PDA

View Full Version : Hi from the UK, in the middle of emigrating to SA with my VW's!

VR6 STORM
06-11-2007, 08:58 PM
Hi,
I thought it was about time to register with your fab forum! We (my Fiancee Mo and I) are in the middle of emigrating to the Adelaide area of South Australia. All our stuff is now on its way in a 40' high cube container, and we will be following in the first week of December 2007.

We have got to do all the usual stuff when we arrive, ie find a property rental, get tax file numbers, activate our Oz bank account, get jobs! etc etc, so still lots to do!! But the really hard stuff is now sorted, getting the permanent residents visas, car import permits, shipping, its taken us 3 years.
On to the interesting stuff for you guys.... our cars.

We are bringing our much loved MK1 Golf GTI and our Corrado VR6 Storm with us.... assuming the container ship doesnt sink :o

I have owned my GTI for about 14 years now. She is modified with a turbo technics conversion and full engine management, suspension and brake mods etc all done by me over the years with some help in Dyno tuning and fabrication by my good friends at www.jkm.org.uk. I couldnt bear to leave her behind.

We have owned our Corrado storm for 6 1/2 years now. She is completely standard with full VW service history and a receipt file that fills 2 lever arch files. She is also fitted with the optional airconditioning kit.

I always insisited that I would bring both cars with me, but after seeing the interest the Corrado creates on the forum, I knew it just had to be done!
Looking forward to getting there and getting the cars safely to our new home and meeting up with some new mates :)

I am still trying to work out how to post some pictures of the cars on the site here, all mine seem too big to insert :confused: Any help would be appreicated :)

Cheers!!

Tim
06-11-2007, 09:04 PM
I think i love you. Want to get married?

VR6 STORM
06-11-2007, 09:11 PM
Ha ha... thats well funny!! :)
But how do I post pictures of the cars??

Nick_80
06-11-2007, 09:27 PM
try www.photobucket.com, create an account and post pics on there.. then copy the url and paste it in the text

can u bring me a corrado... or sumother cool parts for my audi, i live in sa and look forward to seeing you at the few vw/audi events local here

VR6 STORM
06-11-2007, 09:34 PM
Ta for that, will get an account set up and post the piccies sometime today.

Bora Sport
06-11-2007, 10:10 PM
Go to the user tips and suggestions forum. Shanath has posted a very useful guide on how to do it. Even I could understand it.

VR6 STORM
06-11-2007, 10:15 PM
Have a look at the link below, hope this works okay??

http://s220.photobucket.com/albums/dd190/nigelandmo/

:)

Tim
06-11-2007, 10:22 PM
both of those cars certainly work for me :D

VR6 STORM
06-11-2007, 10:25 PM
Okay, ta for that, will have a look

VR6 STORM
06-11-2007, 10:36 PM
Glad you like them, hope they get there in one bit, and that a flat battery doesnt corrupt the map files on the Golf's ECU. Will have to remember my laptop to reload them if there are problems!!

golf3
06-11-2007, 11:23 PM
Wow!
Very Impressive!!!
In one swift movement, you will put this country on the VW map!

VR6 STORM
06-11-2007, 11:41 PM
Hi, thank you for your kind comments. I dont know what to say to that really.

I guess the Golf is not uncommon, even as a modified car, but the Corrado is a bit rare.
Even in the UK the Storm is a rare model. They made 500 of them as the final production run, 250 in Mystic Blue with black leather and 250 in Classic Green with the cream leather like mine. I was fortunate enough to buy mine with the desireable air con fitted. This was not even a factory option in the UK but was a £2K extra fitted to order by Diavia, using a selelction of Golf 3 and Passat parts.
Thanks again.

Nick_80
06-11-2007, 11:59 PM
i would like to see them both out at the day of the volkswagen in sa in febuary so everyone can admire them... jealousy hits hard....

