PDA

View Full Version : Amarok Gearbox Drain/Refill Plug

bombsquad21
19-07-2014, 05:07 PM
Afternoon, does anyone have a photo or diagram of the location of the Amarok manual gearbox drain plug? What type of tool is required to remove the plug? It is alleged that about 1.9lt of oil is in the box, can anyone confirm this?
Thanks! :banana:

vdubmotorworx
19-07-2014, 06:21 PM
Not sure on fill amount but im sure the fill and drain are both big allen keys. Drain located directly on the lowest point and fill half way up the side of the box. Most manual gboxes you fill until the oil starts to flow back out of the filler hole.....VDUB...

bombsquad21
19-07-2014, 06:23 PM
Not sure on fill amount but im sure the fill and drain are both big allen keys. Drain located directly on the lowest point and fill half way up the side of the box. Most manual gboxes you fill until the oil starts to flow back out of the filler hole.....VDUB...

Thanks, so you are thinking allen key over torx?

The One
20-07-2014, 12:23 AM
Thanks, so you are thinking allen key over torx?

Will be allen key (hex).

vdubmotorworx
20-07-2014, 05:43 AM
Allen key...Have i look on the box...should be quite easy to find. Look for drain first as easiest to spot

Transporter
20-07-2014, 10:52 AM
The Penrite lube guide says 1.5L of G 055 538 A oil is needed for the diesel models up to 2013.

bombsquad21
20-07-2014, 04:32 PM
For reference it's an 8mm Allen Key. The box is conveniently labelled for Oil in and Oil out.

Sharkie
20-07-2014, 06:09 PM
For reference it's an 8mm Allen Key. The box is conveniently labelled for Oil in and Oil out.

Any Initial feedback on the oil change?

And what did the oil look like coming out? I've heard stories about visible metal shavings/slivers .........

Transporter
23-07-2014, 08:26 AM
Any Initial feedback on the oil change?

And what did the oil look like coming out? I've heard stories about visible metal shavings/slivers ........

It's very normal for the gear/diff oils to have a metallic colour, when drained at 10k-20k km. It takes longer fro the gearboxes and the diffs to run in. I always change the transmission/gear oils in the brand new cars at that kms and the Amarok won't be any different. :)

You leave the first fill in there for 80k-100km and the metallic colour is less obvious, because the contaminants are already stuck to the internals and you would need an oil flush to remove them.

I see more failed diffs/transmissions today in the vehicles with less than 100,000km, than 20 years ago, due to the stretched oil changes (or the lifetime fills).

So much for today's improved machining process compared to the past. :duh:

Sharkie
23-07-2014, 09:06 AM
It's very normal for the gear/diff oils to have a metallic colour, when drained at 10k-20k km. It takes longer fro the gearboxes and the diffs to run in. I always change the transmission/gear oils in the brand new cars at that kms and the Amarok won't be any different. :)

I'm with you, plan on changing engine oil at 7,500km, gearbox oil and rear diff oil all at 10,000km to get rid of all contaminants ...... everything should be well run in by then ;)

bombsquad21
23-07-2014, 04:45 PM
Once I get my car back I'll be able to let you know about the redline. I couldn't find any metal in the original oil. I'll keep looking..

buzuki
23-07-2014, 07:35 PM
similar to the 7 speed dsg, the gearbox is 'underfilled' from factory by around 200ml. this is a cost saving measure in the build process and is not meant to have any dramatic effect on its lifespan.

BumbleBeetle66
04-08-2014, 01:53 PM
similar to the 7 speed dsg, the gearbox is 'underfilled' from factory by around 200ml. this is a cost saving measure in the build process and is not meant to have any dramatic effect on its lifespan.

Where did you get that information buzuki? How is the 7 speed dsg under filled? I do not think the factory would under fill gearboxes to save money when surely the repercussions would be far more expensive than saving 200ml of oil per car.

buzuki
04-08-2014, 07:04 PM
the extra oil just dampens shift noise.

They dont require lots of oil.

I dont believe there to be any repercussions yet. How many DSG failures have you seen excluding clutches/mechatronics where you say oil level is to blame?

Personally ive seen none.

Volkswagen has brilliant engineers, if they can save money easily with no effect they will.

200ml per car and they sold some 5million cars last year. Lets say 10% were DSG they be saving approx 3million dollars in oil cost.

Umai Naa!!
04-08-2014, 08:01 PM
Where did you get that information buzuki? How is the 7 speed dsg under filled? I do not think the factory would under fill gearboxes to save money when surely the repercussions would be far more expensive than saving 200ml of oil per car.

Knowing what his day job is, I'm inclined to believe him ;)

BumbleBeetle66
05-08-2014, 04:20 PM
the extra oil just dampens shift noise.

They dont require lots of oil.

I dont believe there to be any repercussions yet. How many DSG failures have you seen excluding clutches/mechatronics where you say oil level is to blame?

Personally ive seen none.

Volkswagen has brilliant engineers, if they can save money easily with no effect they will.

200ml per car and they sold some 5million cars last year. Lets say 10% were DSG they be saving approx 3million dollars in oil cost.

the extra 200ml is not to dampen the shift noise the extra 200ml is because the of the change over of oil types because of the different properties of mineral to synthetic.
the 7 speed gearbox was filled with 1.7 litres when it was filled with synthetic oil.
after the campaign the 7 speed DSG is now filled with 1.9 litres of mineral oil.

BumbleBeetle66
05-08-2014, 04:23 PM
Knowing what his day job is, I'm inclined to believe him ;)

i know what his day job is... he is still making up incorrect information regarding vw underfilling their gearboxes with no information to back up the statement.

buzuki
05-08-2014, 08:27 PM
so whats the extra 200mL for