Hoping someone might help with a cold slow start on my MK5 Golf FSI
For last 4 months it won't start when cold 95% of time - turns over fine but no start.
But if I turn ignition until seat belt chimes end (about 4 secs) and try start - then repeat this step 3 or 4 times (each time pausing until seat belt chime completes) - then fires up perfectly. Once engine has started I can turn off and restart with no problems. Problem only occurs after more than 4 or so hours not running. Haven't noticed any major difference between cold/hot day. Other than this the car runs perfectly, no loss of power ever. The odd momentary rough idle but this has been occurring since I bought it 6 or so years ago.

I suspect a fuel issue and can confirm the fuel pump is activating (under back seat) each time I turn ignition. Checked all fuses - all good. From what I've read the possible culprits could be;
Relay - but can a relay have an issue only on a cold start?
Fuel filter - possible there is a slight block that the engine can handle but the priming fuel pump isn't strong enough to bypass on just one go?
Fuel pump - but would've thought I'd have other issues like loss of power when accelerating

I've also read that injectors can 'leak' but would've thought the fuel pump kicking in pre-ignition should resolve that even if it was the cause.

Before I go and spend money on buying parts be good to get some advice please.
Cheers
Craig