PDA

View Full Version : Using thicker oil to decrease consumption

ryballs
08-07-2014, 02:54 PM
Our recently purchased 2010 Passat 147TSI is using oil at a fast rate, approx 1L per 2000km. Even though VW says that is apparently normal in the owners manual, I would like to decrease this if possible.

I tried topping up with 504 approved Penrite 5w30 fully synth, but it was used very quickly and is expensive. So this time I bought some 502 approved Shell HX7 10w-40. Now I know everyone goes on about how you gotta use the 504 but I specifically chose the 10w-40 as it appears to be the thickest 502 approved oil I can easily obtain. My hope is because of this it won't evaporate as quickly. Also it's very cheap compared to the fully synth so won't cost me an arm and a leg.

The oil says 502.00 / 505.00 on the bottle whereas the manual asks for 502.00 / 505.01. I guess I just want to know, will using this oil void my extended warranty or potentially damage my engine?

Hillbilly
08-07-2014, 05:15 PM
Our recently purchased 2010 Passat with 2.0T is using oil at a fast rate, approx 1L per 2000km. Even though VW says that is apparently normal in the owners manual, I would like to decrease this if possible.

I tried topping up with 504 approved Penrite 5w30 fully synth, but it was used very quickly and is expensive. So this time I bought some 502 approved Shell HX7 10w-40. Now I know everyone goes on about how you gotta use the 504 but I specifically chose the 10w-40 as it appears to be the thickest 502 approved oil I can easily obtain. My hope is because of this it won't evaporate as quickly. Also it's very cheap compared to the fully synth so won't cost me an arm and a leg.

The oil says 502.00 / 505.00 on the bottle whereas the manual asks for 502.00 / 505.01. I guess I just want to know, will using this oil void my extended warranty or potentially damage my engine? Is it a PETROL or a DIESEL

If its a diesel it should use 504/507 APPROVED oil such as the Penrite you were using.
Nothing might happen using the other but if it does and VW do an oil test you could be up the creek looking for a big paddle.

Its to do with the ash and sulphur?? content and using different spec oil could ruin the DPF which wont matter much except they are about $4000 to replace.

team_v
08-07-2014, 05:25 PM
Is it a PETROL or a DIESEL

If its a diesel it should use 504/507 APPROVED oil such as the Penrite you were using.
Nothing might happen using the other but if it does and VW do an oil test you could be up the creek looking for a big paddle.

Its to do with the ash and sulphur?? content and using different spec oil could ruin the DPF which wont matter much except they are about $4000 to replace.

It is a 2.0 TSI (147kw) according to the OP's post in the newbie section

Hillbilly
08-07-2014, 05:28 PM
It is a 2.0 TSI (147kw) according to the OP's post in the newbie section

Didn't look for that . He will probably be Ok then Pays to put the full details when asking a question though

wai
08-07-2014, 05:35 PM
Well, you really need to find out why there is high oil consumption.

A heavier grade oil might reduce it, but then it also means that oil may not be getting where it needs to.

ryballs
08-07-2014, 06:07 PM
Well, you really need to find out why there is high oil consumption.

A heavier grade oil might reduce it, but then it also means that oil may not be getting where it needs to.

We took it in where I bought it from and they said the consumption is normal for this engine, are you saying this is not the case? Both my wife and I are fairly heavy footed so that may be contributing.

So you think this oil is not suitable? I have heard that you should only use fully-synthetic for turbo engines but it's still 502.00 so should be okay for engine/warranty?

Didn't look for that . He will probably be Ok then Pays to put the full details when asking a question though
Yes it is the 147TSI. Sorry I missed that out :P

Thank you for the responses.

wai
09-07-2014, 07:27 AM
We took it in where I bought it from and they said the consumption is normal for this engine, are you saying this is not the case? Both my wife and I are fairly heavy footed so that may be contributing.

Sadly, this seems to be a standard VW response. that covers a multitude of sins. Anything that you report that they do not want to fix is said to be "normal for this type of <whatever you want>".

Bring heavy footed should not be an issue for the engine unless you do this from cold. It will have an impact on the drive line, suspension and brakes, but should not be that much of a problem for the engine.

So you think this oil is not suitable? I have heard that you should only use fully-synthetic for turbo engines but it's still 502.00 so should be okay for engine/warranty?

If the oil grade is as specified for the engine, then it should not be an issue because it would not be any different.

zei20t
09-07-2014, 09:35 AM
penrite make a 5w40 which is 502/505 approved.

ill be running this soon, but apparently it probably wont affect oil consumption.

Penrite Oil - A Better Class Of Oil (http://www.penriteoil.com.au/products.php?id_categ=1&id_brand=2&id_products=13)