VR6 STORM
07-11-2007, 01:12 AM
Hi, well we will see what we can do when we get there. I will have to get them through the ADR stuff and the rego's organised, but that should be achievable before Feb. Would be great to meet up with some like minded VW fans. Hey I dont want to make anyone jealous though. Only brought the cars with me because I love them so much, even after owning them for so long. The Corrado was my daily drive to work until we finally got the house sold. Then had to get her perfectly clean and kept that way for the shipping.

velly_16v_cab
07-11-2007, 07:08 AM
wow...loving the cars, i will pm you later to chat about bring the cars over, i want to get my sportline over here.

you will love the move, esp as you have the sexy cars too lolj:

Jmac
07-11-2007, 07:19 AM
Hi mate i emigrated 8 years ago best move you will ever make!!! Corrado Storm truly a fabulous vehicle . That will be a one off here mate. I served my apprenticeship on them mate, i remember PDI time when we got one of them in what a joy. I would like to import one too but i believe you have to own it for over a year?? I wouldnt mind hearing more and being an imigrant if you have any questions feel free to ask mate been there got the hat and the t shirt!!!
Cheers

99gti
07-11-2007, 08:18 AM
Wow! 2 very spectacular cars. In my opinion - you should have free passage to the country just because of them. They are awesome! I'm sure you'll enjoy it here too.

Wow!

BlackVr6ix
07-11-2007, 08:49 AM
^^ Agree'd

Lovely cars, very jealous!

Soundofav6
07-11-2007, 09:00 AM
HEy vr6 storm. Warmest welcome from VWW, so glad you are taking your corrado and mk1 with you. Now we may need 2 hands to count those corrados in australia, hahah such rare cars.

well if you need any help/ directions in australia just drop a message. Surely someone can help if not at least refer you where else.

Anyways smooth sailing with your cars and cargo.

Lukev85
07-11-2007, 10:01 AM
hey mate,

we welcome you and ur cars to our country

Lorenz
07-11-2007, 10:44 AM
Welcome to the forums mate!
I came over form the UK aswell 6 years ago now and it was the best decision ever!
I am from Adelaide and love the place, and look forward to sussing out your wonderful VWs ;D

Word of warning though, you will have some trouble getting the MK1 rego with the turbo conversion :( You will more than likely have to get it engineered (very costly) so you can drive it on the road unless its a track only car :?

velly_16v_cab
07-11-2007, 11:09 AM
Hello and Welcome!

Your Mk1 is absolutely BEAUTIFUL (And Mars Red... THE BEST COLOUR!) and so is the Corrado!

Hows the Mk1 run with the turbo?

bloody quick im guessing lol :D

DubSteve
07-11-2007, 11:13 AM
Welcome Mate don't worry about Adelaide you need to come to Sydney with those cars I will take very good care of them for you :D

VR6 STORM
07-11-2007, 05:46 PM
Guys, thanks so much for all your positive comments. We are feeling really welcome and we havent even arrived yet :)
I am at work at the moment so its difficult to reply to you all individually, but I have read your posts, thanks again.
We have just booked our flights last night, flying out on the 6th of Dec. We will be in Adelaide by the 8th after a stop over in Melbourne.
Container arrives on the 10th of Dec... hope the cars and stuff make it okay :o

The Golf has only just been finished a few weeks back after a year long conversion that ended up with me junking the KJET system and fitting fully mapped ignition and fuelling using an Emerald ECU. The compression is still a bit high for big boost, making it hard to get enough advance in without detonation so she only runs 8 PSI. After setting up the fuelling and ignition with the current compression (on a Dyno Dynamics rolling road no less!!) she makes 173 brake and just under 200 lbs of torque. Not bad for an ancient 8V solid lifter motor.
Anyway thanks again for all your encouragement and look forward to meeting some of you guys :)

VR6 STORM
07-11-2007, 05:53 PM
I just thought Jimmymac, I wonder if you did the PDI on mine?? I have the PDI sheet in with all the history, wouldnt that be funny??

