PDA

View Full Version : Overseas 19x9 +33 Omanyts

Jakeys
14-09-2014, 11:59 PM
Hey all,

So I'm currently running the factory R36 wheels which are 18x8 ET44. I'm looking for a more aggressive fitment, but I haven't found many wheels I like the look of more than the Omanyt. So I am considering going for the Tiguan R-Line Omanyt, which is a 19x9 ET33, with an excellent concave and slightly sleeker design. Rubber isn't a problem and the fitment will be pretty flush on an R36 which should work great at stock height and is exactly what I want, the big problem is actually buying these wheels for a good price. Given they were not available in Australia, they are pretty expensive for OEM quality wheels. VW importing them for me is totally out of the question as my local (Solitaire) quoted over $1800 per wheel. ECS Tuning have them at $3165 USD shipped for the set, which with 10% GST is around $3900-4000 AUD delivered.

Here (http://www.autoblog.com/photos/sema-2008-vw-tiguan-performance-concept/full/#photo-376095) is the wheels on the Tiguan they came from.
Here (http://up.picr.de/16269453nc.jpg) is a sadly tiny picture showing them on an R36.
Here (http://data.motor-talk.de/data/galleries/0/24/5260/28290653/r36-401973273213366109.jpg) is a bigger picture of them on an R36, except the guy has chromed them for some reason.
Here (http://i288.photobucket.com/albums/ll166/bbest86/IMG_1372.jpg) is an unrelated car/wheel with identical tyre fitment.

Despite all the info, my question is pretty simple. Does anyone know of a better/cheaper alternative than ECS for obtaining these wheels, or are they the best bet? $1k a corner isn't bad for the perfect wheel, but it's worth asking the question.

tigger73
15-09-2014, 07:06 AM
Here's a few of the pictures (rather than links):

http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2014/09/09_vw_tig_perf-1.jpg

http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2014/09/12_vw_tig_perf-1.jpg

http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2014/09/16269453nc-1.jpg

http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2014/09/r36401973273213366109-1.jpg

I don't think the chrome looks all that bad given the amount of chrome already on the car it does tie in (but get out your sunglasses).

Please remember that you can't consider fitment of this size rim on any other car as the dimensions are different from one vehicle to another. The distance from the wheel hub to the inside of the guard will determine what width/offset rim you can run without having it poke out from the guards.

From the photos above these look like this fitment may poke on a Passat. A 19x9 ET33 rim on a Tiguan still needs guard extensions to be legal. You can see that in the picture above it's got alltrack looking plastics fitted to make the guards fatter. If you put this rim on a stock Tiguan it won't be legal.

So I suggest finding out what the largest wheel size you can legally fit on a Passat before spending $4k on a set of wheels that quite possibly isn't going to be legal to run here in Australia.

Find a rim/tyre the size you're looking at and put it on your car to make sure of the fitment before committing to any order. It could save you a lot of heartache (and explanations to the wife).

2muchcoffeeman
15-09-2014, 07:45 AM
Have you checked out the VMR 702?

Well under $2k landed. They're a very good wheel.

V702 (http://www.velocitymotoring.com/wheels/v702/)

snerlo
15-09-2014, 07:58 AM
tigger73,
The R36's come standard with the guard extensions but I do tend to agree, $4k is a lot of coin to throw on something that may fit. Jakeys, I would try and find a rim with the same stats (or extremely close) and whack them on the beast to make sure that they are what you are after before you purchase. Good luck mate. I'm considering as well but I can't decide on a rim yet and it will depend on what I am allowed to spend from my allowance!!! :P

Edit: I am also considering the VMR's but the v710 model. They look nice!

tigger73
15-09-2014, 08:17 AM
Going from 18x8 ET44 to 19x9 ET33 is around 23-24mm extra "poke" which is a lot (11mm higher offset plus 12.5mm in extra width on the outer edge of the rim).

Dutch77
15-09-2014, 08:58 AM
I am all for OEM+ looks, but I'd be looking at doing that by acquiring a set second hand for a lot less than $4k - that's a lot of cash to spend on an OEM wheel.

