PDA

View Full Version : Skoda Assist

RogerMcDoger
04-08-2014, 08:11 PM
Has anyone got any thoughts on this? My car has it for a little bit longer, and it's time to decide if I should keep it or not. Any thoughts? Bad experiences? Good experiences? I understand it to be something like RACQ but dealt with through Allianz. We have RACQ already, and it's time to renew that. I really feel this is a double up, so if the Skoda one is 'better' in some way, I may stick to that and ditch RACQ.

Matt.

pandahill
05-08-2014, 12:39 PM
I was told that the roadside assist service actually is provided by RACQ in Qld (not sure on other states), so I let my RACQ membership lapse as I now have the Skoda one for the next 5years.

aware
02-02-2015, 07:28 PM
I had Allianz Roadside Assistance turn up last night after called Skoda assist. Was assuming it would either be them or NRMA.

Flat battery after vacuuming the car for a total of 10 minutes with the doors open and radio on - hmmm.

pandahill
03-02-2015, 12:51 PM
Had to use Skoda assist for the first time prior to Christmas, ripped a tyre open on a kerb.

I was down the Gold Coast and a local mini towing style operator arrived to fix it (the type with a 4wd and a car trailer)

Skoda assist appear to use whoever is local (and maybe cheapest)

Happy enough with their service though.

skodian
23-02-2015, 10:09 AM
I had Allianz Roadside Assistance turn up last night after called Skoda assist. Was assuming it would either be them or NRMA.

Yes in NSW it was NRMA 2 yrs ago when my Mrs flat out the battery with an undeclared cause.
Last year Christmas I had Allianz to replace the flat battery under warranty which is pretty as the new battery has 3 yrs extra warranty covered by Allianz

Flat battery after vacuuming the car for a total of 10 minutes with the doors open and radio on - hmmm.

If you read the other forums (such as Uk's Briskoda) , the current battery is under capacity. The new one fitted by Allianz has nearly 30% more in capacity than the original. This has also resolved a few issues in mine such as intermittently firing up only the one of the Bi-Xenon headlights (not at the same time) . I have also noticed the Car started smoother and the dipped kerb side mirror (during reverse) has returned smoothly to original position rather than stuttered

aware
24-04-2015, 03:43 PM
If you read the other forums (such as Uk's Briskoda) , the current battery is under capacity. The new one fitted by Allianz has nearly 30% more in capacity than the original. This has also resolved a few issues in mine such as intermittently firing up only the one of the Bi-Xenon headlights (not at the same time) . I have also noticed the Car started smoother and the dipped kerb side mirror (during reverse) has returned smoothly to original position rather than stuttered

Not going to bother looking at Briskoda.

Meanwhile, the battery has gone again. Took 2.5 hours to charge properly last time after the flat battery (verified by battery world who after my first hour of driving as per Allianz instructions tested the abttery and it wasn't fully charged, and a follow up check by battery world after the first test plus another hour and a half of driving). Will see what happens when the turn up in the next hour or so.

Only 5 weeks until it's gone.

aware
24-04-2015, 08:59 PM
Allianz turned up at about 4 today.

Still wouldn't start - cranked then went to clicking. They did a battery test, which said that the battery was fine. Again, attempted to start and nothing. Jump started and started as normal. Battery is charging properly, but no one can explain why it keeps dying. Thankfully I had the afternoon off so I took the car to our nearest dealer - 'we've finished for the day - you can book in for next week'.

Congrats to Skoda assist call centre who said that if the battery needs to be replaced, and they don't have any to fit then there's nothing more that they can do.

aware
26-04-2015, 04:43 PM
Drove out to Terrey Hills this morning, so a good run of approximately 25kms and for about 25 minutes. Park the car. Car is parked for about 30 minutes and then I needed to move it to load what we'd bought. Parked the car, opened the tailgate. Loaded the car - 5 minutes if that. Shut the boot, and then go to start the car. Car can't find the key, dashboard goes haywire - needles on the dial go halfway through a swing and everything shuts down. Push the start button again after waiting 15 seconds and it fires up straight away.

Very odd behaviour now.

skodian
29-04-2015, 04:43 PM
Drove out to Terrey Hills this morning, so a good run of approximately 25kms and for about 25 minutes. Park the car. Car is parked for about 30 minutes and then I needed to move it to load what we'd bought. Parked the car, opened the tailgate. Loaded the car - 5 minutes if that. Shut the boot, and then go to start the car. Car can't find the key, dashboard goes haywire - needles on the dial go halfway through a swing and everything shuts down. Push the start button again after waiting 15 seconds and it fires up straight away.

Very odd behaviour now.

I do not understand why Allianz have no batteries as I have seen their UTE carried a ranges of batteries while doing mine.
I would try fitting the battery 1st since odd behavior has happened on mine with Xenon light (firing 1 side of the bulb at different time)and exterior mirror (not returning smoothly from dipping position to memorized position)

You may want to try killing the battery (low voltage/high drain) accidentally by leaving the car with high beam for a couple of hours and have them replaced them battery.

aware
02-05-2015, 08:03 PM
That was Skoda saying that - no idea whether Allianz would carry them, but I am guessing that the battery fits other cars so it doesn't make a lot of sense that they wouldn't be able to source one.

I have thought about that, but with 1 month until changeover it's honestly not worth the effort IMO. Roadside has been there within the hour each time, so if it happens again I'll just go through that process. Had 2 months between both no-start scenarios so we should be fine - sounds like a stupid approach I will admit, but I'm over it.