PDA

View Full Version : Airbag light on

flashman1207
27-06-2014, 02:01 AM
The airbag light has come on and won't go off. Car is only a month old. Anyone had the same problem or know how to fix it? 90tsi comfortline. Wife reckons it might have started after cleaning it but don't think I touched any airbags or wiring etc

Snail Style
27-06-2014, 06:43 AM
Have seen one that required an airbag control module, part was from Germany. Your under warranty mate, just take it to a dealer.

flashman1207
27-06-2014, 09:47 AM
Yeah I did, there was a 1 hour wait and three cars in front of us so will have to go back again....

flashman1207
30-06-2014, 07:43 PM
Right, went to dealers and they said some board needs replacing.... great !!!! Back to the dealer in a week to get it repaired. Bloody car hasn't even got a 1000km on the clock

Snail Style
01-07-2014, 07:59 PM
Seems there may be issues with the control modules :P

flashman1207
02-07-2014, 01:30 AM
Seems there may be issues with the control modules :P

Is it a common problem? Where is the module located? In the engine or the inside?

Snail Style
02-07-2014, 06:24 AM
Inside under the centre console

flashman1207
22-07-2014, 02:00 AM
So wife takes car to dealers to be fixed. Ah, we have to get the parts from over East, will book you in in 2.5 weeks. Meanwhile the airbag will NOT deploy if you have an accident.......

Now I'm right pissed off.... If they wanted to they could get a part overnight and fix it the next day or two. Instead they put the life of my family at risk.... I wonder if they would be liable if such a thing should happen?

Kesh
22-07-2014, 05:43 AM
Are you sure that because the airbag light is on, they won't deploy in a crash? Because as you said, that has massive consequences and I would think that it would require a recall of some sort.

AdamD
22-07-2014, 09:05 AM
Now I'm right pissed off.... If they wanted to they could get a part overnight and fix it the next day or two. Instead they put the life of my family at risk.... I wonder if they would be liable if such a thing should happen?

As the owner of the car, it's your responsibility to ensure it's safe and roadworthy. It's a shame a part has failed, but the part will be replaced. Until it is, there are consequences of driving it (ie heightened risk), that you need to consider. The manufacturer is not liable beyond the terms of the warranty (statutory and written), neither of which would stipulate that parts like these need to be changed over immediately. If urgency is an issue, have you asked the dealer about the possibility of getting parts air-freighted, and whether that's something you'd be prepared to pay for?

There are owners of other vehicles (not Mk7s) whose engines or gearboxes have failed, leaving them stranded. Although they've usually been replaced under warranty, the owners have often been left without a car to drive for weeks...

Are you sure that because the airbag light is on, they won't deploy in a crash? Because as you said, that has massive consequences and I would think that it would require a recall of some sort.

If the light is on, then the system is likely disabled due to a fault. Airbag sensors and other components can fail; if they do, they get replaced. A recall is only needed if there's a systemic failure or design flaw in a specific part.

Kesh
22-07-2014, 09:08 AM
I understand that components can fail, I'd just like to think that airbags aren't one of them. But then again the same can be said for a lot of other components.

Furthermore, the manual most probably states that you should stop driving immediately.

AdamD
22-07-2014, 09:28 AM
It may not be the case that all airbags have disabled, although you wouldn't know without plugging in VCDS and looking at fault codes, or asking the dealer.

flashman1207
26-07-2014, 01:05 PM
I thought I would phone the dealer principle and question why for something that is a safety issue they would a) send my wife home in a dangerous car and b) why they would make us wait 2.5 weeks to be fixed.... Well, he was mightily pissed off that the Service Department had done this and seemed as genuinely shocked as I was. He got straight onto it, organised a courtesy car and had the car in and fixed in 3 days. Very impressive... Hopefully the word in their ear will prevent anyone else going through the same thing. Many thanks to Phil for that...