PDA

View Full Version : Number Plates on the Mk7

Jimi
31-03-2014, 12:10 PM
I've noticed that most Mk7s are coming here with a big black base plate at the front to mount number plates onto. These base plates or mounting points are the same size as Euro plates but if you use the smaller plates we have in Aus I think it looks a bit untidy

Has anyone experimented with removing the baseplate and mounting the number plate directly onto the bumper bar (with some padding or a smaller base plate in between?)

How does the base plate attach and does it leave screw holes that a traditional NSW (or other) black-on-white slimline plate wouldn't cover up?

I know it can be removed as I've seen photos where this has been done for a photo shoot

n0d3
31-03-2014, 12:23 PM
Yes you can remove the front black base and use another base or attach the plates directly after plugging the holes.

Personally used Lakin plate holders (highly recommended!).

LAKIN Custom Plate Brackets, Add some CLASS to your car (http://www.lakinplates.com.au)

ziggyboy
31-03-2014, 03:31 PM
I'm also using Lakin brackets but how wide the bracket is will be limited to the holes in your bumper.

CT69
31-03-2014, 04:07 PM
n0d3: were there custom holes in the VW or did you have to drill them using the Lakin template? Could you please post pics of front and back? I have heard other good reports and would be keen to get them for my GTI on order. Cheers

ziggyboy
31-03-2014, 04:25 PM
You can have smaller brackets but it looks ugly with hole plugs in the front factory holes.

Lakin will almost always use the factory rear holes.

Jimi
31-03-2014, 05:27 PM
It's a shame the factory holes are probably obvious in real life. This low res photo looks so clean without the big bracket and the small NSW plates wouldn't disrupt that too much

http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2014/03/IMG_1586_zpsf430c816-1.jpg (http://s1247.photobucket.com/user/thefpvadventures/media/IMG_1586_zpsf430c816.jpg.html)

The_Hawk
31-03-2014, 06:49 PM
Are the brackets still added at the dealership? I know with some models people used to talk about asking the dealer not to put the front bracket on so they could so something different. No good to you if you already have the car, but worth an ask if you're still waiting.

Plan B: Take to it with a screw driver and see what you find :D

n0d3
31-03-2014, 07:40 PM
n0d3: were there custom holes in the VW or did you have to drill them using the Lakin template? Could you please post pics of front and back? I have heard other good reports and would be keen to get them for my GTI on order. Cheers

There are existing holes for the front black bracket (dealer said it was done at factory, no idea), so for the front you can just secure it directly with the Lakin brackets after removing the old OEM bracket.

You only have to drill holes for the rear number plate holder (there are no holes at all).

You can see the photos here -> http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/f197/official-i-have-ordered-received-my-new-mk7-golf-thread-84834-66.html#post1040869

It's from my phone so don't expect much. Better order it early, takes a while to come.

Are the brackets still added at the dealership? I know with some models people used to talk about asking the dealer not to put the front bracket on so they could so something different. No good to you if you already have the car, but worth an ask if you're still waiting.

Plan B: Take to it with a screw driver and see what you find :D

Yeah they are added at the factory APPARENTLY (the front ones). They are quite easy to remove and the Lakin ones fit in the existing holes.

Jimi
31-03-2014, 09:10 PM
I've seen a few photos around here of GTIs coming off boats and trucks still with protective wrap on them. If I can find one of those that should confirm it

n0d3 that looks really good but you have Euro plates. I wonder if the conventional smaller black-on-white plates fit in the same holes

Mountainman
31-03-2014, 09:39 PM
I've noticed that most Mk7s are coming here with a big black base plate at the front to mount number plates onto.

Only the GTI, not the base, Comfortlines or Highlines. Makes me wonder why they continue to do it. A real eye-sore.

Jimi
31-03-2014, 10:24 PM
Found a photo of a GTI in the wrap (link below). Looks like the bracket is there before the dealers get it

Just Landed in Australia, apparently! (http://www.vwgolf.net.au/showthread.php?17131-Just-Landed-in-Australia-apparently)!

n0d3
31-03-2014, 11:17 PM
I've seen a few photos around here of GTIs coming off boats and trucks still with protective wrap on them. If I can find one of those that should confirm it

n0d3 that looks really good but you have Euro plates. I wonder if the conventional smaller black-on-white plates fit in the same holes

So the dealers were telling the truth!