As mentioned the VMR 702 is a smart looking wheel and can be had in 19 for under $2k; alternately if you want to spend up then $4k is well into BBS, OZ and Rays territory.

While the VMR710 is a decent looking wheel as well, have a google of Passat R36 and BBS CH-R. :)

kamold
15-09-2014, 10:40 AM
Just had a squizz at the VMR website.
Great value rims and some nice (IMHO) designs.

booba
15-09-2014, 11:22 AM
Also factor in 12% duty i think.

team_v
15-09-2014, 11:27 AM
Have you considered the VW Savannah style wheel.
It was an option on the Tiguan overseas and came in 19 x 9 ET33 as well.
There are a few sets floating around.

Jakeys
15-09-2014, 11:45 AM
Please remember that you can't consider fitment of this size rim on any other car as the dimensions are different from one vehicle to another. The distance from the wheel hub to the inside of the guard will determine what width/offset rim you can run without having it poke out from the guards.

Thanks, that photo was just to show the tyre fitment on the rim, not the car itself.

From the photos above these look like this fitment may poke on a Passat. A 19x9 ET33 rim on a Tiguan still needs guard extensions to be legal. You can see that in the picture above it's got alltrack looking plastics fitted to make the guards fatter. If you put this rim on a stock Tiguan it won't be legal.

So I suggest finding out what the largest wheel size you can legally fit on a Passat before spending $4k on a set of wheels that quite possibly isn't going to be legal to run here in Australia.

Find a rim/tyre the size you're looking at and put it on your car to make sure of the fitment before committing to any order. It could save you a lot of heartache (and explanations to the wife).

Fair point well taken, my current understanding though is they will sit flush for an R36, but would poke on a stock Passat. This is what I'm after. A lot of people are already running this fit, but I have not been able to see it in person for myself.

Have you checked out the VMR 702?

Well under $2k landed. They're a very good wheel.

V702 (http://www.velocitymotoring.com/wheels/v702/)

Similar, but so are my current wheels. Bit of a perfectionist I guess, but I wouldn't be happy with those. Can't complain about the price though!

Going from 18x8 ET44 to 19x9 ET33 is around 23-24mm extra "poke" which is a lot (11mm higher offset plus 12.5mm in extra width on the outer edge of the rim).

I am aware of all the stats, cheers. Inner clearance is no issue due to the offset change, and while I'm not 100% yet, by measuring my own car and reading the experience of others, I am certain outer clearance is right. Keep in mind, I've seen several stock or lowered R36's running either these or the identically sized/offsetted Savannah wheel.

I am all for OEM+ looks, but I'd be looking at doing that by acquiring a set second hand for a lot less than $4k - that's a lot of cash to spend on an OEM wheel.

As mentioned the VMR 702 is a smart looking wheel and can be had in 19 for under $2k; alternately if you want to spend up then $4k is well into BBS, OZ and Rays territory.

While the VMR710 is a decent looking wheel as well, have a google of Passat R36 and BBS CH-R. :)

Yeah, this was why I was looking elsewhere. For the money you do get into higher quality wheel territory, but it's worth appreciating that I don't track this car, so I will see negligible benefit from the OEM vs those wheel manufacturers. So it comes down to style, and I reckon these are better looking for this particular car/my particular vision than any BBS/Rays offering, as amazing as many of their wheels are. So I'd rather pay for these than the others if the prices are the same. The TE37 Tokyo Time Attack is one of my favourite wheels ever for instance, and is obviously higher quality than OEM, but is totally not suited to the R36 styling.

Have you considered the VW Savannah style wheel.
It was an option on the Tiguan overseas and came in 19 x 9 ET33 as well.
There are a few sets floating around.

I have, actually, thanks! I figured in the end I really want the Omanyts, but I did consider the Savannah for a while and I'm still not 100% on anything. If the right cheap set of Savannahs came along at the right time for instance I might be swayed. If anything I'd really prefer second hand Omanyts too but I suspect that will be a hard buy given they weren't available in Oz and a lot of the second hand ones have gutter rash, which is next to impossible to fix because of the diamond cut lip.

