PDA

View Full Version : Caddy High Level Brake Light Cracking

wai
21-07-2014, 10:01 PM
G'day,

There was a short discussion on the Caddy2k forum on this where a number of Caddy owners had experienced the high level brake light cracking.

Around a year ago, I discovered mine had cracked and I put it down to a tradie hitting it with something like a scaffolding plank, as I had seen a near miss in a car park.

It turns out that it might well be a design flaw where the light does not match the curvature of the tailgate, and if the attaching screws are done up tight, then flexing, or even high temperatures could result in it cracking.

It might seem trivial, but a replacement costs over $100 if you can buy one in Australia (the dealer was prepared to order one, as long as they fitted it as well, and charged for it). I ended up having to import one from Germany via a cousin in the UK as the German reseller would not ship to Australia, and the whole exercise set me back 50 GBP.

Apparently, the trick is not to tighten it up too much if you are replacing it, or backing off the screws if it has not already cracked. To prevent losing the screws altogether, you apply a strip of duct tape over the screws and the bodywork.

So, has anyone discovered they have a cracked high level brake light on their Caddy?

buzuki
21-07-2014, 10:08 PM
Interesting, Ive changed quite a few of these for being cracked, always thought they'd been hit.

Will be interested to see the rest of the responses

vdubmotorworx
22-07-2014, 06:22 AM
Changed about 10 this year. Usually on older caddy's ....thought it was more to do with age and sun damage...causing the plastic to get weak and then all the slamming of the back door finishing them off....VDUB...

wai
22-07-2014, 07:19 AM
Interesting, Ive changed quite a few of these for being cracked, always thought they'd been hit.

As I said, my first thought, however there are no scuff marks on the lens, and hitting it with anything should also see the bodywork also damaged. There might not be scratches, but the bodywork should have suffered some damage at least.

From VW's point of view, this is a very easy one to dismiss given that you would have to have a video of the crack actually happening to prove otherwise, even if you never park in an area where a strike was likely to happen.

wai
22-07-2014, 10:48 AM
Well, guess what!!!!!!

I checked my high level brake light on my Caddy, and found it has fractured in EXACTLY the same way.

Everything is flush on the lens, and there is no panel damage. Don't be confused by the weird "marking" on the left. It is a reflection of the corner of the roof of my house.

This is now getting silly, and very expensive. First, VW said it must have been hit and the screws were done up correctly. Now, it is clear it has not been hit, and the screws are only finger tight.

fmflex
23-07-2014, 03:09 PM
Hi Wai

I'd be very interested in hearing how you go with dealing with this. Mine was replaced at 3 1/2 years after it had an internal short which meant the centre stop light was always on. Not had any problems since then and mine's almost 5 years old.

wai
23-07-2014, 05:00 PM
Hi Wai

I'd be very interested in hearing how you go with dealing with this. Mine was replaced at 3 1/2 years after it had an internal short which meant the centre stop light was always on. Not had any problems since then and mine's almost 5 years old.

I will. I do not expect much from VAG. It will be their usual line of "standard for that type of vehicle".

My suspicion is that the dealers are simply using silicone to mount them.

The problem (probably worse for me as I have a tailgate instead of doors) is that the lens is used to provide rigidity for the assembly, only the part that you screw is stressed as you try to mount it. It flexes and transfers this to the lens. If you install it when it is warm, when t gets cold (and we have had some very cold nights), everything shrinks and this effectively bends the lens. The lens mounting surface is flat, whereas the opening in the tailgate is curved The mounting effectively tries to bend the lens and this causes it to crack.

You can relieve this a little by releasing the barbed pegs on either end of the lens. You don;t have to do this to the new one you get, just modify the one you are replacing. Also, use silicone to seal it, and it is just finger tight - let the head come in contact and then no more than 1/4 turn. Tape over it to avoid losing the screw if it comes out. You could even use silicone here.

Tonz
24-07-2014, 12:28 PM
I realise it could be a long hunt, but would this light match up with any other car/van

wai
24-07-2014, 01:18 PM
I realise it could be a long hunt, but would this light match up with any other car/van

Chances are it will not.

