PDA

View Full Version : Mk 7 GTI dash removal

frogg
25-06-2014, 04:45 PM
Hi All,

I have had my GTI for about 6 months now, and have decided that I will fit a mount for my mobile phone.

Hold My Phone have a couple, but I am not really happy with the ones that they provide. Either it covers the Air-Con Vents, or is on the passenger side of the car.

13-14 - Golf VII - Volkswagen - Dashboard Mounts - Device Mounts | HoldMyPhone (http://www.holdmyphone.com.au/mounts/car/volkswagen/golf-vii/13-13.html?mode=grid)

I have installed a few in cars before, and I wanted to disassemble my dash to look at my options.

Before I start poking, prodding and unclipping bits I thought I would reach out to see if anyone out there has put together a how-to guide or similar.

Excuse a couple of the upside down pictures, for some reason my PC refuses to rotate them!

Thanks in advance.

Alex31
25-06-2014, 07:37 PM
Just wondering does you Bluetooth work? Cuz do you really want to drill holes in a GTI dash?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lambertia
25-06-2014, 10:27 PM
I have the brodit pro clip on the right side over the vent. It's great. Your link seems to be a rebadged brodit. I don't notice any bad side effects from the clip.

The clip itself is only a few dollars. You still need to attach you phone mount to this. It may be worth buying the clip to see how you like it before you pull the dash apart.

Sent from my SGP311 using Tapatalk

frogg
26-06-2014, 09:38 AM
Alex 31, Bluetooth is fine.....want it to hold the phone, not for the audio connectivity. In the past on other cars, I have been able to slide a bracket between the panels parallel with the radio and screw it to something on the inside of the dash so that it cannot be seen from the outside of the dash.

Lambertia, yes they are the same as the brodit ones, just distributed in Aus by Hold My Phone. I had one of their mounts and holders in my last car and thought it was great - but that one mounted in the perfect position, high on the dash near the steering wheel without blocking the air vents. Biggest concern that I have is how it disrupts the air flow for the climate control?

Matt P
28-06-2014, 11:23 AM
I have the angle mount and it suits well, right down near the usb/3.5mm. Would like a higher one for an ipad mini for navigation, car apps etc.. so considering the vent one too

adhock
30-06-2014, 09:01 PM
Not sure what the problem is. My phone (old iPhone 4) hooks in via Bluetooth automatically after initial setup. I just have to beat the missus into the car or her phone gets the hookup. Then works via wheel buttons or the Phone option on centre screen. Receives calls, makes calls, no hassle, lives in my pocket or on a USB charging cable. Contacts / phone book accessible via Golf buttons. Same as my old Golf 6. Why a separate mount?

frogg
30-06-2014, 09:05 PM
So that it is not bouncing around the cup holders while I'm driving!

In my last few cars I've always had a mount/cradle to put it in and charge.

Not as important in the Golf 7 as the names come up on the MFP/radio display.....but old habits die hard. Also find I tend to leave it in the car less often if it is in a cradle all the time!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

veew
06-07-2014, 11:53 PM
I've been using this over the right central vent off to the right of the adjuster. The phone has held securely over the past 5 months and the mount has not come loose from the vent. Cheap and effective, it still is in the way of a vent (well half of the vent) but for me is much more preferable than drilling holes in the dash.

Kenu Airframe Portable Car Vent Mount for iPhone - Apple Store (Australia) (http://store.apple.com/au/product/HFQS2ZM/A/kenu-airframe-portable-car-vent-mount-for-iphone?fnode=cd1e5e55795fd224454a8d2b49003e0fbabf9 54099f97cc9ec554812b14dd90d15fdda3ac8c777ac519f513 97199dcbc541f98cbfd194f0452b9bf327b5240ebc47371f90 431d608c6c636bea421c698b5c0ba0c93710c814164a60977d 964b2fc618f559b5d86c3ac484d0ffe89dac2)

Dennis Edwards
09-09-2014, 12:13 AM
I have the brodit pro clip on the right side over the vent. It's great. I don't notice any bad side effects from the clip.

Any issues with the AirCon in summer?

Where do you run your charging cable?

frogg
29-09-2014, 01:20 AM
OK, so didn't get much in the way of replies online, so went searching for additional information....

Found this video that gave me and indication of how to get the Screen surround off.....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2r_sZGe8Ato
(https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2r_sZGe8Ato)
Looks like a slightly different dash/radio combo, but my surround came off the same way.

Once done, it was apparent that I could not put the bracket where I wanted it - next to the vent - as there was nowhere I would be able to screw it in, so I decided that putting it a little lower.

I used a mobile phone mount bracket that I had in a previous car, with a little "Sculpting" with an angle grinder, and managed to get it to fit, combining this with half of a $5 ebay phone holder, end result is that I have the phone permanently mounted basically where I wanted it.

The phone covers to buttons on the left of the screen (Nav, Setup, Car, Traffic) but I really only use two of those anyway - Nav, Car.

If anyone is interested, happy to post more of a detailed guide....