PDA

View Full Version : Coming Home Lights

bru20vt
03-09-2014, 08:48 AM
Hi, I have a 90TSI which did not come with the ''Coming Home Lights". Is this a feature that can be retroffitted. Does it require additional parts or is it simply a computer coding change. thanks

greg32
03-09-2014, 08:54 AM
You would probably be able to recode the option with a ross-tech cable. You might find other little tweaks that maybe nice to have as well.

AdamD
03-09-2014, 09:10 AM
With the Mk6 it was a feature of the "Highline" version of the Central Electronics Control Module (CECM). I'm not sure how the modules are classified or features divvied up between them for the Mk7, or whether the 90TSI gets the Highline module or not. A scan of the modules with VCDS and a quick check of the corresponding part numbers against carsystems.pl should give you an indication.

(Here's the latest CECM on carsystems.pl - I'm not sure if it's a Mk6 or Mk7 part though: Central Electric Module 1K0937087AE Highline - LED Xenon - High R20 - Soft 0709 - Upgrade - (http://www.carsystems.pl/central-electric-module-1k0937087ae-highline-led-xenon-high-r20-soft-0709-upgrade,id683.html).)

DV52
03-09-2014, 11:32 AM
With the Mk6 it was a feature of the "Highline" version of the Central Electronics Control Module (CECM). I'm not sure how the modules are classified or features divvied up between them for the Mk7, or whether the 90TSI gets the Highline module or not. A scan of the modules with VCDS and a quick check of the corresponding part numbers against carsystems.pl should give you an indication.

(Here's the latest CECM on carsystems.pl - I'm not sure if it's a Mk6 or Mk7 part though: Central Electric Module 1K0937087AE Highline - LED Xenon - High R20 - Soft 0709 - Upgrade - (http://www.carsystems.pl/central-electric-module-1k0937087ae-highline-led-xenon-high-r20-soft-0709-upgrade,id683.html).)

Adam: I don't know whether the BCM needs to be changed either but it is a simple matter to test the setting in the adaptation channel in the Cent Elect. Module to find-out. Of more interest (to me, at least) is the question of whether the 90TSI has an "auto" position on the light switch. I had thought that this was a necessary facility to enable CH & LH function (i.e. In addition to flashing the high beam lever).

adhock
03-09-2014, 10:23 PM
Are you sure it isn't there? I thought it was missing in mk7 vs mk6 (wasn't happy!), and eventually dug round in the on-screen centre console menus and found it and enabled it. Bit like dimming the dash lighting - a simple knob would have been far easier than computer controls. And here was me nervous about power windows 15 years ago....

AdamD
04-09-2014, 09:02 AM
Of more interest (to me, at least) is the question of whether the 90TSI has an "auto" position on the light switch. I had thought that this was a necessary facility to enable CH & LH function (i.e. In addition to flashing the high beam lever).

Leaving Home requires a light sensor. Coming Home does not, as it is manually triggered.

bru20vt
04-09-2014, 11:15 AM
I can confirm that there is no "auto" position on my light switch. I am more interested in the lights switching on when I unlock the car with the remote control. Anyone with a base model 90TSI added this feature?.

DV52
04-09-2014, 02:05 PM
I can confirm that there is no "auto" position on my light switch. I am more interested in the lights switching on when I unlock the car with the remote control. Anyone with a base model 90TSI added this feature?.

bru20vt: Ok. I think that it might be useful to first establish a common understanding of terms.

According to my mk7 manual this is how VW defines the function (and I'm paraphrasing a little - but it's written on page 111 of the manual):

Comming home lights are switched on when the driver door opens (i.e the driver leaves the car to "Come Home")
Leaving Home lights are switched-on when the driver is approaching/entering the car (i.e.the driver "Leaves Home" and enters the car using the fob-key).

From what you have written, I believe that you want the latter.

For the leaving home function to operate, two things must happen:

The twilight sensor must record a "dark" sky (as suggested by Adam_D), and
The light switch must be in the "auto" position.

This means of course that your 90TSI must have

a RLS (rain-light-sensor), or a RLHS/RLFS (rain-light-humidity-sensor)- The spec sheet for the 90TSI says that it doesn't have one of these, and
the light switch must have an "auto" position - You have confirmed that your car doesn't have such a switch-Alas

I have enabled CH/LH on my car and I can confirm that the leaving home function will not work if the light switch is in the "0" position.

But if you have access to a VCDS cable, then you could try the tweak to enable CH/LH function. If it doesn't work (as I suspect that it won't), then simply revert the adaptation channel setting back to its original value. The Stemei.de site has these instructions, which you will find here (http://www.stemei.de/pages/coding/vw-golf-7/coming-home-automatisch-aktivieren.php). Please be aware that you will need to use something like Google translate to view the site (it's in German)

Good luck with the project and please let us all know how you fare

Gravey
29-12-2015, 09:31 AM
Hi Gents,

thought I'd run this past the brains trust as I can't seem to find much info on this.

Courtesy lights

when I unlock the car the lights come on for 30 seconds, which is what I have set for the 'Leaving Home' option.

The same is supposed to happen when you return home, but nothing but the interior lights stay on and when the car is locked, they turn off. Is this by design? I'd assume that the headlights should stay on for 30 seconds, but they don't. Am I missing something?

TIA

agentthumb
29-12-2015, 09:35 AM
By default, the coming home lights don't come on automatically.

To turn them on, flash the high beam once after you've turned the car off, and they will stay on for your set duration.

You can change this behaviour by checking out the VCDS reference thread.

I suspect VW have done this for two reasons:

1. You don't get randoms coming up to you telling you that you've left your headlights on... Yes it's happened to me a couple of times

2. You may have pulled into a driveway facing a window, and having the lights on may disturb to the people inside.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gravey
29-12-2015, 09:41 AM
I knew I had to be missing something! I did RTFM but I don't think this is mentioned, or I didn't read it well enough! :stupid:

Thanks a lot for the quick reply agentthumb - personally I can live with the coming home lights only working when I tell it to :cool:

agentthumb
29-12-2015, 09:41 AM
No worries :) there are heaps of undocumented features in the car :)

Enjoy!

Mattlock
29-12-2015, 06:02 PM
My car has separate functions in the car setup: http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2015/12/e45c13ff9670e00b649bff7a33d76ef9-1.jpg