Car makers intentionally design external visible fittings to be unique as a way of ensuring the buyer HAS to come back to them for replacements. Even when they are manufactured by a third party, there is an exclusive arrangement when it comes to supply. Just wait until a car manufacturer decides to have a wheel rim of say 16.5" and they hold the exclusive rights to manufacture that wheel size and the accompanying tyre. Then you can ONLY buy wheels and tyres from them :-)

In case you had not realised, a ream of paper is normally 500 sheets, however Officeworks have an exclusive arrangement with the paper manufacturers for their packs (also described as a ream) have 550 sheets. Now you know why they can guarantee they cannot be beaten on price because NO ONE can find a pack of 550 sheets other than at Officeworks. The supermarkets are the same with packaging sizes.

Car makers do precisely the same thing. Design them to be just that little bit different to make it exclusive. Now this would not stop someone manufacturing a small adaptor out of plastic that corrects the mismatch between the tailgate and the lens, but that costs money and might detract from the look a little. Even adapting an adhesive one that you stick on the inside of the window glass has to contend with the CANBUS issues.

wai
30-07-2014, 11:28 AM
G'day Caddy owners.

If you have had the high level brake light crack and have a photograph of it, can you please post it here? If you have the cracked unit that you have replaced, please hang on to it and if you have not photographed it and posted the photograph here, can you please do so?

It's just that VW are looking into this, and the more "ammo", the better to stop us having to keep paying for replacements.

Thanks.

wai
30-07-2014, 08:21 PM

I have had a few responses from people on the Caddy2k forum. I don't know if you either still have the cracked ones, or took photographs of them. If you have them and/or photographs, it would be good to post them here as I am putting together an album to send to VW Australia.

wai
30-07-2014, 08:22 PM
Changed about 10 this year. Usually on older caddy's ....thought it was more to do with age and sun damage...causing the plastic to get weak and then all the slamming of the back door finishing them off....VDUB...

I have had a few responses from people on the Caddy2k forum. I don't know if you either still have the cracked ones, or took photographs of them. If you have them and/or photographs, it would be good to post them here as I am putting together an album to send to VW Australia.

wai
03-08-2014, 10:32 AM
Just come back from getting my Sunday newspapers where I was parked two cars down from a silver Caddy Life. I noticed the lower right corner of the high level brake light was missing, so I approached the driver to try and get some information.

He was extremely angry because at firse he thought I'd done it, and then as had just (a few months ago) replaced the light because it had cracked, and he put it down to being hit by a scaffolding plank. By the way this was not the first time it had been replaced. He had lost count of the number of times t had been replaced at just under $200 each time by the dealer.

I asked him if I could take a picture of it after explaining why, but he declined, so no photograph.

wai
07-08-2014, 08:03 AM
Just a follow up.

I was on my way down to Bendigo when I got a call from VW Customer Care following up this issue. The lady was toeing the company line and trying to deal with it as a "warranty claim" insisting it was a "one off" failure. I explained that I have had had TWO fail in exactly the same way. She then said that VW do not act on photographs and so I have to now have the vehicle inspected. I have to do this when I return to Sydney.

I'm going to be careful as I can see them wanting to take all the evidence and then claim "it's standard for that type of vehicle".

Before coming to Bendigo, I was at the Toongabbie shops where there was a Caddy Maxi. Checked the light and it was cracked. Spoke to the owner who was annoyed as he had no idea it had cracked, or how long it was cracked.

While driving down, there was a pink Mk 3 heading to Canberra that passed me, and its brake light was cracked. I stopped at a rest area where there was a coffee vendor operating out of the back of a Caddy Maxi van. The brake light was cracked. Driving down the main street of Yass there were two Caddy's parked up and both had their brake lights cracked. It has now reached a point where just about every Caddy I see has a cracked brake light.

What amazes me is that VW are persisting with the line that it is a "one off" failure. They must be replacing these in the holding yards before being sent out to dealers, and dealers must be replacing them prior to sale.

One thing about the Germans is that they have a habit of keeping meticulous records, so the spares supply records will clearly show the number of replacements.

