PDA

View Full Version : Old V6 Bora vs 2L T Jetta

Mr BetterDeal
24-05-2006, 04:43 PM
Currently driving the black V6 and took the new Jetta for a spin on the weekend.
VERY DISAPPOINTED. Has anyone made the transition yet?

ausgolfer
24-05-2006, 06:36 PM
Disappointed in what? The new Jetta TFSI? If so whats not good about them? I've only been able to drive a Golf TDI DSG, and a Golf manual FSI. Both fantastic in my opinion, even if the FSI 2L was lacking in performance.

Mr BetterDeal
24-05-2006, 06:51 PM
I was disappointed in the fact that when I floored it, the wheels spun! when i went around a corner, the car like it was on ice, (compared to 4MO) just overall very disppointed in the performance.

Of the cars you looked at which was the pick?

Taking the Audi for a test tomorrow.

Tim
24-05-2006, 07:28 PM
if u dont want the wheels to spin u should wait for a replacement of your current car. in the mean time save up some pennies! cos theyre gonna cost a packet!
either that or R32 is released later this year. move across to a golf!

Im afraid all hi powered fwd cars are gonna spin the wheels. just like all high powered rwd ones do. not taking into account traction control of course.. but that sucks.

ausgolfer
24-05-2006, 08:17 PM
Well yes wheel spin on take off is always going to be a problem on Hi Po FWD's like Tim said.

I don't have any experience in a Bora 4 motion nor a new Jetta. But from using my logic I don't see why the Bora handling should be better than a New Jetta. The Jetta has the new rear suspension set up which is a huge leap forward. And the Bora is primarily a FWD with some RWD help when required with a superseded suspension design. (armchair logic review)

In my experience the Mk5 golf handles better than a Mk4, at least on the ride an handling track at work :lol:

Mr BetterDeal
24-05-2006, 09:59 PM
Well of course this is going to the problem!! I am looking at the manual audi 2.0L T. It has quattro.

My mate who owns an Audi dealership took me for a spin in and RS4. Whatever i write here wont do it justice, so i will remain silent!!!

An amazing machine.....

I have to have a 4 door car, so whilst R32 is good, dont want 2 door.

I might just save pennies for that RS4!

GoLfMan
25-05-2006, 09:01 AM
yeh the RS4 is amazing!!!!! i read the review in this months wheels mag... id buy it over a M3 anyday 8)

Mr BetterDeal
25-05-2006, 10:17 AM
Okay,

so took the Audi for a spin. And i feel back at home, although not the down low grunt that the Bozza has, its still quick, but importantly sticky!!

thinking i will go with this one. I can't bring myself to drive an auto or semi auto.

Anyone driven this car? A3 2.0T Quattro Man?

Golf Loon
25-05-2006, 08:40 PM
Dont buy the auto go the manual everytime.

Just bought the Mrs a VR6 Passat Auto and it has so much less poise and grunt than the manual.

Tim
25-05-2006, 09:13 PM
I still think u need to get a mk5 R32! its going to be available in 4 door as well as 2 door this time round. Give me a better excuse for not getting one :lol:

mikinoz
25-05-2006, 10:09 PM
I think that the car which you are referring to are all very good in their own respects - however, if you need AWD because it feels like 'driving on glass' when in an FF car - I suggest you do some advanced driver training to help with that accelerator foot!!

Mr BetterDeal
25-05-2006, 10:52 PM
Well i take all comments on board, but i like the feel of 4x4 and more so of driving a manual. Helps me realise that i will never be a formula 1 driver!!!

As for the 4dr R32, i like the audi because it looks like a hidden beast ready to explode, whereas the R32 looks like a big shiny D*(*K!!

I am going to run an auction through our site, and invite every Audi dealer in the country to participate. Interesting to see who is the cheapest dealer in the country!

Will let you know the results when they come through. Probably do it on Monday.

Golfwise
26-05-2006, 09:01 AM
Dont buy the auto go the manual everytime.

Just bought the Mrs a VR6 Passat Auto and it has so much less poise and grunt than the manual.
Loon you are sooo out of date.The Passat runs an early 90s auto and the new ones have made manual boxes obsolete.
F1 cars are autos remember :D

Golfwise
26-05-2006, 09:04 AM
Well yes wheel spin on take off is always going to be a problem on Hi Po FWD's like Tim said.

