Support VWWC - everywhere else

• Golf BlueMotion - Australian Launch

Golf BlueMotion – Combining amazing fuel economy, affordability, comfort, safety and practicality for the everyday driver

First showcased at the Australian International Motor Show in Sydney last year, Volkswagen’s new, super-efficient model – Golf BlueMotion – is finally ready to prove that amazing fuel-efficiency can still be obtained in an everyday car. The Golf BlueMotion combines efficiency with comfort and equipment to create a vehicle that delivers greater economy and fewer emissions, yet performs and appears like any other Volkswagen product.

The name BlueMotion not only refers to the model, its fuel economy and emissions, but comprehensively to the whole brand: Blue is the corporate colour of Volkswagen and stands for the elements to be protected such as water and air; Motion embodies the aspect of forward, future-directed mobility with the goal to protect the earth’s resources for future generations.

The Golf BlueMotion brings an exclusive package of visual and technical measures to achieve astonishing fuel economy of just 3.8L/100km and significantly reducing CO2 emissions to only 99g/ km whilst offering the everyday comfort, safety and practicality of a well-equipped five-door hatch.

The Golf BlueMotion is equipped with an exceedingly innovative high-tech package yet is affordable for all drivers. This package includes an efficient common rail TDI engine developing 77kW of power and features several systems and modifications to optimise efficiency. These include a Start / Stop system, and a multifunction computer providing visual gear change recommendation for optimum fuel consumption. Low rolling resistance tyres are also fitted to reduce the drag of the vehicle.

The result is a competitively-priced vehicle that will match or beat hybrids currently available in the market while being conventional to drive, service and repair.

Delivering on its promise to produce class-leading vehicles which are efficient, sustainable, practical, comfortable and competitively priced, the Golf BlueMotion boasts a surplus of prestigious awards to its list of accolades including being recently awarded the overall “Green Car of the Year” by What Car? Green Awards 2010, beating eight other category winners. The Golf BlueMotion was also named best “Green Small Family Car”.

Pricing
    Golf BlueMotion 5 Speed Manual $28,990

Options
    Metallic / Pearl Effect Paint $500

* Prices are manufacturer list prices only, for the drive away price please
    contact your local authorised Volkswagen dealer.
    Comments 7 Comments
      kaanage -
      It looks like they coould have been far more aggressive with the wheel/tyre package but fashion/marketing probably overrode the perfomance improvement.
      Shteifen -
      actually with the blue motion vehicles performance/fashion werent the aim. the aim is 100% efficiency
      apart from the fact the tyres look pretty huge, i reckon they've done a pretty good job with making it still look quite good

-Steve
      Shteifen -
      that being said....if i got one, first thing i'd do would be chuck some better wheels on worse fuel economy or not!
      -Steve
      kaanage -
      Quote Originally Posted by Shteifen View Post
      actually with the blue motion vehicles performance/fashion werent the aim. the aim is 100% efficiency
      apart from the fact the tyres look pretty huge, i reckon they've done a pretty good job with making it still look quite good
      You've misunderstood me. By "performance", I meant the Bluemotion performance aim - efficiency and economy.
      I'm sure that the car could get around just fine on 14" rims with 185 width tyres like the early MkIV Golfs. 175 tyres on 15" rims would be even better but they probably don't have enough load capacity and would be hard to find.
      And the wheels could have been made in a more aero style rather the "check out my brakes" look
      CCMc -
      I wonder if like the European Version they are going to have a 'Tyre Repeair Kit' instead of a spare wheel. Wouldn't suprise me if they decided to put a spare wheel on the Australian release considering not having one would be a deal breaker for anyone wanting to take it out in the country.
      Coaster -
      What is the spec of these? Comfortline? Or some hybrid of Trendline/Comfortline? What is the weight compared to a regular Golf?

I've been driving for 13 years now, never had a flat tyre. So for me, the spare tyre is a waste of space and unnecessary weight. I'd be happy with a repair kit and besides, Roadside Assist is always there if required.
      Shteifen -
      ah! understood then!

and from what i hear there is no plan to put a spare wheel in the boot for the australian version. its just the "tyre repair kit" for the full bluemotion golf, here in australia.
      -steve
| |