PDA

View Full Version : Golf R v GTI Performance

andrew7
30-07-2014, 05:58 PM
G'day guys

As you may know I recently wrote off my Lapiz Blue R after just 2 months driving thanks to a high speed collision with a 1 ton Bull :( The good news is that I'm OK and get to start over and choose a new car :)

Having decided against the extra $$ spend for the Audi S3, I'm tossing and turning over a choice between another R or a GTI Performance. The notional gap is $6k but it narrows after my negotiations to about $4.2k when you spec both with leather and Driver Assistance package. I did enjoy my brief time in the R, an impressive angry beast when poked, but did occasionally have concerns that the ride was a fraction firm (but still comfortable) on the country roads I travel. Ride quality appears better with the Performance even tho it also rides on 19's. GTI performance is well rated (9/10 in Wheels mag v 8/10 for the R) and clearly more than adequate, engine note sounds good (though I am yet to drive it). Anyway, thoughts/comments appreciated so I can make up my mind!

wasabiz
30-07-2014, 06:14 PM
If I had the extra cash... I woulda went for the R instead of the GTI performance.... but to get a specced up R wasn't cheap (over 65k) over at the west =/ they wouldn't even budge that much for mine. ( I tried 3 dealership )

Jimi
30-07-2014, 06:39 PM
Manual R would be my pick!

Dutch77
30-07-2014, 07:48 PM
If you've got that gap down to just over $4k then as above, I'd be going the R without hesitation.

For me the gap from my standard GTI to basic R was in the five figure range and therefore sticking to the standard GTI was a no-brainer.

mfl
30-07-2014, 09:39 PM
just did the VW Drive experience at Eastern Creek, and drove both the GTI PP and the R. On the fast full laps around Eastern Creek, the R felt tighter and was flatter in the corners and was stronger in the top-end and sounded better. Brakes felt good on both. On the shaloms and wet cornering we used the PP and it was quite agile and the new diff on the PP was impressive in the wet corner exercise.

Apart from drive both, my feeling would be if you do a lot of country driving the R would be well suited. If you do a lot of driving on tight hilly roads, the PP might be more suited.

andrew7
30-07-2014, 09:55 PM
Great feedback thanks mfl (et al). Given the relative 'value' equation, incredible all-round performance, top end grunt/power of the R (and AWD) I think it's a winner. This time around I'll switch to pure white :)

mgs996tt
30-07-2014, 10:05 PM
Great feedback thanks mfl (et al). Given the relative 'value' equation, incredible all-round performance, top end grunt/power of the R (and AWD) I think it's a winner. This time around I'll switch to pure white :)

Andrew7....are you able to share price of the Golf R via post or PM?

Cheers

Paul_R
31-07-2014, 07:03 AM
This only applies if you're thinking of a manual probably. With the Mk6 I've said to people get the GTI if you live in the city and get the R if you live in the country. Reason being the GTI Has a bottom end and the R doesn't so the manual GTI is better in traffic. As the Mk7 now has a bottom end thanks to the variable exhaust thingy I would suggest everyone get an R if they can afford it.

Dutch77
31-07-2014, 07:59 AM
..As the Mk7 now has a bottom end thanks to the variable exhaust thingy I would suggest everyone get an R if they can afford it.

I disagree a little, which does contradict my comment above though.

I could have afforded to jump up to a PP and then to an R if I had wanted to, but I did not see any value in those models for my purposes (I emphasise the my here). I think ultimately that is why it's good to come on here and get some feedback on the question, but then use that information to make the best decision for yourself.

aj555
31-07-2014, 02:51 PM
I went for the PP over the GTI - I wanted the Xenon's as I had them in a previous car. It was a $2k option on the GTI, so I figured for another $2k I would be get the PP with 19", electronic diff, alcantara & LED taillights. The R would be nice, but we all have a budget to work to.

wasabiz
31-07-2014, 04:31 PM
I went for the PP over the GTI - I wanted the Xenon's as I had them in a previous car. It was a $2k option on the GTI, so I figured for another $2k I would be get the PP with 19", electronic diff, alcantara & LED taillights. The R would be nice, but we all have a budget to work to.

Can't agree more to this.

irossiter
31-07-2014, 05:01 PM
I was VERY unhappy when I found out we weren't getting the manual GTI PP. That's one of the reasons I jumped ship to Merc (failure). I didn't want 19's either. I'd had 2 GTI's and 2nd one loaded up with extras. Swore I'd never have a car without brilliant Xenons again either. Then they stop allowing them as an option by the time I come back to VW! ;-(
I think the perfect Golf would be a GTI with AWD. I think they've made the R a bit too hard core for everyday driving (I'm sounding old now !). The Audi S3 is a much more relaxed car but still hammers when you need it to. Get to drive dad's :-). He's 78 and doesn't drive it like he should!
I would have bought a non PP GTI sunroof, driver assist and Xenons if I could have found one. Found a PP demo with. 80kms on it and VERY happy. I wouldn't want any more power through the front wheels though. Even more axle tramping! I also desperately miss my manual but the VAG DSG is at least 2 generations ahead of the miserable Merc equivalent. GTI or R? Both brilliant cars. Can't lose.

daveee
31-07-2014, 06:04 PM
I was a bit put off by the small hatch area in the R because of the Haldex. My other half also didn't like the GTI wheels so ended up with the PP. Do miss the manual a bit though.

