PDA

View Full Version : Beeping sound on cruise

Kesh
08-07-2014, 07:56 PM
When I use cruise control, at random times, I can hear a very faint beeping sound. By faint I mean it's noy audible when there's music is playing, but annoying when there isn't music playing.

Anyone have the same issue? Quite bizarre I must say...

BFPO40
08-07-2014, 10:11 PM
Is that with normal cruise control or ACC?

I noticed it too when using ACC, very faint beep which I haven't figured out yet.

Hopefully someone will have the answers.

lambertia
09-07-2014, 12:04 AM
Is it a beep or a click? I often hear relays when the ACC active.

Kesh
09-07-2014, 07:09 AM
Don't have ACC on my car, it's just a base model 90TSI. It's definitely beeping though, my friend though it might've been his phone in his bag. I'm still trying to isolate where it's coming from but I can't do much while I'm driving so I might get a friend to help me find out where it's coming from.

flagger
09-07-2014, 10:15 AM
Never heard a faint beep with cruise control on in my base 90TSI. When I have speed limit set, it will beep loudly when it exceeds the limit set by about 5km/h.

Kesh
09-07-2014, 10:22 AM
Never heard a faint beep with cruise control on in my base 90TSI. When I have speed limit set, it will beep loudly when it exceeds the limit set by about 5km/h.
How odd again, I don't get that speed alert.. Is this beep from the speakers or somewhere else?

lambertia
09-07-2014, 11:02 AM
How odd again, I don't get that speed alert.. Is this beep from the speakers or somewhere else?

You'll only get that beep if your're using the speed limit mode of the CC.

tonymy01
09-07-2014, 12:40 PM
I got to the bottom of this beep on my mk6 R some time ago, it is the RDS:TP signal coming and going when you are driving away from the city and reception drops (thus TP channels potentially not being received). I too at first thought it was to do with CC because on long drives down the Hume you tend use CC, but of course city channel reception goes about 70km away also (and finally picked up the little TP indicator coming/going coinciding with the beep when in radio mode rather than map mode).

Given the MK6 navigation is hamstrung to not support the encrypted TP steam anyway, it is easy to disable and you won't be disturbed by the beep any more. But you will have to put up with it on the mk7 if you use traffic info for navigation(assuming this is the issue).

Kesh
10-07-2014, 02:29 PM
I got to the bottom of this beep on my mk6 R some time ago, it is the RDS:TP signal coming and going when you are driving away from the city and reception drops (thus TP channels potentially not being received). I too at first thought it was to do with CC because on long drives down the Hume you tend use CC, but of course city channel reception goes about 70km away also (and finally picked up the little TP indicator coming/going coinciding with the beep when in radio mode rather than map mode).

Given the MK6 navigation is hamstrung to not support the encrypted TP steam anyway, it is easy to disable and you won't be disturbed by the beep any more. But you will have to put up with it on the mk7 if you use traffic info for navigation(assuming this is the issue).

Oh okay, I don't have navigation but I do have TP enabled, I'll disable it now and see what happens. But the sound does go away immediately after I hit cancel as well.

Will see how it goes

Kesh
27-07-2014, 06:15 PM
tried it for a while, it's still there! Might pay a visit to the dealers...

lambertia
28-07-2014, 11:01 AM
Don't tell them about the TP, they may disable it!

Kesh
28-07-2014, 11:45 AM
Oh really?! Alright I'll make sure I stay quiet about it!

JVdPoel
18-03-2015, 07:14 PM
When I use cruise control, at random times, I can hear a very faint beeping sound. By faint I mean it's noy audible when there's music is playing, but annoying when there isn't music playing.

Anyone have the same issue? Quite bizarre I must say...

Sorry for digging up this older thread but Kesh did you ever get to the bottom of this because my brand new (300 miles)
Golf 7 has got the same disease.

Whenever on ACC or riding with the speed limiter after a short time I'll start to hear a faint beeping sound that changes
frequency or starts to beep rapidly. It is just loud enough to hear it when music is playing so really annoying and very
disappointing to get something like this on a brand new car.