Hmmm, I think the Lakin ones fit the smallest available hole regardless of plate size so even if I decide to switch to regular plates and change the base plate, I won't need to drill new holes. That's the beauty of it!

CT69
01-04-2014, 05:53 AM
n0d3: thanks for the reply. Did the dealer drill the rear holes for your Lakin plate, or did you need a second set of holes (or do Lakin provide a plate based on what is likely to be pre-drilled?)
I am worried the dealer may make a meal of it...

AdamD
01-04-2014, 08:00 AM
They did exactly the same thing with the Mk6. And yes, the bracket is factory-fitted for the GTI (and likely also the R).

The Lakin (http://lakinplates.com.au/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=355_108_29_874&zenid=cba746174b94993a9909735cdbef975b) plate brackets are custom-made, so you can get one-off sizes and variations that don't cost extra. The owner (Phillip) is a great guy to deal with as well - I highly recommend him.

For plenty of detail of what Mk6 people have done in place of a similar (if not identical) bracket, see this thread:

http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/f112/best-number-plate-plate-holder-style-39781.html

ziggyboy
01-04-2014, 09:01 AM
Yes, Philip is normally willing to custom make a bracket for you. Just let him know what you want.

Top notch customer service.

Jimi
01-04-2014, 03:58 PM
Can anyone with a mk 7 GTI tell me whether the rear plates have a big bracket around them as well? All the photos I can find are of press vehicles which use Euro plates that are massive at the rear so it's hard to tell

As for the front, this slimmer bracket on p27 of the thread linked to in AdamD's post above looks like the best compromise which uses the existing holes created by the standard bracket and doesn't involve plugs or filling in holes. Is the Mk 7 similar?

http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2011/08/20100911_bracket_001_1200x800-1.jpg

Brendan_A
01-04-2014, 04:09 PM
What do you mean a big bracket around them? Mine just has the normal recess in the rear bumper where your plates go.

Jimi
01-04-2014, 04:21 PM
I mean is there anything like the big black thing on the front under the rear plate as well?

Brendan_A
01-04-2014, 04:22 PM
Nothing like the front.

n0d3
01-04-2014, 07:43 PM
n0d3: thanks for the reply. Did the dealer drill the rear holes for your Lakin plate, or did you need a second set of holes (or do Lakin provide a plate based on what is likely to be pre-drilled?)
I am worried the dealer may make a meal of it...

I mean is there anything like the big black thing on the front under the rear plate as well?

Exactly what Brendan said, there is nothing on the back. You/the dealer needs to drill holes. Lakin provides a template (you'll need to measure to centre your plates anyway). You can always just stick it on with some tape and do it yourself if you're afraid the dealer might stuff it up.

Brendan_A
01-04-2014, 08:12 PM
Exactly what Brendan said, there is nothing on the back. You/the dealer needs to drill holes. Lakin provides a template (you'll need to measure to centre your plates anyway). You can always just stick it on with some tape and do it yourself if you're afraid the dealer might stuff it up.

My last Golf the dealer didn't get the rear plate centre. So this Golf I told them I want to be there when they attach the plates. I took in a tape measure and got them perfect and he drilled/screwed.

CT69
01-04-2014, 08:52 PM
Thanks to all for the info in this thread. I spoke to Philip from Lakin who is extraordinarily helpful and professional.
In summary:
GTI and R are shipped with a wide front baseplate (drilled to suit European plates, way too wide for standard Qld plates); dealers will fit normal plates onto this baseplate.
The rear of the car is completely pristine. Dealers will drill holes into this panel(and usually deeper into the bodywork of the frame) to fit standard plates.
Lakin make custom plates for the Mk7. The rear is easy: drill small holes through the panel, fit baseplate, attach plates with or without covers (recommends do this yourself, don't trust dealers).
For the front, he makes a baseplate to fit the predrilled holes, which protrudes 75mm each side of standard plates (as in the photo above) OR you can buy (expensive) custom colored plugs to fill these holes, and drill narrower holes for a perfectly fitting baseplate to match plates with or without covers.
I will go for the wider plate as in the photo.