I really appreciate all the advice from everyone. :)

Martin
15-09-2014, 12:21 PM

Indeed - I would expect noticeable bump steer, steering feedback forces and scrub (which you may or may not notice)

Passat R36
15-09-2014, 07:57 PM
19x9 ET33 fitment is too aggressive for R36, it will rub both front and rear. maybe go OE optional Omanyt 19x8 ET44? or maybe Phaeton Omanyt 19x9 ET40? also some MTMs are similar to Omanyt.

Jakeys
16-09-2014, 12:22 AM
19x9 ET33 fitment is too aggressive for R36, it will rub both front and rear. maybe go OE optional Omanyt 19x8 ET44? or maybe Phaeton Omanyt 19x9 ET40? also some MTMs are similar to Omanyt.

Based on what? I'm open to hearing thoughts but I've seen 19x9 +33 work on lots of R36's, and quite often they're lowered, whereas I'm retaining stock height. 19x8 +44 is nowhere near aggressive enough, the Phaeton ones could be an option, but I'd probably be looking at the same money.

baboo
16-09-2014, 06:09 PM

I've got Savannahs. 19x9 +33. they sit ok.

Jakeys
16-09-2014, 06:15 PM
Nice! Stock height by the looks of it too? Are you running 245 wide tyres or 235? That's perfect, exactly the fitment I'm after and on the same colour car, please as many photos as you can muster!

Passat R36
16-09-2014, 06:34 PM
Interesting, I know people had rub issue on rear under loaded even on 18x8 et38...

Jakeys
16-09-2014, 08:54 PM
Interesting, I know people had rub issue on rear under loaded even on 18x8 et38...

I suspect you'd probably run into rub with this setup under full load too. But you'd need to pack it with weight, which I can't imagine I'll ever need to do, and even then you could investigate guard rolling (I'd rather avoid permanent solutions like that) or just put the stocks back on. Not exactly practical if you needed to haul a lot of weight regularly, but the same could be said for things like lowering springs or coilovers.

Jakeys
04-12-2014, 01:21 PM
I just bought the Omanyts. 19x9 +33 bring it on, baby.

snerlo
04-12-2014, 09:05 PM
You bugger! What was the damage mate? Looking forward to seeing what they look mate. How long?

Jakeys
04-12-2014, 11:48 PM
You bugger! What was the damage mate? Looking forward to seeing what they look mate. How long?

Regarding the price, I'm a bit hesitant to say, although at least I will say it's cheaper than originally anticipated which is why I've gone a bit early on them. I'm waiting to make sure they will rock up, I feel like I will get like an e-mail from VW "Oh sorry we only have three left" or "Oh that was a glitch in the part system" or something as they are my dream wheels and they came in quite a lot cheaper than I was expecting. I would have paid the full $4000ish originally quoted eventually too... although not the outlandish $7400 quoted by VW Australia. Should find out this arvo or maybe Monday if they have all four to ship. It's Fedex Priority so it could even be mid next week these things rock up.

Tyres for that size aren't cheap, luckily I've got a contact who works for Goodyear now who can supply the top of the line Eagle F1 Asymmetric 2's for an awesome $1000 a set 245/35R19, which is crazy discounted. Even my local guy with a 30+% discount could only do like $1250. So potentially I could have them fitted late Jan. This is working out to be a good Christmas for me!

snerlo
05-12-2014, 06:58 AM
Good stuff buddy. I presume they are the standard colour the same as ours are now? If you google black R36 wagon there is one overseas that looks like it has grey 19 Omanyts. It looks sweeeeet!! Very smart.
But I do like the Savannahs on Baboo's white sedan above. He is in Brisbane too so it would be good to catch up with him and scope them out at a meet sometime.

Jakeys
05-12-2014, 07:25 AM
Good stuff buddy. I presume they are the standard colour the same as ours are now? If you google black R36 wagon there is one overseas that looks like it has grey 19 Omanyts. It looks sweeeeet!! Very smart.
But I do like the Savannahs on Baboo's white sedan above. He is in Brisbane too so it would be good to catch up with him and scope them out at a meet sometime.