I have to drop it off at the garage tomorrow, they of course had never seen/heard this before. They now heard it
during a short test drive I did with one of the mechanics and I even have a sound recording on it on my phone
so it is not me going crazy :)

Thnx
Jan

kry_wolf
19-03-2015, 12:12 PM
I've got the same sound on a mk7 TSI, never bothered to get it checked... can't be anything too serious can it?

Kesh
19-03-2015, 12:38 PM
Hey mate,

I actually didn't end up finding any solution to it unfortunately. However my car is due for a service in 500km and this is one of the things that will be mentioned to be fixed. Some did suggest that Traffic Programming (TP) was the cause, but it didn't do anything. You'll be going in sooner than myself so I'll up asking you for the solution haha! By garage, are you going to a VW dealer or someone independent?

Kesh
19-03-2015, 12:38 PM
I've got the same sound on a mk7 TSI, never bothered to get it checked... can't be anything too serious can it?

Definitely not serious, just an irritation to be honest.

JVdPoel
19-03-2015, 08:57 PM
I dropped it off this morning at the place where I bought it, it's an official VW dealer. Lets hope they are not ripping the car apart to find it because they had absolutely no clue what it could be. That surely didn't leave me a good impression and I am a bit disappointed in my VW experience up until now. And it's only been 2 weeks.

They said to give them 2 days so hopefully by the end of tomorrow I'll know more.

JVdPoel
21-03-2015, 12:07 AM
Just got a call from my garage. Apparently there is nothing they can do about it. They talked to the factory and
according to them its all the sensors and stuff that kick in when activating ACC or the speed limiter that scan the environment.
As long as the volume of the beeping is that low I'll have to live with it, should it get louder I can always come back
under warranty.

He also said that he had to turn off ventilation and radio and listen very carefully to hear it, maybe my hearing is better then
his because if I concentrate I can hear it when listening to music.

And because my car is a petrol engine that is already very quiet and the car is that well protected against outside noise
that it is so silent in the car that you start noticing these things. So, I guess a car can be too quiet :)

JVdPoel
26-03-2015, 05:16 AM
I cut out the loudest (beeping) minute from my trip to work where I recorded the incar sound
with my phone. I held my phone at the armrest.

Just wondering if other ppl who have this problem hear the same, thanks :)

https://www.dropbox.com/s/rl5wlekk9nzjkk4/Cutout.mp3?dl=0

agentthumb
26-03-2015, 04:09 PM
Not sure about any beeping sound. I listened to this with noise cancelling headphones and volume cranked all the way up.

Couldn't hear any beeping noise, could hear a very low level high pitched whine every now and then. Appear to be loudest around the 46 second mark.

Can't say I've ever noticed the noise in the TDI with DAP, or the TSI with DAP I test drove.

JVdPoel
26-03-2015, 04:56 PM
I can hear the high pitched tone throughout the whole minute just by using my laptop speakers.
It changes frequency sometimes and goes into short beeps then back to the continuous beep.

In the car I can hear it even when the radio is playing. Maybe I'm more sensitive to high pitched sound.
But thanks for listening and your opinion.

agentthumb
26-03-2015, 06:59 PM
No problem :) have you tried getting another golf driver in your car as a passenger to see if they notice it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JVdPoel
25-04-2015, 09:06 PM
Hi,

After going through another 35 minute hearing test while driving to work decided to put together a video
of the loudest parts of the high pitch sound/whine of the commute.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PdAO1bxF6Gk

To the people in this thread complaining about the beeping while driving, is this the same as you are experiencing?
I can no longer believe this is normal. I tried opening a complaint 2 times now with D'Ieteren, who is the importer of VW
and Audi but I don't get any response.

At the moment my gf is driving the car to work, she's got a shorter commute because listening to this 2 times a day for
35 minutes is driving me insane. After 2000km this car is worthless to me because of this.

lambertia
26-04-2015, 07:40 AM
If that were my car is be furious. Are you able to try a different dealer?

JVdPoel
26-04-2015, 05:24 PM
If that were my car is be furious. Are you able to try a different dealer?

I'm not sure how the policy is with VW here in Belgium. There is a dealer close to work so might pop in
there just to try and talk to a mechanic and ask him if they have ever had anyone with this issue.

But I've got the impression that whatever the problem you have on a car, the first reply in the garage is : "We have
never seen this before."