Jmac
07-11-2007, 10:17 PM
Glasgow or Paisley and there is an odds on chance mate!!!!
Good luck with the move hey!

VR6 STORM
07-11-2007, 10:31 PM
Glasgow or Paisley and there is an odds on chance mate!!!!
Good luck with the move hey!

Naah, was Letchworth, but would have been spooky eh?? :)

KI11Z
08-11-2007, 04:19 AM
sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee eeeeeeeeeeeeetness :cool:

VR6 STORM
08-11-2007, 09:35 PM
sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee eeeeeeeeeeeeetness :cool:

Thanks, will get some better pics on the site soon :)

Slant5crazy
12-11-2007, 08:57 AM
Hi, and welcome to South Aus. when you get here.
As well as being an Audi/VW tragic, I'm in the overseas skilled recruitment and settlement game and would be happy to help out a fellow dubber with everyfink you need to know in Adelaide.
Also an ex-pom!

Have just settled an experienced VW mechanic from South Africa here with a job at the VW dealer and even found him an Ibiza GTI to run around in!

email me at cwannop@senet.com.au with your resume and ETA.
I don't usually charge the candidate for this but if you must give me the Corrado Storm, then I'll just have to accept to demonstrate Aussie hospitality!!

Good to have more dubbers here with their cars.

Tell your mates back home to do the same, I'm sure we could streamline the car process.

Cheers,
Chris

VR6 STORM
12-11-2007, 05:52 PM
Hi, and welcome to South Aus. when you get here.
As well as being an Audi/VW tragic, I'm in the overseas skilled recruitment and settlement game and would be happy to help out a fellow dubber with everyfink you need to know in Adelaide.
Also an ex-pom!

Have just settled an experienced VW mechanic from South Africa here with a job at the VW dealer and even found him an Ibiza GTI to run around in!

email me at cwannop@senet.com.au with your resume and ETA.
I don't usually charge the candidate for this but if you must give me the Corrado Storm, then I'll just have to accept to demonstrate Aussie hospitality!!

Good to have more dubbers here with their cars.

Tell your mates back home to do the same, I'm sure we could streamline the car process.

Cheers,
Chris

Hi Chris, thanks for the message and the offer. Will mail you my CV / Resume. Will be looking for a job post Christams (January).
Regards VR6 Strom.

h100vw
17-11-2007, 10:20 AM
I'd not leave it until January to start looking for a job. Having taken the easy line myself and then being out of work for 3 months.....

Welcome for when you get here.

Gavin

joshyd-mk2gti
18-11-2007, 03:53 PM
top cars man, love them both. good luck with the move.

ps. no pikies out here!

evorobin
18-11-2007, 07:20 PM
Very nice cars. Apply for compliance test the second they get to port as it took me about six weeks!

GermanwithaVdub
19-11-2007, 12:14 PM
wow... you're a champ, id drive to adelaide for a cruise just to see those beauties.

welcome to australia (for the 8th)! adelaide is a nice town, good place for driving nice cars up in the adelaide hills and its not so stupidly busy like sydney.

like everyone has said, if theres anything we can help you out with just let us know.

VR6 STORM
19-11-2007, 05:55 PM
Guys, thanks again for all the positive posts, I really appreciate them all :D
All our stuff and the cars are somewhere in the ocean, hopefully still floating. Due in to Singapore on the 20th and due in to Adelaide on the 10th of December.
Sorry to all if some of my posts are a bit late. We have limitied internet access at the moment out of work time, and I finish work tomorrrow. So its a question of 'borrowing' other peoples unsecured wireless networks untill we arrive ;)
Will post some pictures of the cars etc when they arrive at the docs. Will be fully up and running on broadband in January.

Here is a question for you all. How can I get a sensible value for the Corrado for import duty purposes? It was agreed value insured for £11000 in the UK and the latest issue of Practical Classics now lists it at £6000 (VR6, non storm).
Any suggestions welcome :)

OEM G60
19-11-2007, 06:09 PM
Hey mate !! Sorry for the delay, i'll PM you tonight with a copy of my valuation as promised ........

