I need to change the head because to warped and the turbo also has issues or the pistons are shot.

It will I’ll be much easier to get a complete engine from wreckers and swap over so the change mentioned here is interesting as I can get a CTHD engine for the same price as a CAVD engine.

i therefore need to know what specifically needed changing and any issues I need to be aware of, no one seems to have clarified this specifically anywhere, except in the post below which is the closest I have seen, which mentions issues but not if and how they were addressed.

IF ANYONE CAN HELP I WOULD REALY APPRECIATE IT AND THANK YOU IN ADVANCE.

I would like like to do this swap this week as I have some time off.

Quote Originally Posted by highflyer1 View Post
    Hi All, Sorry for the lack of replies from my end, I wasn't notified of replies, plus... I've been flatout swapping the engine out.

I can confirm that the engine swap was very straight forward. There are some slight differences with vacuum lines (one which I'm trying to work through ATM). The original (CAVD) ECU seems to work with no issues with the CTHD engine.

The new engine runs beautifully, revs freely, no vibrations, and incredibly quiet inside. Only issue atm is the lack of clutch (It's in the workshop being fitted). Once that is done, blue slip, rego and back on the road.

I was fortunate enough to pick up the engine from the wreckers with the supercharger, turbo and wiring harness all hooked up. Made the install a breeze for a non mechanic. Can't say the same for the removal of the original. Being a n00b at it, I dismantled it bit by bit to disconnect the harness....

Anyways - lessons learnt. enjoyed the experience and can't wait to enjoy the twin charge. beasty little machine.

Once back on the road it will be an APR tune for performance, but also as a safety net.

Thanks All.

Hi guys
    I am also after information regarding swapping out a blown CAVD to a CTHD engine will the CTHD bolt up to my Auto?
    my intention is to swap all bolt ons to the later engine if possible.
    has this been done previously any info would be much appreciated thanks.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123