Thread: 118 tsi golf

Users Country Flag

118 tsi golf

Hey all,

Complete noob here so apologies in advance. Agreed on a price for the below but a mate has since advised me against the twin charged 1.4 engines.

It had the supercharger replaced 18 months ago.

Thoughts?

https://www.carsales.com.au/cars/det...SSE-AD-6320877

Users Country Flag
    The Twincharger really is a beautiful engine... while it's running. But the cost of repairs when (and it's when, not if) it breaks a piston makes it a very poor investment. The chances of VW paying for repairs on these things is getting smaller and smaller as time goes on, especially when the car is over 100,000km and (almost) 10 years old and you're not the original owner. Repair costs are $7k give or take.

There are plenty of options in that sort of price range ($10-15k). These searches are limited to Victoria too, if you're willing to travel there are even more options, although a RWC from a local does save some time and effort.

Even some Mk6 GTI's:
    https://www.carsales.com.au/cars/?q=...))&sort=~Price

and a bunch of Mk7:
    https://www.carsales.com.au/cars/?q=...))&sort=~Price

I'd seriously recommend looking at something else (and I own a twin charger).

Here is the long thread on people who have had broken cars:
    Golf 118 TSI Engine Failures and Service Campaign 24S4
    Last edited by The_Hawk; 04-11-2019 at 12:28 PM.

If it has an engine or heartbeat it's going to cost you. | Refer a Friend - AussieBroadband $50 Credit

Quote Originally Posted by carloz182 View Post
    Hey all,

Complete noob here so apologies in advance. Agreed on a price for the below but a mate has since advised me against the twin charged 1.4 engines.

It had the supercharger replaced 18 months ago.

Thoughts?

Access Denied
    I have one and have had all the problems ( pistons and turbo)...was offered $3,000 on trade in recently and mine is one owner under 100,000 ks and a 2012. That one you are looking at is way over priced.

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    Wow thank you both for your responses, much appreciated!

Didn't even think about extending the search beyond melbourne so will do - it's for the missus and she wants leather seats and seat warmers (so narrows it down a fair bit).

Thanks again!!!

Users Country Flag
    Engine is a timebomb
    Transmission is the 7 speed dry clutch so it's rubbish too.

Apart from that they are great cars.

The advertised vehicle is about $7k overpriced. Even if the engine & gearbox didn't have a bad reputation it's still overpriced for a 2010 model.

Buy a MK6 2.0tdi with the good DQ250 6 speed wet clutch box or a GTI
    carandimage The place where Off-Topic is On-Topic
    I used to think I was anal-retentive until I started getting involved in car forums

Users Country Flag
    The GTI engine is still a ticking bomb. The timing chain revised 4 times already.

So, it looks like if someone wants to buy reliable secondhand Golf 6 the only option is with the TDI engine.

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by Transporter View Post
    The GTI engine is still a ticking bomb. The timing chain revised 4 times already.

I guess you are right. I've had no problems with the timing chain on my gen1 1.8tsi but after that they ruined them trying to get better economy (timing chain, oil control, etc).
    carandimage The place where Off-Topic is On-Topic
    I used to think I was anal-retentive until I started getting involved in car forums

Users Country Flag
    The Mk6 TDI has long been a strong recommendation of mine, especially after dieselgate when people wanted to get rid of them and they were going a little cheaper.

If it has an engine or heartbeat it's going to cost you. | Refer a Friend - AussieBroadband $50 Credit

Users Country Flag
    I can highly recommend the mark 6 diesel mine is still going strong after 10 years with not 1 issue apart from regular servicing just make sure you don't skimp on oil changes clean fuel and clean oil they will just keep on going
    2017 Golf Alltrack 135tdi All options
    19 inch Brescia Wheels Golf R brakes front and rear
    Calipers painted Candy apple gold
    New rear sway bar and linkages

Users Country Flag

Mine too. 165,000km...
    VW Tiguan 110TSI Life | Tungsten Silver