Support VWWC

Thread: Newbie - longtime Golfer

Users Country Flag

Cool Newbie - longtime Golfer

Hi there VW Watercooled Community.

I'm a real newbie to community forums such as thisbut no newbie to VW Golfs. Mid '80s and early 90's I owned three 2 door Mk1Golfs, the last I was going to restore as it was rust free but someoneabsconded with the shell, engine and 5 speed gearbox whist doing somerestoration work.

Fast forward two decades and after lots ofCommodores, Falcons, a Territory, a 1990 1.6 MX5, a Renault Megane 2.0L ManualI purchased a used 2007 Mk5 2.0 TDI 103kW Sportline Manual with Viennainterior. 11 years and 150,000km later I can well and truly say its the bestand most reliable cat I have every owned.

I have had my eye on replacing the MkV with a MkIVGTD. Trouble is very time I get back into my Mk5 after test driving a MkIV GTDI just marvel at hoe much and engaging drive it is. So now it's time to turnthe MkV into and even better machine. I'm looking at engine improvements, brakeupgrade, and suspension upgrade (including wheels and tyres). Suspensionupgrade may even extend to aftermarket KW adaptive dampers.

I have history in road and race vehicleengineering; ride and handling (being a specialty), supercharging, enginemanagement calibration, emissions tuning and alternative fuel systemsdevelopment. Unfortunately all naturally aspirated spark ignition petrol engines,so I know I know very little about electronic injected turbo diesels! HopefullyI can impart some of my old school my knowledge and experience in return forhelp on these wonderful 21st century Golfs.

Welcome fellow newbie (and fellow golf V owner)! Look forward to benefiting from your wisdom but also mk5 experiences