PDA

View Full Version : Skoda Superb 1.8 fuel economy with and without Ethanol

Ausdat1969
13-07-2014, 11:20 PM
When we first looked at the Skoda I'd read all manner of derogatory comments. 1.8ltr can't pull the skin off custard, all car companies lie about their fuel economy etc etc but the family did a decent run in the wagon at Easter and while the numbers were still in my head I thought a few of those that don't do long trips might be interested.
Official fuel figure is 5.9 l/100km highway, 9.1 l/100km city, avg 7.5.

Trip was Brisbane to Moruya and back, roughly 2450km round trip.
Each day was exactly the same, 2 adults, 2 kids, air con on, boot absolutely packed to the level of the slide over cover and cruise control set to the speed limit as the NSW police were very, very enthusiastic that trip.
1st day Brisbane to Taree, 6.2 l/100km, 2nd day got lost in lovely Sydney traffic for an extra hour 6.4 l/100km. Coming back 3rd day 5.7 l/100km and 4th day 5.8 l/100km.
The thing on interest is that the only difference between the 6.2-4 days and the 5.7-8 days was the fuel. On both the first 2 days it was ethanol blend 100 RON while both the last 2 days were straight 98. I'd always thought the ethanol blend was around 3% less economical but on those figures it looks more like 10%.

As for range on a relatively small tank. It worked out as Brisbane to 1/2 way down the Newcastle Expressway, down to Moruya and back to the outskirts of Sydney, from there to Coolangatta Airport then home. Performance even with a load on was always good. Anyone dawdling below the limit could easily be overtaken. The 80-130 acceleration has always impressed and anyone wanting a race is completely ignored because I'm just not interested.

I hope that was of some interest to anyone wanting to compare their cars numbers or thinking about a Skoda or any sort.

bushman
14-07-2014, 09:04 AM
The thing on interest is that the only difference between the 6.2-4 days and the 5.7-8 days was the fuel. On both the first 2 days it was ethanol blend 100 RON while both the last 2 days were straight 98. I'd always thought the ethanol blend was around 3% less economical but on those figures it looks more like 10%.

Those are my results with ethanol blend 100 RON too, about 10% less economic, & less power too, vw polo 1.2L

Ausdat1969
08-01-2015, 09:33 PM
Thought I might add an update to the economy log.
A couple of month ago, after 18 months of searching, I finally found a set of 2nd hand 17 inch Trifid wheels off an Elegance. While the wheels look great and I love them the fuel economy took quite a dive.
Even on straight 98RON the car takes a very long time to get to 5.9 on the highway and that is unloaded. Around town there are too many variables to get an accurate figure but previously on the weekend runaround the trips generally hovered around the 7-8 l/100km. Now with the new wheels that tends to be 8-9 sometimes 10l/100km. Still very good for a car this size just as a percentage quite a lot more than before.
So if anyone was reading the first post thinking to themselves that they don't get that sort of mileage don't worry, its probably just your tyres.