Jimi
01-04-2014, 10:13 PM
What is the benefit of forking out for a bracket for the rear? I would have thought you just attach the number plate directly - simple, clean, flush (and free!).

tonymy01
01-04-2014, 10:39 PM
The rear is to hide ugly holes, and provide a good solid base for the plate protector to mount to over the top of the plate. Also so if you use Euro size rear plays, the mount can go into slimline hole separation so you don't have to have holes at the outer extremity of a Euro plate and no way to hide if you go slimline later.

CT69
02-04-2014, 05:40 AM
Also, the flimsy two-point upper attachment (of Qld plates, at least) results in significant vibration and/or rattle against the panel. Screwing the plate directly on is also more likely to damage the paintwork over time. A rear baseplate means the plate is not flush, but combined with a protector cover looks much better IMO

AdamD
02-04-2014, 08:17 AM
What is the benefit of forking out for a bracket for the rear? I would have thought you just attach the number plate directly - simple, clean, flush (and free!).

The photo above is of my car. I also have a rear bracket, and as Tony says, it's there to provide a better base for the numberplate, but also to provide another mounting surface should you wish to fit different-sized numberplates in the future without drilling more holes in the bumper. It's virtually invisible behind the plate though; here's a photo showing the rear bracket from the side (click on it to get the full-sized original and look at the plate up-close):

http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2014/04/20100919_volkswagen_golf_gti_013_800x533-1.jpg (http://www.users.on.net/~aday/misc/gti/20100919/20100919_volkswagen_golf_gti_013.jpg)

Dutch77
02-04-2014, 08:52 AM
So if I am attaching full sized Euro plates to my vehicle, am I right in saying I don't need to worry about the front (as this will mount directly to the VW bracket), but I may wish to consider a bracket for the rear to avoid wide drill holes and paint work damage if I was to ever end up with smaller plates on the car?

CT69
02-04-2014, 10:01 AM
@Dutch77: That sounds accurate. I can highly recommend giving Philip at Larkin a call; he is very familiar with the current models and can chat about the best approach with full size Euro plates front and back (if you are planning to get a protective cover, it may fit more snugly with his baseplate). Very helpful and sensible man!

brad
02-04-2014, 11:08 AM
Just mount your plates with double sided tape. No drill holes required.

I managed about 3 years before I had to re-do it

n0d3
02-04-2014, 12:27 PM

If you decide to sell your car or change plates of different sizes (with Lakin brackets) you can easily swap the base and not worry (the holes are chosen to fit the smallest plate size). CT69 has summarised everything in this thread, if in doubt just call Philip.

And attaching the number plate directly, if it rattles it'll probably ruin the paintwork.

Mountainman
02-04-2014, 03:21 PM
The rear is to hide ugly holes, and provide a good solid base for the plate protector to mount to over the top of the plate. Also so if you use Euro size rear plays, the mount can go into slimline hole separation so you don't have to have holes at the outer extremity of a Euro plate and no way to hide if you go slimline later.
Why would anyone ever need a protector for a rear plate? I can understand stone protection for the front but the rear???

tonymy01
02-04-2014, 03:25 PM
The protector is not for protection but for style.

Mountainman
02-04-2014, 03:47 PM
The protector is not for protection but for style.

Ah, I see. I'm for the clean, uncluttered no frame, no protector naked plate look myself. And on the base model I don"t have to worry about that ugly & seemingly unnecessary front base on the GTI / R.

ziggyboy
03-04-2014, 11:46 AM
+1 on having no frame/protector. Plates look really nice without them. The number plate borders gets hidden with frames so it's not as nice.

CT69
03-04-2014, 12:43 PM
It depends a lot on what style of plate you have, which varies from state to state. I agree many look better when you can see the border (especially if it is a colored).
My plates are identical to my Avatar seen here, and the black and white looks good in a black framed protector against the white paint of the car (and black front grill of the GTI, which I don't have yet)

n0d3
03-04-2014, 01:02 PM
Also with covers, you can get security screws to secure it against the plate if you're afraid of people stealing your plates.

CT69
20-04-2014, 08:47 AM
A quick update on Lakin baseplates and covers I ordered from Philip Reeve. They arrived on 17th as promised. The workmanship of the base plates is great, and they look fabulous. The covers will suit my plates quite well.
Instructions provided are very clear, and the couple of small queries I had were very promptly answered via email by Philip.
Now all I need is a car to put them on! (ETA 28-30th April). Will post more pics then.