andrew7
31-07-2014, 06:19 PM
In a stunning U-turn I've ditched the Idea of replacing my written of Mk7 R with another R or GTI PP given family constraints (1 car family for 12 months, poor boot space in the R as pointed out by davvee above makes it untenable as a family 'wagon') and instead have ordered a new white Passat Alltrack with custom matte black powder coated rims and tint (very good deal helped ease my pain of waving goodbye to the R). Further, I will bide my time and satisfy my need for speed when we need a 2nd car in 12 months with the next generation bargain Polo GTI (will be running the tasty VAG 1.8l turbo it appears). Farewell for some time Golf :(

Eaglehawk
31-07-2014, 08:00 PM
Wise Choice :)

(I've got an Alltrack too)

andrew7
31-07-2014, 08:09 PM
^ Absoultely Eaglehawk, tried and tested, gutsy diesel good for the snow + road trips = win :) Will miss the VAG turbo petrol and the addictive DSG fart in the short term but looking forward to the new improved Polo GTI to scratch that itch in 2015.

mfl
31-07-2014, 09:12 PM
Hi Andrew7,

I think calling it a 'stunning u-turn' is a massive understatement ! you went from an S3 to an R or GTI PP to a diesel SUV. - you certainly covered a wide range of alternatives.

Jimi
31-07-2014, 09:18 PM
There's a new Passat around the corner and it looks awesome. Could you have waited for that and just jammed everyone into an R in the meantime?

andrew7
01-08-2014, 08:07 AM
The Passat's about 12 months away at least and the Alltrack some time after that so….we do currently have a company car Alltrack which this car will replace so its a known quantity and works well. Anyway, its a compromise but looking forward to the Polo GTI in due course...

Paul_R
01-08-2014, 12:43 PM
Nice one. I'm trying to get my wife out of her enormous gas guzzling front wheel drive CX9 into an Alltrack. She's got more parking scratches and dents on it than I can count. We've got 3 kids, never use the 3rd row seats, and are near the snow. No luck so far.

Dutch77
01-08-2014, 01:09 PM
I'll definitely be pushing a Passat or Octavia wagon as the eventual 'family car' replacement.

Although based on this forum I probably should be organising a VRS order soon to get it in time. ;)

tigger73
01-08-2014, 01:20 PM
I'll definitely be pushing a Passat or Octavia wagon as the eventual 'family car' replacement.

Although based on this forum I probably should be organising a VRS order soon to get it in time. ;)

Dutch, just wait for the Golf R wagon....

Dutch77
01-08-2014, 01:22 PM
Dutch, just wait for the Golf R wagon....

Would VWA have the sense to bring it out here?

I'd probably need to drive the family car then though. ;)

tigger73
01-08-2014, 01:34 PM
Would VWA have the sense to bring it out here?

That's very good question. My guess is if the Golf R wagon did get made (and then made in RHD), it would be a very slim chance to ever get here. Given that the Golf wagon is a small number of Golf sales VWA would probably see the Golf R wagon as an even smaller market segment... though I think it would end up a cult classic like the R36.

I'd probably need to drive the family car then though. ;)

Yeah small sacrifice!

andrew7
01-08-2014, 02:14 PM

^ Dutch, was looking as well at an Octavia RS Wagon as a "performance" oriented wagon but the wait times are a joke (and forget about test driving one) and I need my replacement car ASAP (well as soon as the insurance hire car runs out/the R lease+insurance payout is sorted).

My dealer had literally just received a white Passat Alltrack into stock, was prepared to deal on price and with a tint and powdercoating the std wheels matte black it'll do quite nicely as a good looking long term all rounder and ski+beach weekender (leaving me to regularly turnover performance VAG hot hatches as the 2nd car/runabout ;) hence the likely purchase of a next gen Polo GTI (or maybe base Golf GTI) in 12 months :) ).

godzilla_110TDI
01-08-2014, 06:15 PM
Isn't the new Passat getting the R engine and driveline?

irossiter
01-08-2014, 06:46 PM
Very nice choice Andrew. I was looking at one of those but my wife wanted an SUV. Tiguan too small. I think an Alltrack would be a perfect quality family car and yes the new one will be at least 18 months away.

tigger73
01-08-2014, 06:56 PM
Isn't the new Passat getting the R engine and driveline?

It looks like this is going to be an option on overseas models but we'll have to wait and see what engine options are brought into Aus.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jimi
01-08-2014, 09:40 PM
I think it will get the R engine because as far as I can see there is no V6 and something will need to replace the current top of the line car that has 220kw.

There's a very strong TDI option which might be the best of them all (if we get it). The GTI engine will also make it into the new Passat

andrew7
05-08-2014, 04:10 PM
Ok, having second thoughts :facepalm: My wife has actually given me the all clear to replace the R with another R, after all as she says it did save my life! Driving my wife's All Track around town over the weekend was feeling a little sad, it's a nice drive and all but a tad pedestrian versus the R. Stay tuned, am getting my dealer to see how quickly he can source me another R this time in Pure White (occasionally bung on some roof racks and it's your performance 'wagon' right? ;) )

amatsd
05-08-2014, 08:02 PM
Just get it...!

Or go the full hog and get the nicer S3 :p

:)

andrew7
05-08-2014, 08:37 PM
^ Thanks amatsd :) Thinking more and more I'll likely will re-order an R. Whilst do really like the S3 (interior is beautiful) I but just can't justify the extra $10k spend (i.e inc PP, metallic paint etc) The R is a bit of a sleeper and and a relative bargain in the high po hot hatch stakes