PDA

View Full Version : Help! Xmas tree of error messages @ 4500 km in a TDI wagon!

adhock
16-07-2014, 08:45 PM
Driving home tonight, luckily near home, when I had a veritable Xmas tree of error messages appear on the dash:

Error: brake (Workshop)
Error: Stop/start system
Error: ABS/stabilisation control (ESC)
Error: Hill hold assist
Error: ACC and Front assist not available
Error: Tyre pressure monitoring system
Fault: Electric parking brake.

The tyres are fine. The brakes work.The parking brake appears OK. The car, a TDI diesel wagon purchased Feb 28 and with (right now) 4474 km on the clock, worked perfectly before and still appears to do so. Leaving it turned off, and then on again after 10 minutes, doesn't reset anything, perhaps not surprisingly - it was worth a punt. But it ain't being driven anywhere given that list of system-diagnosed faults. Wangara VW can come and collect it. preferably by flat-bed tow truck.

Anyone have a similar experience (couldn't find anything on the forums quickly)? Anyone have suggestions, other than the computer may well have had a hissy fit?

Not impressed, given it was a reluctant purchase after a very lemon flavoured Mk 6 118TSI wagon, traded after replaced engine at 24000km, replaced transmission at 26000km, and ongoing scraping noises (recurring after various explanations) from the business end of the engine/transmission from 27000 to 29800 km. Pity the subsequent buyer.

Update after 45 mins. The errors are still there, and parking brake will not engage. So it is unroadworthy now.

buzuki
16-07-2014, 09:13 PM
has it been in for the 45D4 recall?

vdubmotorworx
16-07-2014, 09:15 PM
Looks like due to brake software campaign as above...VDUB

adhock
16-07-2014, 09:16 PM
What's that? Obviously not, given I don't know of it and haven't been notified of any recall.

Just googled the recall and it appears to apply to petrol engines and (presumably 7 speed DSG). We're diesel, after the petrol learning experience

irossiter
16-07-2014, 11:15 PM
I had a recurring problem in my Mk 6 GTI with ALL of my warning lights coming up. Went on for 3 years until I told them that I don't care if their computers could not find a fault as my warranty was about to expire. They just needed to fix it. Turned out to be an ABS sensor. The part would have cost over $3000 if it was out of warranty but I'm sure I would have had a good case as I'd taken it back to them about 10 times. Yeah, I would leave it and make VW pick up your car even if it is driving normally.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Eaglehawk
17-07-2014, 09:00 AM
What's that? Obviously not, given I don't know of it and haven't been notified of any recall.

Just googled the recall and it appears to apply to petrol engines and (presumably 7 speed DSG). We're diesel, after the petrol learning experience

I've got a 110TDI, and in last month's service, they still applied the recall with accompanying sticker in the door frame.

adhock
17-07-2014, 10:19 AM
It's apparently a brake system software update, after talking to service adviser. Fixable today, thank goodness.

adhock
17-07-2014, 06:07 PM
No it isn't fixable. Not the recall, haven't found what's wrong after an hour. Aaargh! Hopefully this won't be the start of more things. Hopefully not a major system failure and delays while components get shipped.

buzuki
17-07-2014, 07:08 PM
45D4 is applicable to diesel also as they replace the injectors return hose.

There is a few items in the recall but the software update for the park brake and return line are most common

adhock
17-07-2014, 08:42 PM
Thanks for that, buzuki. See what the work order says!

adhock
18-07-2014, 03:00 PM
Well, this is interesting. "Can't get a diagnosis. Computer systems in Germany are down - we can't do anything, they've been flaky all week. No, we don't have a loaner available, and Sydney generally don't authorize loaner hire vehicles until they have a diagniosis."

Nevertheless, service adviser finally got onto Sydney and told them they had to authorize hire car, so we're now in a Passat until further notice. Thanks Tash.

How do I change the 'Fan' bit of my tagline?

buzuki
18-07-2014, 05:41 PM
Since i work in a dealer, I can confirm the systems have been down.