Dutch77
20-04-2014, 09:37 AM
+1 on Philip's service and workmanship. He pushed my order through and it also arrived last week as promised and looks great. There's a small VWW discount as well for those that don't know.

Understand what people are saying re: uncluttered look, but I've ordered covers for the front and rear. Not a big expense and figured I'd try it out. If it looks bad then I'll just take them off. I'll post up some pics of the finished look.. I just need a car first.

CT69
20-04-2014, 10:15 AM
Dutch77: what option did you go for on the front? VWs wide OEM plastic bumper is much wider than my slimline non-Euro plate. I got Philip to make a baseplate to fit the existing holes, which is 7cm wider each side than my plates. In black and white (baseplate, number plates, white car) this will look good, and is much neater than the VW bumper.
The other option was to get perfectly matched white filler plugs for the existing holes, then fit a smaller baseplate to match the number plate. I didn't want to drill any extra holes, so avoided this.

Dutch77
20-04-2014, 10:28 AM
Dutch77: what option did you go for on the front? VWs wide OEM plastic bumper is much wider than my slimline non-Euro plate. I got Philip to make a baseplate to fit the existing holes, which is 7cm wider each side than my plates. In black and white (baseplate, number plates, white car) this will look good, and is much neater than the VW bumper.
The other option was to get perfectly matched white filler plugs for the existing holes, then fit a smaller baseplate to match the number plate. I didn't want to drill any extra holes, so avoided this.

That was easy for me - in SA we only have full sized Euros so it mounts straight on. :)

They are a total rip off but I like the look.. always chuckle when I see them fitted to Australian/Japanese cars, they just don't look right.

There is a chance that at some point during my ownership of this vehicle I will end up interstate, so I was particularly keen to avoid wide drill holes in the rear bumper. Ideally I'd shift to a slimline Euro look but who knows. Good to know I can check your out for my Queensland option. :)

CT69
20-04-2014, 10:48 AM
I have 372x100 at the front, and standard size (372x134) at the back. Philip has designed the spacing of the four drilled holes at the rear such that any size plate can be substituted in the future

wasabiz
20-04-2014, 11:41 AM
Hmm... Do you think I would need to get one of this if I were to get a Europlate over at WA?

CT69
20-04-2014, 12:14 PM
wasabiz: like many things we do to our cars, this is a pretty personal decision. My personalised plates have covers mostly to protect them (in Qld at least they are transferable from vehicle to vehicle). The Kingpin covers form a waterproof and dust proof seal with the base plate. They are sturdier than the standard $1 rubber edge cushions provided by most dealers (as advertisement more than plate protection) and better quality I think than Altrex protectors.
Why bother with a base plate?
The Lakin base plate at the rear protects the paintwork from being damaged by the number plate, and is designed to be interchangeable for any size plate without having to drill lots more holes in your car if you change plate size. At the front, it is neater and less bulky than the VW plastic bumper.
Suggest you check out the Lakin website.
I cannot speak highly enough of the customer service and workmanship provided by Philip Reeve.

Dutch77
20-04-2014, 12:16 PM
Hmm... Do you think I would need to get one of this if I were to get a Europlate over at WA?

You'd need something like CT69's set up if you went what's called baby Euro in WA, otherwise the standard size is full sized and fills the front holder in full. You guys get a lot of choices unlike us SAers.

Failing all that I see you also have frangipani plates. :wink:

wasabiz
20-04-2014, 12:23 PM
wasabiz: like many things we do to our cars, this is a pretty personal decision. My personalised plates have covers mostly to protect them (in Qld at least they are transferable from vehicle to vehicle). The Kingpin covers form a waterproof and dust proof seal with the base plate. They are sturdier than the standard $1 rubber edge cushions provided by most dealers (as advertisement more than plate protection) and better quality I think than Altrex protectors.
Why bother with a base plate?
The Lakin base plate at the rear protects the paintwork from being damaged by the number plate, and is designed to be interchangeable for any size plate without having to drill lots more holes in your car if you change plate size. At the front, it is neater and less bulky than the VW plastic bumper.
Suggest you check out the Lakin website.
I cannot speak highly enough of the customer service and workmanship provided by Philip Reeve.

