PDA

View Full Version : Will Audi A4 wheels fit my Superb?

cascade1983
23-07-2014, 02:41 PM
Hi All,

Need your help here, please.

While I was looking for new tyres, just realized that for the same price I can get bigger, slightly used wheels and tyres. I'm currently running on 205/55/16, so I was thinking of getting 17 or 18... There are plenty of Audi's wheels there, especially from A4, PCD seems to be the same 5x112, offset is also ok anywhere between 39 to 48. However there is a mixed info on centre bore, some say it is 57.1 (same as Superb as far as I know) and some say 66.5.

any idea if they will fit my Superb? if centre bore is 66.5, how critical is it and can it still be used on Superb?

Cheers,

Dutch77
23-07-2014, 03:03 PM
It's actually rare to find wheels outside OEM that are a direct match for the 57mm CB; hub-centric rings will solve this issue and are available from a number of different sources. I have read some reviews of people not even bothering with them, although I cannot confirm whether this risks any issues - it's a mixed bag of commentary mainly from the USA VW sites.

eg. both sets of my OZs came as 66mm IIRC with hub- centric rings provided.

The main thing will be to make sure your new wheels are ok offset wise (as you seem to have picked up) and that your tyre size is within parameters.

cascade1983
23-07-2014, 03:42 PM
It's actually rare to find wheels outside OEM that are a direct match for the 57mm CB; hub-centric rings will solve this issue and are available from a number of different sources. I have read some reviews of people not even bothering with them, although I cannot confirm whether this risks any issues - it's a mixed bag of commentary mainly from the USA VW sites.

eg. both sets of my OZs came as 66mm IIRC with hub- centric rings provided.

The main thing will be to make sure your new wheels are ok offset wise (as you seem to have picked up) and that your tyre size is within parameters.

Thanks, Dutch... Now, pardon my stupidity, but where do I get them from and is there a size or something? Also is it hard to install?

Offset seems to be fine between Audi and Skoda, tyre size: Skoda uses 225/45/17, Audi seems to be 225/50/17, so I figured out it shouldn't be much of a difference.

Dutch77
23-07-2014, 03:50 PM
No stupid questions - there's certainly a range available on the internet via ebay and the like, I would expect some tyre/wheel places would also sell them as an accessory. No dramas for installation. My experience in both is limited though as both sets of OZ wheels I've had in the last 18 months came supplied with them - if anyone else can chip in an expert comment please do so. :)

Hillbilly
23-07-2014, 03:55 PM
Just remember there are restrictions on how big you can go. In most states you may not fit anything that is over 26mm larger overall diameter.

Not sure about WA but the appropriate dept will tell you Also going to big will affect your speedo and gearing markedly.

brad
23-07-2014, 05:25 PM
Been there / done that - twice!

Earlier A4s were 57.1mm centrebore, later are 66.????mm. You can buy hubrings online or from good tyer places. They start at $15/set for plastic ones & go up from there.

Going to 225/50r17 is do-able if you aren't lowered. You'll scrape on hard cornering if you have dropped the springs as well.

You also need to check your speedo with a GPS (preferably 2) and do some calcs as to whether it will make your speedo read too slow.

I have an Octavia & have gone from 205/55r16 to 235/45r17 to 225/55r16 to 225/50r17. Each has been a bit bigger diameter & now my speedo is 100=100 which might not be suitable for the drivers of your car (and the factory error in the Superb might not be as bad as the Octavia).

Just remember the difference in diameter between 225/45r17 7 225/50r17 is about 22mm comparing new with new. When yopu compare worn (say 3mm tread) wityh new the difference is about 32mm. That's quite substantial.

If you want to take it further then post up your indicated speed & GPS speed & I'll try & work out what the change will be.

cascade1983
23-07-2014, 05:30 PM
Just remember there are restrictions on how big you can go. In most states you may not fit anything that is over 26mm larger overall diameter.

Not sure about WA but the appropriate dept will tell you Also going to big will affect your speedo and gearing markedly.

Mate, I honestly have no idea what you've just said... :) What do you mean by "how big you can go"?

cascade1983
23-07-2014, 05:39 PM
Been there / done that - twice!

Earlier A4s were 57.1mm centrebore, later are 66.????mm. You can buy hubrings online or from good tyer places. They start at $15/set for plastic ones & go up from there.

Going to 225/50r17 is do-able if you aren't lowered. You'll scrape on hard cornering if you have dropped the springs as well.

You also need to check your speedo with a GPS (preferably 2) and do some calcs as to whether it will make your speedo read too slow.

I have an Octavia & have gone from 205/55r16 to 235/45r17 to 225/55r16 to 225/50r17. Each has been a bit bigger diameter & now my speedo is 100=100 which might not be suitable for the drivers of your car (and the factory error in the Superb might not be as bad as the Octavia).

Just remember the difference in diameter between 225/45r17 7 225/50r17 is about 22mm comparing new with new. When yopu compare worn (say 3mm tread) wityh new the difference is about 32mm. That's quite substantial.

If you want to take it further then post up your indicated speed & GPS speed & I'll try & work out what the change will be.

Thanks a lot for such a detailed reply!

Car isn't lowered, standard factory springs.

So did I get it right, that I would need to get some hubrings and it should be ok and the only problem I might have is speedo not showing correct speed?

Hillbilly
23-07-2014, 05:45 PM
Mate, I honestly have no idea what you've just said... :) What do you mean by "how big you can go"?
Ok in plain language If your existing wheel and tyres have a diameter of say 880mm you can only legally go to 906 mm diameter.

Diameter is the measurement across the full width of a circle

Look here for how to work out the difference in sizes

Custom rims, wheel tire packages for your ride - RIMSnTIRES.com (http://rimsntires.com/specspro.jsp)

Will also tell you the speedo readings at the different sizes.

Your OP asked about "bigger" so I thought it was reasonably plain really.

cascade1983
23-07-2014, 05:57 PM
Ok in plain language If your existing wheel and tyres have a diameter of say 880mm you can only legally go to 906 mm diameter.

Diameter is the measurement across the full width of a circle

Look here for how to work out the difference in sizes

Custom rims, wheel tire packages for your ride - RIMSnTIRES.com (http://rimsntires.com/specspro.jsp)

Will also tell you the speedo readings at the different sizes.

Your OP asked about "bigger" so I thought it was reasonably plain really.

Got it now, cheers.

brad
24-07-2014, 07:57 AM
Thanks a lot for such a detailed reply!

Car isn't lowered, standard factory springs.

So did I get it right, that I would need to get some hubrings and it should be ok and the only problem I might have is speedo not showing correct speed?
Indeed you did.

Just do your sums first regarding the speedo. You don't want it reading 100 when your are doing 102

just about any of the VW group wheels will fit. You might even get some nice A5 wheels but the offset might be a bit agressive. Superb is probably ET50 on a 6.5" rim. You can push it out to ET40 on an 8" rim.

I haven't bought any new tyres in the last 135,000km. I've fitted 3 sets of 2nd hand rims/tyres. The most I've paid is ~$450. 2 of the sets only had 1mm of wear on them and they've been good quality Michelin or Bridgestone. Just keep an eye on Ebay & Gumtree & the forums.