PDA

View Full Version : Quicker Take Off With Auto

OurAmarok
13-07-2014, 08:42 AM
Just thought I'd share this tip with other Amarok owners.

If you have an 8sp Auto Box and you want a quicker (safer) take off across traffic I have found that putting the gear selector in TripTronic second gear gives a faster takeoff - but try it out yourself first! You can then flick the gear selector back to normal D and let the gear box change normally.

Transporter
13-07-2014, 10:19 AM
Thanks for the tip.
I found that driving gently in the "D" mode the A/T shifts to the 8th gear too soon. Then at 60km/h the engine revs are 1100rpm or less. I always shift to the "S" when driving gently in the city or when I hear that not a pleasing low level sound from the engine.

bombsquad21
13-07-2014, 07:11 PM
A note to all potential Amarok owners out there! Buy the auto! During my recent Brisbane-Melbourne-Brisbane round trip I found the manual mildly lacking, to be polite.

Sharkie
14-07-2014, 06:40 AM
A note to all potential Amarok owners out there! Buy the auto! During my recent Brisbane-Melbourne-Brisbane round trip I found the manual mildly lacking, to be polite.

In what way? I have not had any issues to date with mine and it lets me pick my gear (all bymyself actually) and lets me keep it in that gear how long or how short I want. It lets you make a decision on what is best for the circumstances, so use that "freedom". Its part of the fun. I would not change to an auto for anything .....

If you need to start "doing" things as suggested here to make the auto more responsive it sort of defeats the purpose of an auto does it not?

EDIT: I have had a few people (who normally drive an auto) drive my manual now and all preferred the manual (and the petrol:eek:) ..... other factors may be influencing that call however .... :cool:

Transporter
14-07-2014, 08:26 AM
Maybe, he had on mind the take offs from the traffic lights and just up to 60-70km/h. Where the manual diesel would be slower than auto due to short first gear.
I must admit I think that the "D" is faster to 60km/h because the transmission in "S" mode holds that 1st gear and others unnecessary long to my liking.
Make no mistake, the Amarok's 8sp. auto box is one of the best out there. Pity though I can't have 2 transmissions, because I'd like to have a manual when I drive, and the auto just in case that other family member needs to borrow the Amarok for whatever reason. Also, IMO it's safer in some off road situations than the manual, especially if the driver has minimum or no 4WD experience.
:)

bombsquad21
14-07-2014, 06:49 PM
In what way? I have not had any issues to date with mine and it lets me pick my gear (all bymyself actually) and lets me keep it in that gear how long or how short I want. It lets you make a decision on what is best for the circumstances, so use that "freedom". Its part of the fun. I would not change to an auto for anything .....

If you need to start "doing" things as suggested here to make the auto more responsive it sort of defeats the purpose of an auto does it not?

EDIT: I have had a few people (who normally drive an auto) drive my manual now and all preferred the manual (and the petrol:eek:) ..... other factors may be influencing that call however .... :cool:

Respectfully, one of us has a significantly more powerful Tsi at moment!:P So I will reserve my judgment, but I just find the Amarok manual notchy and kinda balky. I was driving on the Hume Highway at 110kph, shifting from 6th to 4th with the road rising every 5kms dreaming of an auto. I can see how people may prefer the manual, I prefer other manuals and some autos too. I just don't get enjoy the Amarok manual box much. I will say that besides that the Amarok was a comfortable and rugged companion with 5 occupants and a tray full of luggage on my trip (which is also why i recommend the Roll n Lock tray cover 100% )..

Sharkie
14-07-2014, 09:37 PM
Respectfully, one of us has a significantly more powerful Tsi at moment!:P So I will reserve my judgment, but I just find the Amarok manual notchy and kinda balky. I was driving on the Hume Highway at 110kph, shifting from 6th to 4th with the road rising every 5kms dreaming of an auto. I can see how people may prefer the manual, I prefer other manuals and some autos too. I just don't get enjoy the Amarok manual box much. I will say that besides that the Amarok was a comfortable and rugged companion with 5 occupants and a tray full of luggage on my trip (which is also why i recommend the Roll n Lock tray cover 100% )..

Not for much longer ..... :banana:

I really recommend doing a gearbox oil upgrade, it should change shifting completely. Redline MT90 or MTL

bombsquad21
15-07-2014, 06:08 AM
Redline it is…Recommend a supplier?

OurAmarok
15-07-2014, 06:33 PM
Maybe, he had on mind the take offs from the traffic lights and just up to 60-70km/h. Where the manual diesel would be slower than auto due to short first gear.
I must admit I think that the "D" is faster to 60km/h because the transmission in "S" mode holds that 1st gear and others unnecessary long to my liking.
Make no mistake, the Amarok's 8sp. auto box is one of the best out there. Pity though I can't have 2 transmissions, because I'd like to have a manual when I drive, and the auto just in case that other family member needs to borrow the Amarok for whatever reason. Also, IMO it's safer in some off road situations than the manual, especially if the driver has minimum or no 4WD experience.
:)

G'day Transporter

Yes agreed, because the Triptonic mode holds the gear to maximum revs as opposed to optimum gear - that's why I take off (across busy traffic) in "S2" then flick it back to "normal mode" once I have - best of both worlds. :)