I don't have any experience in a Bora 4 motion nor a new Jetta. But from using my logic I don't see why the Bora handling should be better than a New Jetta. The Jetta has the new rear suspension set up which is a huge leap forward. And the Bora is primarily a FWD with some RWD help when required with a superseded suspension design. (armchair logic review)

In my experience the Mk5 golf handles better than a Mk4, at least on the ride an handling track at work :lol:

The 4WD Bora runs a rear suspension set up not unlike the Mk5 Golf ie independant.
No mk5 FWD will out handle a mk4 4WD

static1800
26-05-2006, 09:44 AM
I still think u need to get a mk5 R32! its going to be available in 4 door as well as 2 door this time round. Give me a better excuse for not getting one :lol:

Ive got an excuse I cant afford one..... :cry:

Golf Loon
26-05-2006, 09:56 AM
Loon you are sooo out of date.The Passat runs an early 90s auto and the new ones have made manual boxes obsolete.
F1 cars are autos remember :D

I`ve driven the new tiptronic boxes and I still hate the slushbox feel.
I will always be a pudding stirrer.

And I`ll be grinning when the auto breaks. F1 cars can afford to be auto with a pit crew in support.

Golfwise
26-05-2006, 10:10 AM
I can't justify a new one so its manual for me too .For a while ,maybe when I'm 80 I'll change.
Mk1 2 door autos could be the go. :D

SOHC
28-05-2006, 08:10 PM
well... i juz don't pretty like autos, feeling they r hard to stop n slow down!

Bluerex
30-05-2006, 05:34 PM
Now I just know that I am going to get flamed for saying this (here goes anyway), take a WRX for a test drive. They stole the flat 4 idea from the Germans anyway so it is at least somewhat related.
Dont expect the level of cushy finish that a VW/Audi will give you - they are still a cheapish Jap car inside with all the plastic molding that that implies, but to drive....... dont think you will find anything so sticky in the price range. Or if the idea of driving a w*nker-mobile turns you off too much, try the forester - same grip, softer ride and more ground clearance.

There I have said the un-sayable and recommended a Jap car on the VW forum. Now I am unplugging my modem to prevent the napalm spreading
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

C

imported_brackie
30-05-2006, 09:07 PM
Wrexies are incredible cars, of that there's no doubt. You don't win that number of WRCs without a reason (having said that, Mitsu have Pajeroed there way to quite a few rally firsts by sheer factory backup :wink: ).
But character and class? Nah. Europe leaves Asia way behind. And you're right, Bluerex...Europe invents it, Japan makes it a commercial success.

Golf Loon
30-05-2006, 09:38 PM
Yeah my brother in law and I test drove a brand new wrx. The scariest bit was the demo the sales rep gave us :shock: The grip and acceleration and braking is incredible.

No soul or panche though.

shadowblue
01-06-2006, 12:48 PM
Currently driving the black V6 and took the new Jetta for a spin on the weekend.
VERY DISAPPOINTED. Has anyone made the transition yet?

I was disappointed in the fact that when I floored it, the wheels spun! when i went around a corner, the car like it was on ice, (compared to 4MO) just overall very disppointed in the performance.

Having had my (brag, brag :D ...) Jetta TFSI for 15 days and 1017km, I reckon you're mighty hard to please! Love it now 10x more than what I felt at the 2 test drives - and I'm also coming from AWD (Soob, Liberty not WRX - which is still ugly enough to make small childern cry). Driving fun and pleasure wise A+. Pure torque A+ (but it's driving skills not AWD that stops you spinning wheels). Pleasant VW surprises everyday. DSG, what can I say. I've always been a manual driver but there is no way known that any manual driver would change ratios nearly as often as this chip thinks is right (and seems to be right, too). Corners dead flat. And it sounds good, straight off the shelf.

The best bit is that it's a wolf in sheeps clothing. Unlike you people who'd know that the front fogs, 17" Classixs's and the FS(red)I on the back means the animal which powers the GTI lives under the bonnet, nobody's got any idea. There's no scoop, wing, etc. (or even honeycomb) screaming boy racer.

Somebody please tell me why though, in the overseas sites and forums, people reckon it looks like a Corolla

gtimk5
01-06-2006, 01:06 PM
congratulations on your new Jetta Shadowblue. Havent driven a Jetta yet but if its anything like the Mk5 it will be good :D :D

imported_brackie
01-06-2006, 01:07 PM
Welcome, shadowblue. Our forum must be coming of age...We're actually attracting buyers of NEW VW watercooleds! Your car sounds awesome. Keep us informed of your likes/dislikes.

shadowblue
01-06-2006, 01:11 PM
Thanks gtimk5 and brackie. It's the most magnificent machine I've ever owned. Got a history in the distant past with some air-cooled's!

Oh, and if it hadn't been for the aclaim that the Mk5 Golf was getting all around, I mightn't have looked at it, let alone risked an early/new model problem (or a Mexican car!)