Anyhow, I'll keep you posted. It's almost like the line about motorcyclists. There are those who have had an accident, and those who will have an accident!!!!! Just so you know I don't hate motorcyclists, I am from the first group and a pretty serious encounter with a car :-)

psyone
07-08-2014, 08:32 AM
i just checked mine and it has small cracks all through it. its harder to see them because i used Nightshade paint to tint all rear lights but they are there. must be a flawed design not suitable for aussie sun perhaps ?

wai
07-08-2014, 01:04 PM
i just checked mine and it has small cracks all through it. its harder to see them because i used Nightshade paint to tint all rear lights but they are there. must be a flawed design not suitable for aussie sun perhaps ?

No, not the sun, just a flawed design, and it is actually the cold that causes the failure.

The light is designed with a mounting piece an lens and an LED strip. They all clip together and are mounted via the mounting strip.

Unfortunately, the mounting strip is EXTREMELY flexible, and the assembly appears rock solid because the mounting strip hooks into the lens.

Next, the lens mounting surface is flat, however the door/tailgate mounting area is curved. When it is installed, the tendency is to make it sit flush all around. This load is not taken by the mounting strip, but by the lens. The lens is permanently under stress.

Now all you need is some cold weather, and the hooks on the mounting strip pull down hard at either end (there are 3 hooks at each end). This causes the lens to crack in the middle, and then as it fails, the load is put on the ends which also develop cracks.

When all this happens, large parts fail at the mounting hooks and end up in the door cavity.

The lens is simply NOT designed for these loads. Even doing the screws up finger tight will see the lens crack. The only way to try and reduce the incidence of cracking would be to replace the light just finger tight on the coldest of cold nights where the Caddy, the light and the screws were all at the near zero temperature. Even then it is not guaranteed.

The thing is that VAG, VGA, and EVERY dealer around the world will know this is a problem, but they keep using the light because it generated revenue. If you get it done in Australia by a dealer, look at something approaching $200 (this is what I was quoted). If you import the light, it will be something under $50, plus your time to remove the cracked one and fit the new one. If you have a tailgate, you will need a stubby phillips head screwdriver. Then if you do not want to hear all the bits rolling around every time you go around a corner, you will have to remove the trim panel, vacuum out the remains and then re-fit the trim panel. Remember, this will have to be done every 6 to 12 months, depending on when you replace it.

I have a few days to kill, so I'm going to send the information to the Department of Infrastructure and Transport and the ACCC.

All the while, this light is covered by ADR60!

wai
25-08-2014, 05:59 PM
Things have been hectic, and was only able to get to a dealer this afternoon at lunch time.

As I went to leave from my client's offices, there was a tradie who had a Caddy Maxi (Mk 3). As he was standing by his Caddy, I went up to talk to him. I asked him how many times he had replaced his brake light, and he said "never". He never had reason to check the brake light. I told him that it was designed to fail so we went to the back of his Caddy, and you guessed it, it was cracked. Nothing too drastic, but there was a clear brake across the middle, and cracking at both lower corners. He was extremely ticked off. After all, he had no reason to thing it would have cracked, and he had no idea as to how long it had been cracked.

He is going to take it up with VW Group Australia.

The dealer who inspected it was also surprised, but the thing is that there is no reason why anyone would even think of checking it. After all, it is assumed that such units have been designed properly, and that short of suffering impact damage, it should be OK for the life of the vehicle.

So, it is beginning to look like there are two types of Caddy around...those who have had their brake lights crack, and those who will have their brake lights crack.

So, if you do have a Caddy, check your brake light. If you know someone who has a Caddy, then get them to check their brake light.

So far, I have a 100% "success" rate, and it covers both those with a tailgate and those with barn doors.

fmflex
21-09-2014, 12:28 AM
Hi Wai

How did you go with this dealing with VW Australia?

I checked mine again today and its not cracked as far as I can tell though it's only 18 months old.

wai
21-09-2014, 07:18 AM
Hi Wai

How did you go with this dealing with VW Australia?

I checked mine again today and its not cracked as far as I can tell though it's only 18 months old.

Both the dealer and VW Australia have now gone very quiet after initially appearing keen and eager to help resolve things. It is now just short of a month since the vehicle was inspected, and a report provided to VW Australia which could not find any external impact to have cracked it, however nothing from either since. I have tried to call both, but no one seems to be available. I have tried telephone and e-mail.