Thanks for the info. Yeah, looks like I'm gonna have to go over to the website and have a chat with Philip.

armthehomeless
21-04-2014, 08:08 PM
Anyone got any pics of a Lakin plate colour coded on a GTI/R? Trying to decide what to do!

Jimi
21-04-2014, 09:05 PM
I don't think he generally colour codes as it'd be difficult to get an exact match and would look odd if it was slightly off. The options I saw were matte and gloss black as well as a chrome finish. I didn't see anyone with colour coded brackets in that very long mk6 thread either. He can customise anything though so perhaps someone has

CT69
01-05-2014, 07:16 AM
Hooray!
Received my GTI yesterday. All very very good.
Fitted front and rear Lakin brackets with Kingpin covers. Installation a breeze, takes about 30 min.
Definitely looks better than the OEM bumper at the front.

Dutch77
01-05-2014, 07:28 AM
Looks good CT69 - I've got pick-up tomorrow and will have a similar look except I've got the full sized Euro on the front so only a cover up there. I'll take a few snaps myself for comparison.

rati
28-05-2014, 01:43 PM
Hi all,

I've recently bought a brand new unregistered Golf Mk7 interstate. The car currently doesn't have any holes or mounts on the bumper which I can use to attach rego plates with screws.

Is it safe to drill into the bumper areas yourself? Has anyone here tried this before?

I've been told just to use self-tapping screws, but what gauge and length? :confused:

Cheers!

flight
28-05-2014, 02:44 PM
Hi all,

I've recently bought a brand new unregistered Golf Mk7 interstate. The car currently doesn't have any holes or mounts on the bumper which I can use to attach rego plates with screws.

Is it safe to drill into the bumper areas yourself? Has anyone here tried this before?

I've been told just to use self-tapping screws, but what gauge and length? :confused:

Cheers!

I have attached my plates on a previous car (Mk5 Golf) using some screws I found at Supercheap Autos. They are black in colour and are 10G X ½ inch with mush heads (quite large but flatish). In essence these are self-tapping screws. Being black and flat they are more easily accommodated when using plate frames. Just drill a small pilot hole for each screw.

One considerable advantage of fitting your own plates is that you are not looking at crooked plates for the life of the car, which is sometimes the result when the dealer gives the task to the most junior mechanic.

flight
28-05-2014, 02:46 PM
You can also buy one-way security screws, but be very very sure you never want to remove the plates.

team_v
28-05-2014, 02:58 PM
I would reccomend using some of those hard rubber spacer washers behind the number plate so it doesn't rub on the bodywork as well.

Guy_H
28-05-2014, 03:03 PM
I use heavy duty velcro - don't drill any holes :)

rati
28-05-2014, 03:07 PM
10G X ½ inch ... Just drill a small pilot hole for each screw.

Sounds good. I called a dealer and they also recommended 1/2" length and whatever gauge fits through the pre-drilled holes in the plates. Definitely will drill a pilot hole.

You can also buy one-way security screws, but be very very sure you never want to remove the plates.

Haha, yep I've seen those, but given I'm waiting for a slim-line plate in the meantime, I'll hold off :-)

I would recommend using some of those hard rubber spacer washers behind the number plate so it doesn't rub on the bodywork as well.

That's a great idea, thank you. I was actually looking for single-sided foam tape, but rubber spacers actually seem cheaper and easier to come by (at Bunnings, at least).

rati
28-05-2014, 03:15 PM
I use heavy duty velcro - don't drill any holes :)

Haha, seriously, velcro? How "heavy duty" is it -- strong enough to stop some punk who is determined to yank your plates off?

Once I get my slimline plate (in 6 weeks?!) I think I'll use one-way screws.

CT69
28-05-2014, 06:10 PM
Rati, for a more expensive but super looking option whereby your plates don't damage the paintwork underneath, I can highly recommend Lakin brackets; search their website or there is a complete separate thread on this topic

rati
28-05-2014, 06:35 PM
I can highly recommend Lakin brackets

Thanks CT69, I've seen a few threads about Lakin (https://www.lakinplates.com.au/) brackets. They seem expensive for what I want to do though, but definitely another option particularly if the holes in standard ACT plates don't line up with those on the slimline plates (though I suspect they will). Cheers!

Guy_H
29-05-2014, 01:55 PM
The self adhesive velcro we use is ~ 50mm wide, comes in a roll from Bunnings, we use three strips on each plate, so truckloads of grip. You have to pull the plates off slowly & carefully or you will mangle them. Holds well!

