PDA

View Full Version : Group Buys

dmm_au
02-11-2007, 10:55 AM
Has anyone had any experience with Group Buys on this or other forums?

Professionally I work in Procurement, so see great value in consolidating volume, evaluating product offerings and negotiating better prices.

I imagine there are a number of things we all need, for example regular service visits, and other things we might want if the collective wisdom evaluated it as the product of choice. For example tyres or accessories like the Water Bra.

http://www.michellessacs.com.au/default.asp?catid=1414&pagetype=productlist&selectedcatid=1169

If this were to work, I imagine it would need to be done in a more localise way, so as to avoid currency and shipping issues. So this forum seems like a good place to raise it.

David

Tim
02-11-2007, 10:59 AM
group buys are always a great idea so long as people commit!
The big problem is getting people to put their money where their mouth is.
I tend to find some people get impatient as well.

Transporter
02-11-2007, 02:48 PM
Make list of accesories with retail prices in one column and wish price in second column, if someone is interested - she/he puts his name down. When you collected enough people to by item negotiate the price, confirm the price with supplier and ask for 30% deposit from people who wanted item.
I'm positive that any Treg owner would put money where her/his mouth is.:)
Cheers.

dmm_au
23-11-2007, 02:32 PM
There are a few items that I would like to buy for myself, and I'd be happy to try an negotiate a group buy.

I see the advantages as;
Possibly a better than advertised price
The ability to combine research so as to select the best product
Some standardisation in terms of the equipment we use, so as to be able to learn more from the experiences of other over time.

Items I want;
Portable Air Compressor to reinflate 4-5 tyres after dropping pressure. ~$200
Staun Tyre Deflators to simplify the process of dropping tyre pressure ~$75
Water Bra for river crossings ~$150

I suggest if there is interest;
we start a thread for each product,
find potential products and suppliers and
encourage feedback from those who have or have used these products previously.

We can create a short list, and I'll then approach suppliers for group or volume discounts.

Transporter
23-11-2007, 03:52 PM
12V air compressor.
Blue tongue single cyl. or twin. would be good choice by me.
Can anybody comment on reliablity and long life. I know that spre parts are available for it. I currently have BushRanger in my van I use it almost every day and will not last 2 years (losing pressure) it is rated 72l/min.
I'll get two one for van one for Treg.

shami
23-11-2007, 05:00 PM
There are a few items that I would like to buy for myself, and I'd be happy to try an negotiate a group buy.

I see the advantages as;
Possibly a better than advertised price
The ability to combine research so as to select the best product
Some standardisation in terms of the equipment we use, so as to be able to learn more from the experiences of other over time.

Items I want;
Portable Air Compressor to reinflate 4-5 tyres after dropping pressure. ~$200
Staun Tyre Deflators to simplify the process of dropping tyre pressure ~$75
Water Bra for river crossings ~$150

I suggest if there is interest;
we start a thread for each product,
find potential products and suppliers and
encourage feedback from those who have or have used these products previously.

We can create a short list, and I'll then approach suppliers for group or volume discounts.

I dont suppose ure an accountant or lawyer?