Looks like they are ignoring things and hoping it will go away.

I am pushing because if it was a clear cut case of accident damage, I would have been told as much by now. It would not take just under a month to do this.

Tonz
22-09-2014, 01:09 PM
Dept of Fair Trading/ Consumer Affairs etc maybe???

wai
22-09-2014, 01:30 PM
Dept of Fair Trading/ Consumer Affairs etc maybe???

That is next, and I will have 2 examples of failed units. The problem is that I have to buy one (to be done today), as they want the physical items.

Oh, and it will not be just the ACCC, but it will be the Department of Infrastructure and Transport as this is an ADR60 item.

Skoda VW
30-12-2014, 01:40 PM
Just checked my wife's Caddy Maxi Life and it has cracked in the bottom RH corner.

wai
31-12-2014, 06:29 AM
Just checked my wife's Caddy Maxi Life and it has cracked in the bottom RH corner.

Sorry to hear.

Unfortunately, VW and its dealers have their collective heads in the sand or up....

Order a replacement from one of the eBay sellers. Before you fit it, you need to modify the black mounting piece.

There are 10 "hooks" that attach it to the red lens. You only need the four in the middle to hold it. The one at each end and the two on the long sides at each end need to be clipped off. You only need to clip the hook piece, and not it entirely.

Now when you install it, you need to apply a very small amount of silicone sealer on to the mounting surface and then fix the screws that hold it in place. You will hear the modified hooks sliding past the lens as you do up the screws. They need to be really loose. Tape them over to stop them coming out entirely.

It's not the best, but it does stop water getting into the door cavity.

Lams
02-01-2015, 08:31 AM
I'd suggest trying another dealer for a warranty claim.

Both my 07 and 11 Caddys had these brake lights replaced about 12 months into ownership. The one on the 07 is still good (the 11 is long gone)

wai
03-01-2015, 06:32 AM
I'd suggest trying another dealer for a warranty claim.

Both my 07 and 11 Caddys had these brake lights replaced about 12 months into ownership. The one on the 07 is still good (the 11 is long gone)

I had been in touch with VW Australia. They asked me to nominate the dealer for the inspection which I did (Alto VW in Blacktown). The light was inspected and it was acknowledged by the dealer that it had not been hit by something, however they had to get it approved by VW Australia. That's where it ended.

The dealer has not returned calls, or responded to e-mails, and neither has VW Australia. They know that if I do not want water int the tailgate cavity, I was going to have to do something myself.

VW. A great brand ruined by a pathetic dealer network and VW Australia!

Skoda VW
19-01-2015, 05:24 PM
Had a knock back on warranty claim from VW dealer. Apparently it has been hit.

wai
19-01-2015, 08:02 PM
Had a knock back on warranty claim from VW dealer. Apparently it has been hit.

No, its not been hit. It it had been hit, there would have been scuff marks, and there would have been an indentation. The surrounding panel work would also have been damaged.

This is the problem. VW simply ignore customers, yet they have to replace them in the holding yards, and even the dealers know about this as they get a new lamp to be fitted immediately prior to sale.

It's amazing how they have been hit and it always impacts just the light and NEVER the surrounding panel work!

Skoda VW
11-02-2015, 07:47 PM
Had VW Customer Care call me about this issue today. Got the official company line and "It is not a known defect" and that they won't act on photos. Need to take the car to a dealer for inspection....but it has already been there so there is no point.

wai
11-02-2015, 10:16 PM
Had VW Customer Care call me about this issue today. Got the official company line and "It is not a known defect" and that they won't act on photos. Need to take the car to a dealer for inspection....but it has already been there so there is no point.

Same line spun to me in December 2014. The dealer inspected it and confirmed that it was not impact damage, but nothing was done, and all attempts to find out what the status has yielded nothing.

Yeah..."not a known defect". Their own inventory records would prove otherwise. Imagine this. Of all the cars sold with external high level brake lights, the VW Caddy is the only one which has such a large number of spare parts sold. Of course it is a "known defect".