Matt

VR6 STORM
19-11-2007, 10:46 PM
Hey mate !! Sorry for the delay, i'll PM you tonight with a copy of my valuation as promised ........

Matt

Cheers, Matt, I appreciate it :)

geeza
20-11-2007, 07:17 PM
Hey - good to hear you're making the move out to the lucky country (pre-HoWARd) - did the same 6 years ago with a mate from London / Bucks, You'll love it hear - totally brilliant that you've brought another Golf MK1 Gti with ya, i left one at home NEVER AGAIN!! n:

of course...the positives far out weigh the negatives, if you're melbourne drop me a line, more than happy to show you around - as would most.

Gary

VR6 STORM
20-11-2007, 08:14 PM
Thanks Gary, and all of you for your kind offers of help etc. Will get good pictures of cars posted on site once we are here.
Will be good to meet up with some of the Adelaide based guys to start with, H100VW, Evorobin and Slant5crazy etc??

Cheers Nige :D

sukebe
02-12-2007, 09:03 PM
Guys, thanks again for all the positive posts, I really appreciate them all :D
All our stuff and the cars are somewhere in the ocean, hopefully still floating. Due in to Singapore on the 20th and due in to Adelaide on the 10th of December.
Sorry to all if some of my posts are a bit late. We have limitied internet access at the moment out of work time, and I finish work tomorrrow. So its a question of 'borrowing' other peoples unsecured wireless networks untill we arrive ;)
Will post some pictures of the cars etc when they arrive at the docs. Will be fully up and running on broadband in January.

Here is a question for you all. How can I get a sensible value for the Corrado for import duty purposes? It was agreed value insured for £11000 in the UK and the latest issue of Practical Classics now lists it at £6000 (VR6, non storm).
Any suggestions welcome :)

I have imported cars from Japan as Personal Imports. Your export customs broker will have paperwork indicating the cars details which will include the purchase price (it may be the Bill of Lading, can't remember, its been a while). This purchase price can basically be whatever you want (within reason). Given that your import duties will be calculated as a % on this figure, its best to lowball as much as possible. I got away with quoting $8k for an RX7 I sold for $39k. I would put your car with a value of 3.5k pounds, or $8k. Make sure you use a customs broker who is familiar with car import/exportation.

VR6 STORM
07-12-2007, 06:27 AM
I have imported cars from Japan as Personal Imports. Your export customs broker will have paperwork indicating the cars details which will include the purchase price (it may be the Bill of Lading, can't remember, its been a while). This purchase price can basically be whatever you want (within reason). Given that your import duties will be calculated as a % on this figure, its best to lowball as much as possible. I got away with quoting $8k for an RX7 I sold for $39k. I would put your car with a value of 3.5k pounds, or $8k. Make sure you use a customs broker who is familiar with car import/exportation.

Hi, Thanks for info. Well we are here now, in Melbourne for a day, then of to Adelaide Tomorow. Container arrives on the 10th!!
The car cost us £11500 6 years ago and we have the receipts. I have a valuation from Carpoid on his imported G60, and have a market rate value from a UK mag called Practical Classics. There are storm VR6's coming up on ebay from time to time, and I have those savd so I guess with all this info I should be able to come to a suitable valuation??
Thanks again :)

Jarred
07-12-2007, 09:12 AM
Welcome to australia! finally made it, how was the flight?

99gti
07-12-2007, 09:46 AM
Lucky you arrived today and not yesterday. It was stinking hot yesterday and after just having left winter back home I think you would have melted.

What you got planned whilst your in Melb?

OEM G60
07-12-2007, 03:33 PM
Welcome to Australia !!!! Bet it feels good to finally be here!

Good luck with the cars etc, that will be be the icing on the cake, i was stoked to go and drive mine back !!