JustCruisn
29-05-2014, 02:10 PM
Double sided tape works for me, still on there after all these years.

CT69
29-05-2014, 02:27 PM
I don't know about durability, but Command Strips double sided tape is great and easily removed (used for picture hanging).
Have used these short term in the past (whilst waiting to install Lakin bracket).

rati
29-05-2014, 02:51 PM
The self adhesive velcro we use is ~ 50mm wide, comes in a roll from Bunnings, we use three strips on each plate, so truckloads of grip. You have to pull the plates off slowly & carefully or you will mangle them. Holds well!

That's pretty wide, so yeah would be lots of grip, and it's probably weather-proof too, as long as the adhesive side is all-right. Sounds cool.

rati
29-05-2014, 02:53 PM
Double sided tape works for me, still on there after all these years.

I don't know about durability, but Command Strips double sided tape is great and easily removed (used for picture hanging).
Have used these short term in the past (whilst waiting to install Lakin bracket).

Yeah I thought about these too, but unsure how they'd hold up in 40c heat / -10c cold / rain...

rati
31-05-2014, 12:01 PM
Hi,

Just a quick thanks to everyone for their suggestions -- job all done in less than 5 mins, too easy. The bumpers are plastic and were really easy to drill into. I just used stainless 10g x 15mm flat head screws with a 3mm pilot hole.

Mikey1
31-05-2014, 01:02 PM

I'm curious to know why you use this method, as compared to using double sided tape, given the plate can surely be prized off by sliding to one side? Is it for maintenance reasons?

Eaglehawk
31-05-2014, 09:04 PM
It's to transfer the plate to the Golf GTI MkVIII :)

jonoz
23-08-2014, 05:36 PM
Hi all,

Just looking finally at picking our number plates for the new R but after seeing some prestige ones on the euro size backing plate it looks a little funny.

The dealer has recommended in getting a euro on the front and a slimline for the rear.

Whats everyones thoughts?

Roadkill
23-08-2014, 05:50 PM
Personally I prefer the full-size euros on both sides, with striped covers. Don't know if it would be different on the new Golfs though

Eaglehawk
23-08-2014, 06:51 PM
Are you able to mix and match like that? We can't do that in the ACT. (Non-euro at one end)

jonoz
23-08-2014, 09:28 PM
Yep so in QLD we can do;

Euro 3x3 Motor Vehicle (520mm x 112mm)

Euro 3x3 Motor Vehicle Slimline (372mm x 100mm)

Eaglehawk
23-08-2014, 10:16 PM
Ah, ACT we also have option of Standard or Slimline Euro plates. But no indication of what the exact sizes are and whether you can mix/match from front/rear.

My Golf has non-Euro personalised plates, 100mm high up front, and 135mm at the rear. But doesn't the R have that stupid fixed plate up front, so just get whatever fits that?

jonoz
23-08-2014, 10:26 PM

See this QLD R with the non-Euro sized black that has the large backing that looks kinda bad?

That is why I am going towards getting the fullsize Euro on the front but on the back there isn't the same backing.

tonymy01
25-08-2014, 11:28 PM
On my MK6 I ripped that bugger off and put a custom Lakin metal plate holder that is much smaller (made to fit the mounting plugs but not be so tall, is effectively slimline plate height).
Do it sooner rather than later as that plastic monstrosity will leave scratch marks on the bumper.
The other option is pull it off and get the holes plugged/filled and colour matched.
The mk7R looks pretty much the same as the mk6 R, so I suspect the Lakin backing plate for the mk6R will fit.

Reason is that in NSW, the black Euro plate is considered custom and they only offer slimline size for the front. The white non custom is the only plate out of about 100 types offered here that fits the original holder properly!!

Wagoneer
26-08-2014, 07:09 AM
Ah, ACT we also have option of Standard or Slimline Euro plates. But no indication of what the exact sizes are and whether you can mix/match from front/rear.

My Golf has non-Euro personalised plates, 100mm high up front, and 135mm at the rear. But doesn't the R have that stupid fixed plate up front, so just get whatever fits that?

Have a look at http://www.rego.act.gov.au/assets/PDFs/Non-standard%20Plates%20application.pdf for ACT sizes and combinations.