I was driving back from site through Campbelltown and there was a nice dark blue Maxi Life 2.0 litre TDI where the lower right corner had broken away completely exposing the rubber gasket. Unfortunately, the owner is probably completely unaware of the cracked light.

The only way is for affected owners to act together. There is growing anger on the Caddy2k forum as well.

Skoda VW
13-02-2015, 08:57 AM
Just saw a caddy at the servo while I was getting fuel and I asked the driver if he had noticed that his light was cracked. Told him of the issue and he has 10 caddys in his business. He is going to check all of them now and take the one he was driving to vw dealer.

RealPhotos
02-04-2015, 03:38 PM
My one is badly cracked, doubt the dealers in NZ will have much sympathy.
Theres a few selling on Ebay and Amazon, anybody here dealt with either?http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=15423&stc=1

wai
02-04-2015, 09:21 PM
My one is badly cracked, doubt the dealers in NZ will have much sympathy.
Theres a few selling on Ebay and Amazon, anybody here dealt with either?http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/attachments/f135/15423-caddy-high-level-brake-light-cracking-caddystoplight-e-jpg

It is extremely frustrating trying to get anywhere with this. It has been reported around the world, VW know it is an issue by the sheer numbers they sell.

If it has been hit (which I know is NOT the case), what vehicle is doing this?

Your damage clearly shows it has not been hit.

VW have redesigned their rear spoilers with an LED strip built into it. The thing is that it is unknown id the new spoiler will fit the existing vehicles.

As to what will get the attention of VW, it will be a large fleet buyer who will not accept a sweetener to accept the fix but take it no further.

Skoda VW
05-04-2015, 08:25 PM
I got mine from an Ebay seller in Turkey. It was not OEM but looked exactly the same except it had a different seal arrangement.15494

wai
05-04-2015, 09:47 PM
I got mine from an Ebay seller in Turkey. It was not OEM but looked exactly the same except it had a different seal arrangement.15494

That is different.

What you want to do is clip the barbs off the two end pegs on both sides. Then do it up just finger tight only. Tape over the screws to stop them undoing.

wai
05-04-2015, 09:53 PM
Now this is mainly for Victorians.

I am down in Bendigo and there hsa been a RACV advertisement running showing a RACV patrol van which is a yellow Caddy Van.

Let the RACV know if you have had a brake light crack. Do not assume anyone else will do it. The more they know about it, the better.

I have suggested they check their Caddys and then report the matter to VW. This places them in an awkward position. On one hand, VW cah do a "fix" for them and ask them to keep it quiet as they are a fleet operator. On the other hand, they are also an organisation looking out for their members, and so have to act in their interests as well.

I have contacted the RACV, however as I am from north of the border, they might not take it too seriously. I have given them a link to this thread, so hopefully, something will come of it.

In this case, it really is up to Victorian RACV members.

slammedmaxi
22-05-2015, 10:23 AM
I am flabbergasted that VW would put a taillight right behind the main rear door hinge. After 10+ open and shuts it is going to start to crack. I have removed my cracked lens and plastic filled, primed then colour matched painted the lens as there is no way I am going to replace a lens that is destined to crack.

wai
02-06-2015, 06:07 PM
Well, the cold weather has hit, so Caddy owners need to check their high level brake lights to see if the lenses have cracked.

It is when you get a really cold night that the lenses will crack.

Those in Canberra in particular should check their Caddys.

Hope they are not cracked, however past experience suggests they will be.

VW2
15-05-2016, 02:52 PM
My MY13 HLBL is badly cracked and has partially missing edges. Pity about the price. Today I have also released litres of water out of side door sills and panels, by removing some plugs that don't drain and four drain plugs that were blocked. Another thing to check mates. Can't wait to check the footwells.:facepalm:

Horace01
16-05-2016, 11:55 AM
Just buy a cheap Chinese replacement lens cover off eBay. They are around $15 including delivery. I have one and have had no issues with it. Hell for the price of the genuine ones you could buy 5.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

feenix74
16-05-2016, 01:20 PM
I have bought an OEM replacement and fitted it. However that now gives me two sets of OEM innards. I am planning to buy cheap Chinese versions from ebay from now on, swap the lens cover onto my OEM innards (the ebay photos sort of indicate that the Chinese ones also include cheap Chinese innards).