I think the Germans are still celebrating the world cup win haha.

Monday/Tuesday was hit n miss.

Wednesday no connection at all.

Thursday got reasonable connection at 2pm.

Today hit n miss again.

This means no workshop manual, no software updates, no radio codes anything.

adhock
18-07-2014, 08:34 PM
Interesting. So if Germany goes down, VW goes down globally?

irossiter
19-07-2014, 08:51 AM
Oh how computers have advanced everything in this world we live in but when they go down everything grinds to a halt. Cars even 10+ yrs ago apparently had more computer power than the Apollo 11 lunar module. I still like getting out my 1967 Mini servicing manual to try and figure out a problem. I think it is quite reasonable that the Germans would still be hung over from their brilliant last minute World Cup win!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

adhock
23-07-2014, 12:17 PM
Update: diagnosis is a water leak into the footwall shorting out relevant system, and probably coming in from where the roof rail is attached and then down the RH A pillar. Problem is that roof lining has to be removed to check, a special tool is needed, and that tool appears to have to be sourced from Germany! The joys of life in a loaner hire car.

adhock
23-07-2014, 11:27 PM
My wife wants a refund. $45000. I'm tempted. Trying to get external perspective, it's not so silly, given this appears to be the second dud VW. Then we could buy the Hyundai iX35 she wanted, and see how it fails....

The One
25-07-2014, 11:09 PM
My wife wants a refund. $45000. I'm tempted. Trying to get external perspective, it's not so silly, given this appears to be the second dud VW. Then we could buy the Hyundai iX35 she wanted, and see how it fails....

IX35's are no better, believe me on that, my mum purchased one, after 6500kms the dealer bought it back off her after a engine, gearbox, front left driveshaft, headlight globes (kept blowing, went through 3 sets) indicators stayed on when car was turned off, both front wheel bearings were noisey... The list went on. She now purchased a MK7 TDI highline, 45,000kms later and still going strong and inlove with it every minute, no issue whatsoever - I guess sometimes it's just a process with manufacturing, I'm sure once they fix the issue with yours, you'll be all sweet! :).

adhock
25-07-2014, 11:18 PM
Hope so. Mechanics reckon they'll have it done early next week, assuming they got the correct diagnosis. I am relieved to find the ix35 may be just as unreliable if not more so. Maybe everyone gets a lemon now and then. The prospect of back to back Golf lemons (search me on the Mk6 Gold thread) is annoying tho.

I know the Golf is a better car. Except it stops working properly.

The One
28-07-2014, 08:14 PM
Hope so. Mechanics reckon they'll have it done early next week, assuming they got the correct diagnosis. I am relieved to find the ix35 may be just as unreliable if not more so. Maybe everyone gets a lemon now and then. The prospect of back to back Golf lemons (search me on the Mk6 Gold thread) is annoying tho.

I know the Golf is a better car. Except it stops working properly.

Walk past a Hyundai dealership and look in their workshop, everyone I walk past I have seen a IX35 on a hoist with a engine and /or gearbox under it on the floor...

#worstcarever.

adhock
31-07-2014, 11:59 PM
Yeah. I understand the sentiment. I know the Golf is a better car - that's why we gave VW a second chance. The highline Golf with driver assist is a better package than the hired TSI Passat we're driving. But it's now two weeks and counting with a hire car vs our car. How much longer?

adhock
07-08-2014, 10:05 PM
Well. We're back in OUR car, vs the loaner. Three weeks, a complaint about filthy headliner on return, complete surprise from the salesman who sold us the car (poor soul recognized me and said 'Hi, how's it going going?' when I was on the way back to whinge about the headliner. He heard.), and we're back in a Golf that certainly feels more sumptous than the loaner Passat. Which VW Sydney hadn't quite renewed for the extra day (Oh well). Hopefully that's it. I do appreciate that electrical stuff can be a problem to track and fix, and hopefully it's done, and end of story.