Cheers

Jimi
26-08-2014, 09:38 AM
Unfortunately I don't think the Lakin bracket is as useful on the R as on the GTI (I have one). The plug holes on the R are quite close to the corners so the custom bracket can't be a whole lot smaller and still fit the existing holes.

On the GTI the plugs are in a different spot so it makes a meaningful difference. The quality of them is outstanding though.

I think a full size Euro on the front and Premium slimline on the back would look very strange.

tonymy01
26-08-2014, 07:31 PM
In NSW, the larger of the two plates must be on the rear.
The Lakin holder for the R is still quite a bit smaller than the plastic holder, e.g it doesn't protrude below the bumper into the intake area, and is a about 5mm less high art the top (lots less at the bottom) and about 1cm less wide each side (as observed by the subtle scratch marks where the original plastic thing sat, was how I just measured it).

jonoz
26-08-2014, 07:46 PM
Ended up doing;

Had a look at a GTI with the same plates and it definitely looks the best without changing anything.

I think in QLD the legislation around number plates is quite vague including the display of them considering that the dealership said its fine just to drive around with the registration stick until the personalized plates arrive...

armthehomeless
27-08-2014, 12:41 PM
I'll be removing my front plate mount this weekend and using bumper plugs. Will post pics :)

jonoz
27-08-2014, 01:52 PM
I'll be removing my front plate mount this weekend and using bumper plugs. Will post pics :)

Look forward to seeing it :)

Arnold
04-09-2014, 09:38 PM
Me too but why does VWA bring in cars with such a ghastly mounting plate that is way too large for NSW premium and Euro plates?

armthehomeless
05-09-2014, 03:43 PM
Didn't get around to it last weekend sorry. Might do it tomorrow.

jonoz
05-09-2014, 05:09 PM
Me too but why does VWA bring in cars with such a ghastly mounting plate that is way too large for NSW premium and Euro plates?

Maybe you should ask why NSW don't make plates that fit the European standard.

Kesh
05-09-2014, 10:02 PM
There's no way vw would remake tooling just for number plates in the Australian market haha. I guess it's up to us to make/buy the plates that fit!

Dutch77
05-09-2014, 10:47 PM
Maybe you should ask why NSW don't make plates that fit the European standard.

Lol, was going to say.. they're called Euro for a reason.

(Wonder if Chevy Luminas came fitted with Aussies in the Middle East).

I've got a full sized Euro Lakin bracket for the rear, and left the front stock, as I have SA Euro plates. From what I can tell Queensland offers full size as well as a slim size option, as well as some choice in letters/numbers and color - will need to be ordering some soon. :)

TimOzSF
06-09-2014, 01:14 AM
Went with the euros for mine after I saw two mk7s parked near each other. One had euro plates, the other standard state ones. The standard ones just looked wrong by comparison with the euros.

The Bone Ranger
06-09-2014, 09:07 AM
Euro plates look the business, but the notion of paying $150 per year for the privilege makes my blood boil. Thanks SA Government.

Andrew

TimOzSF
06-09-2014, 10:04 AM
Euro plates look the business, but the notion of paying $150 per year for the privilege makes my blood boil. Thanks SA Government.

Andrew

I feel for you. In WA we just pay once, up front. At least that's for the off the shelf (non-personalised) ones I got. And mine were negotiated in to the deal.

armthehomeless
06-09-2014, 11:53 AM
Alright, just finished removing the ugly black number plate mount and installing the bumper plugs.

Unfortunately the bumper plugs don't fit the holes left over by the mount plug holes. They are slightly too small and just flap around (see video at the bottom). The guys at Bumper Plugs were happy to take them back for a refund, but suggested trying some electrical tape around the outside to make the plug larger. Should be fine.

Had some difficulty getting the centre pins out of the existing lugs, but a small drill bit helped it along. It's really a simple process:

http://youtu.be/ec4fXXHmnyA

Jimi
06-09-2014, 12:40 PM
Looks far better, except the OCD in me can't handle the number plate not being dead centre

armthehomeless
06-09-2014, 12:42 PM
Looks far better, except the OCD in me can't handle the number plate not being dead centre
Haha. I didn't even notice til after I was done.