VW2
02-06-2016, 07:46 PM
I just fitted my Chinese HLBL. Well, I tell a lie. I took the lens cover off the Chinese replacement and used the original innards (including the seal. The replacement seal was that thick the two original screws wouldn't reach the retainers on the light).

http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=23549&stc=1

Now I have four spare components.
BTW I cannot find anywhere on eBay, where you can just buy the red cover. I hate the way the world wastes plastic and components.

Feenix74 - who's to say the OEM aren't from China, South America, yada yada yada.....

wai
19-12-2016, 06:56 PM
Now, in this thread I mentioned I used silicone sealant to mount the light. When VW Australia got wind of it, I was accused of spreading information designed to make these lights crack and was used as a basis for refusing to provide one under warranty.

Well, I can say that after 18 months, I have gone through 2 winters with freezing temperatures at times, and I have only had one crack up top in the vicinity of the lip. This is not an issue as the piece is attached to the silicone bead and it does not allow any water in. Nothing more and it does not need replacing, so it clearly IS the method of mounting that puts stress on the lens and causes it to crack.

I am seriously thinking of buying one more, paying a 3D scanning outfit to scan one for me and then get them to print one out using a much more flexible, translucent plastic and then sharing that around.

See, it's not some phantom driver in a ute with scaffolding planks causing it as VW Australia claimed!

talktokeith
13-01-2018, 08:57 PM
My 2011 caddy HLBL is falling apart!!

feenix74
18-01-2018, 08:15 PM
Buy a cheap one from ebay and replace. I found that the original one was screwed in very tightly (and I believe this may have contributed to failure of the plastic), so I have tried not to overtighten the replacement one.

I have kept the LED strip from the original one (made in Germany by Hella) as a spare in case the LEDs fail in the replacement one at some stage in the future.

wai
03-07-2018, 07:22 PM
G'day,

Just thought I'd follow this up.

Well, after effectively "bonding" the unit to the tailgate, I have now gone for something like 4 years without the lens cracking. Shortly after installing it I did end up with a tiny crack in the surround, but because I first fixed the gasket to the lens and then the whole lot to the tail gate, There was no leak and the crack cannot be dislodged.

So, even though I was accused of causing it to crack, it has actually prevented cracking. But the saga does not end there.

I have been through 4 "pink slip" inspections but it was the most recent one where the dealer (who had done the previous 3 and had no problem) decided that their metrics require the generation of work and so decided that the crack that is effectively glued back was no longer acceptable. The inspector said (and I quote) "Because the brake light was no longer as it left the factory, it was unacceptable"! Basically, this meant that if they wanted, they could fail the inspection for ANYTHING where something other than a VW original item was fitted. So, a head unit, or aftermarket headlights, or aftermarket tail lights could be defected.

Naturally, I complained, and was then told that I must consider the high level brake light on the Caddy as "a consumable item like tyres, and brakes. Yes, they crack on new cars, but that is the way that VW had designed the light and it has to be that way."!

The dealer was even reluctant to let me have the car back (but I insisted), I was expecting the light to be smashed in with a hammer. When they did bring the car back, surprise, surprise, another inspector saw it and passed it!

Oh, the cost for doing this? Around $300 to supply and fit when you can buy them online for as low as $12.50, and they are OEM parts.

That's the last time I go there for anything.

What I have discovered is that the LEDs actually give off red light, so you can even have a clear lens. I am in the process of preparing the drawings for a replacement unit and all the bits to glue together something more durable UV stabilised plastic. I am also trying to work out a simple jig to glue it consistently. I will then apply for and get it formally approved.

The saga of the high level brake light is a joke, and none of the authorities are prepared to do anything about. Even organisations like City of Sydney and RACV have the Caddy in their fleet, but they do not want to do anything about it because they probably get theirs replaced at no cost.

feenix74
10-07-2018, 10:22 AM
My replacement seems to be holding up at the moment, I think the factory over tightens the screws holding the light in place causing too much stress in the plastic body is contributing factor to this problem.

vwcm
30-04-2019, 07:21 AM
got a replacement for about $12 AU from China. best thing ever