I think you might mean the R36 styling concept? Think those were a one off. These are the same colour as ours, you can see the exact wheels on the Tiguan in my first post.

I have been told by the supplier the wheels are on order should ship on the 8th. I take this to be a good sign that they do have all four available!

Jakeys
05-12-2014, 05:19 PM
Might have spoken too soon. They have updated my order to say on back order. I got an e-mail saying estimated December 8th, then e-mailed them asking if they could confirm they had all four, and they replied back saying no information or estimate yet, they may not even be available any more? lol

R36VW
06-12-2014, 01:14 PM
I bought a set of replicas a year ago and they are still perfect despite the **** roads in Sydney and taking a few hard hits on pot holes with 44psi. They are omanyts 19x8.5 et45 replicas with 255-35r19 contisport-5p

@ $2400 complete with tyres they were significantly less than your paying with the best tyres you can get from St George tyres in Sydney.

Minimal rubbing all round unless you bounce it fast over speed humps then the inside rear rubs very slightly. Front rubs very slightly on inside wheel arch liner with full steering lock only and on the outside if your too rough with it over gutters and dips with a decent amount of steering lock. With 245/35 19 there would be zero rubbing.

http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/f39/r36-omanyts-19-replicas-255-35r19-contisport-5p-they-feel-unreal-90389-2.html

Jakeys
06-12-2014, 02:37 PM
I bought a set of replicas a year ago and they are still perfect despite the **** roads in Sydney and taking a few hard hits on pot holes with 44psi. They are omanyts 19x8.5 et45 replicas with 255-35r19 contisport-5p

@ $2400 complete with tyres they were significantly less than your paying with the best tyres you can get from St George tyres in Sydney.

Minimal rubbing all round unless you bounce it fast over speed humps then the inside rear rubs very slightly. Front rubs very slightly on inside wheel arch liner with full steering lock only and on the outside if your too rough with it over gutters and dips with a decent amount of steering lock. With 245/35 19 there would be zero rubbing.

http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/f39/r36-omanyts-19-replicas-255-35r19-contisport-5p-they-feel-unreal-90389-2.html

Appreciate the advice, but those wheels aren't for me. Don't like the fit or the shape. Also, they're not significantly less than I'm paying and I'd prefer the Asym 2 tyres to the 5P's. Although if it turns out they can't get more stock of the rims in in then I might just look at buying a couple of OEM replacements as the last owner hasn't rashed all of them, but I'm not interested in the reps because to me they look a bit obvious and they don't really fit much more aggressively than stock.

SamS3
10-03-2017, 09:49 AM
Sorry for the thread revival but how did you go with these and rubbing in the end? I'm thinking of getting some 18x9" (with 235/40/18, possibly 245 later) for my R36 wagon but they only do them in ET35 which might be too aggressive. I'm hoping I can get at least ET40. Does anyone know how much clearance there is on the inside of the wheel? 9" + ET40 would reduce it by 9mm.

Jakeys
12-03-2017, 12:54 AM
Never managed to get a hold of them, gave up and bought a mint set of the original 18x8's to replace my rashed ones. I'm fitting spacers soon though, probably 20mm H&R hubcentrics.

SamS3
14-03-2017, 01:54 PM
Would it be ok with 20mm? Looks like it'd rub with 20mm extra poke?

The wheels I really want only come in either 18x8.5" ET15-52mm or 18x9" ET35.

18x9" ET35 would look good but will sit in 4mm more on the inside and poke 22mm. Might be a little too much. I think the safer option would be the 18x8.5" but they don't look as good (less concave). I don't really want to muck around with rolling guards or fitting harder suspension. I have the S3 for that (which runs 17x9").

MatC
04-10-2017, 03:54 PM
Jakeys - mate i'm in the same boat, just got my black MY10 R36 Wag a few weeks ago - and it can really do with AT LEAST an extra 25mm 'poke' all round...

i was actually considering 19x9.5 +35 which by my measurements would fit in easily... i really like the look of the 19" Omanyts even though you loose the center cap and have the bolts exposed..

if you havn't bought spacers and longer bolts just yet shoot me a PM, i'm procuring some shortly and more volume = greater discounts :)