PDA

View Full Version : HELP - rear driverside door not opening

antinora
23-05-2006, 06:28 PM
hey guys,

Door lock always needed a bit of work to open but not alot...now the door wont open from outside or inside......i can even hear the door catching.... so, any ideas on how im going to open the bugger ? ?

thanks guyss

Golfwise
23-05-2006, 07:02 PM
You would have the child lock on so won't open from the inside and the exterior handle is no doubt broken so you will have to remove the door panel and reach in and open it that way.
Once you deactivate the child lock you will be able to open it from the inside all the time but you are in for a outside handle

antinora
23-05-2006, 07:04 PM
but how am i gong to get the inside door panel off to do that ?

Golf Loon
23-05-2006, 07:50 PM
E ither force the door trim off. Or take the chrome strip off the door handle, remove any screw that may be under there and rip it off the door. It will break, hopefully without damaging the door and then you can open it through the hole. A fit of rage is sometimes necessary when using this method. :wink:

antinora
23-05-2006, 10:07 PM
far out .....so i have to get the outside handle off and ill be able to open it ?

any pics? ?

static1800
23-05-2006, 10:34 PM
pulling the door trim off would be easiest IMO depending what model you have, older the easier. It will be a hassel with the door shut but very do-able.

Golf Loon
23-05-2006, 11:15 PM
I reckon its pretty easy to rip the lock off :lol:

gldgti
04-06-2006, 11:08 AM
you've probably already done it, but i had to do this on my mk1 -

remove back seat to give more room

take off the interior trim

reach up inside and depress the catch release mechanism, directly behind the rear of the outer door handle.

your outer handle may not be broken! its possible that the door catch mechanism is out of alignment with the outer door handle and so wont contact the lever properly - thus you should leave tearing it off as a last resort

aydan