PDA

View Full Version : Amarok detuned after software "upgrade" at dealer service?

graeme86
04-08-2014, 09:47 PM
Details are sketchy at the moment, friend of a friend took his Amarok in for a service and the dealer seems to have detuned the engine!

Dealer said they loaded a factory software "upgrade".

Previously had massive grunt but now all very doughy and definitely way down compared to before.

Dealer declined to uninstall the update (or could not).

Anyone else come across this?

Trying to fiind out more information but he has the bi-turbo as far as I know.

Transporter
04-08-2014, 09:59 PM
Yep, that's what happens. Not much can be done, only going back to the tuner to reinstall the tune.

graeme86
04-08-2014, 10:03 PM
Just to clarify, the Amarok has never been aftermarket chipped.

This is detuning the factory tune!

Umai Naa!!
04-08-2014, 10:31 PM
You can't roll back a software update on an ECU.

There's nothing untoward going on if it was a field campaign issued by VGA.

It would not have been phrased as an 'upgrade'. Maybe an update.

Plenty of reasons why it would've been issued, some relating to maintaining the longevity of the engine.

graeme86
04-08-2014, 10:55 PM
Yes, it would have been described to him as a software update.

He is rather aggrieved that he has now lost the extra performance he paid extra to get when he bought the higher spec engine i.e. now not fit for purpose.

Umai Naa!!
05-08-2014, 01:14 AM
Was there other work performed on the day?

The updates don't usually affect the performance all that much.

Transporter
05-08-2014, 08:01 AM
Did he buy the car new from the dealer or secondhand? It may have been remapped before. :?
If VW downgraded power from the engine via software upgrade? It won't be taken lightly, especially if it's noticeable. I'v been in the situation like this with Jeep KJ Cherokee, I've hated how it was driving after the Chrysler did software upgrade and the car lost some 20kW or so, apparantly to fix the A/T harsh shifting and shudder (which was still there after). We sold the Jeep before the warranty run out.

brad
05-08-2014, 02:48 PM
same thing happened on my wife's diesel captiva a number of years back. They did a software update becaus ethe torque converter was shuddering at 1800rpm (couldn't decide whether to lock or not). The end result was less power (not sure how that could have nbeen possible) & fuel usage rose 20%. thanks GMH/Daewoo/Glorius Leader.

vdubmotorworx
05-08-2014, 08:09 PM
Some vw software updates do change power outputs.....i here about this on polos and amaroks.....

Tornado_ALIVE
05-08-2014, 08:54 PM
VW brought out workshop campaign 23L8 some time ago. From what I have heard, it is a re-programming of the ECU that alters the torque delivery during take-up and release of the clutch and during the initial pull away phase. It has no effect on engine performance beyond that.

I have had the recall done on my Rok and it has not made a noticeable difference.