Enjoy

Matt

VR6 STORM
07-12-2007, 05:36 PM
Guys thanks for all the posts today, Flight was okay ta, but long!! We went to Spotswood today to visit our pets in quarratine, bless em!
Going to get an early night tonight as flying to Adelaide tomorrow. Got lots to do next week, i.e. find a rental house, activate bank account, get tax file numbers, buy a banger car to get about in untill the VW's are ready/road legal and go and see the shipping agents about our stuff.
So busy week for us!

h100vw
07-12-2007, 07:50 PM
Let me know if there's anything you need a hand with.

Gavin

VR6 STORM
11-12-2007, 07:54 AM
Let me know if there's anything you need a hand with.

Gavin

Hi Gavin, thanks for offer mate, really appreciated. We have bought a Holden Belina 3.8 V6 to boot about in untill the cars are sorted. Container has arrived. We are off to see the agents today and get the rego sorted on the Holden. We are sorting Oz mobiles out today, so I will give you a call once we are done. You have kindly given me your mobile number allready mate. We are staying in Happy Valley at the moment with friend, so we are only just down the road from you!

Cheers

Nige and Mo

Jarred
11-12-2007, 11:02 AM
all very exciting isn't it! I can't wait to see your dubs rollin on some aussie turf!

VR6 STORM
11-12-2007, 09:50 PM
Cheers Jarred, yeah exiting but scary!!
Tried to get some sense out of the shipping agents today. They are trying to put me onto a broker to arrange the cars once out of Quarrantine and Customs, but neither side seems to know what to do!!! They were asking me queastions as if I had done this sort of thing before???
Been on to TNT as the broker recommended by the shipping agents. I am trying to get info over to them to proceed, but as long as the cars are out of container and in the bonded store in one bit I will feel 100% better about it all.

Water Boy
11-12-2007, 09:54 PM
Rock on dude thats awsome :D Welcome to Oz this is the best country :D

OEM G60
12-12-2007, 05:33 AM
Hey mate, i used a broker myself, Steve White, he went out of his way to help me, he drove me the other side of Sydney just so i could have look at my car, he's into VW's himself! There is an Adelaide broker that works for the same shipping agent as him, just incase you get stuck....

Mr. Paul Roberts,
InternationalTransport Services,
149, Holbrooks Road,
Underdale,
ADELAIDE,
SA 5032,
Tel. No. 08 8354 5700
E-mail: its@arcom.com.au

Or give Steve a call, he would love to here about another Corrado coming in, and is full of good advise, tell him i sent you !!

Mr. Steve White,
Cargo Online Pty. Ltd.,
PO Box 365, Seaforth,
SYDNEY, NSW 2092,
Tel. No. (02) 9400 2635,
UK VoiP Tel. No. (0121) 288 4377
E-mail: steve@cargoonline.com.au.

evorobin
12-12-2007, 07:34 AM
InternationalTransport Services,
149, Holbrooks Road,
Underdale,
ADELAIDE,
SA 5032,
Tel. No. 08 8354 5700
E-mail: its@arcom.com.au

Sure that's who I used.

VR6 STORM
12-12-2007, 08:29 AM
Guys, thanks yet again for all your help. Will be on to it again today and let you know whats happening.

Ta mucho :)

joshyd-mk2gti
01-01-2008, 08:56 PM
hot enough over there for ya???

got everything sorted out yet?

VR6 STORM
04-01-2008, 08:34 AM
Hi, yeah warm enough allright!!
We have got a rental now in Woodcroft, got all our household stuff, bought a Holden Commodore Berlina as a run about, got Oz driving liscences, etc etc.
Still have not got the cars from Customs and Quarantine!! They are in the bonded store at our agents waiting for customs inspections!!!
We have got the compliance paperwork now after lodging the import approvals at regency park. Just got to work out what we need to do to make them comply (obvious one is the rear child seat restraints, dunno why they should be so different in Australia?)
The cars will have seriously flat batteries by now! :(