Not sure whether to put more holes in and straighten it or wait til I respray eventually

Plug Guy
07-09-2014, 07:50 PM
Usually we suggest folks try this trick if the hole is only 1-2 mm larger than needed: 2" strip of electrical tape, split lengthwise, then wrapped around the 'teeth' on the stem. Squeeze this a bit as you push the plug in, and it should expand behind the bumper cover, allowing the BumperPlugs to sit flush on the bumper and they are then secure and tight in place.

Keep me posted.

Thanks.

Moonee
27-10-2014, 11:12 AM
Hoping our new Mk7 standard GTI is just around the corner so need to start thinking about some specifics :)

Number plates - slim v full size

I can't justify Euro style plates but definitely want a slim plate on the front.

However wondering whether people think a full size plate on the back rather than another slim looks better. :cool:

jonoz
27-10-2014, 11:35 AM
Fullsize euro on the front and slimline on the rear.

For the extra ~$200 I think the fit on the front plate mount is worth it.

Moonee
27-10-2014, 12:12 PM
Thanks jonoz but I've ruled out getting Euro style plates.

jonoz
27-10-2014, 12:51 PM
Thanks jonoz but I've ruled out getting Euro style plates.

No probs, that was just my outcome from my thread when I bought the R.

http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/f197/personalised-plates-mk7-99358.html

You can see here what is involved in removing the euro-sized mount;

http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/f197/personalised-plates-mk7-99358-post1082749.html#post1082749

And then here a slimline on the euro-sized mount;

http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/attachments/f197/11466d1408796698-personalised-plates-mk7-img_1842_1-jpg

MIC89N
02-03-2015, 03:13 PM
Hi guys,

I have ordered some new euro plates. The small at the front and large at the rear ( New style euros). I have also spoke with Philip from Lakin Plates and placed an order on the screw less design along with the smaller bracket for the front so its flush with the plate. My MK7 R is the Lapiz blue and i have yet been able to find the paint code so i can order the correct plugs from bumper plugs. Would also appreciate if anyone knows the sizing of the predrilled holes in the factory mount on the front for the plate.

Mountainman
02-03-2015, 09:20 PM
Also, the flimsy two-point upper attachment (of Qld plates, at least) results in significant vibration and/or rattle against the panel. Screwing the plate directly on is also more likely to damage the paintwork over time. A rear baseplate means the plate is not flush, but combined with a protector cover looks much better IMO
Why would anyone need a plate protector on the rear plate? How is it going to get stone chipped? You don't drive down country roads in reverse.....

brad
03-03-2015, 07:37 AM
Why would anyone need a plate protector on the rear plate? How is it going to get stone chipped? You don't drive down country roads in reverse.....
Aesthetics

Making the attachment of the number plate look finished / professional.

Having the front number plate treatment match the rear

Dutch77
03-03-2015, 07:59 AM
^ This. I was a bit sceptical myself but I had a base plate on the rear with protector to match the front on my Mk7 when I had Euro plates in SA and it looked much better than the naked plate I had on my Mk6.

lenny555
25-05-2016, 01:45 PM
Gecleant no hole number plate suckers (http://www.minitorque.com/forum/f10/gecleant-no-hole-number-plate-suckers-118193/)

Number plate suckers.

kennyc
26-09-2017, 02:55 PM
Hi All,

Does anyone know how the standard issue fat Vic plates fit on the mk 7 GTI?
I changed my plates today as I'm keeping my Euro Plates for my new R, the issue is that the screw holes don't fit for the standard issue plates.
I have managed to have the front in by screwing in 2 screws on the top left and the rear plates by one screw on the top left.
I need it more secure. Is there another bracket that can placed on top?

Thanks

kennyc
26-09-2017, 06:27 PM
This thread can be closed/deleted.
My dealer has fitted the number plates and all sitting proper now

LibraR
29-09-2017, 04:25 PM
I attached both my front and rear plates with exterior grade self adhesive hook and loop from Bunnings. Has been there over a year including a number of ... errrm... "brisk" tests of wind resistance and no issues at all. The hook and loop (more like interlocking plastic than Velcro as such) provides some thickness as well as some shock resistance, so way superior to double sided tape for instance. Works a treat. No screws at all into the car. I have the Euro plates to fit the larger front mount point. Rear was no issue of course. I made sure both the car and plates where the tape would go were cleaned with isopropyl alcohol and viola!