PDA

View Full Version : VW owner looking at a 150tdi - options with accessories?

bennjamin
23-06-2014, 07:57 AM
Hey everyone, long time VW owner here looking at a current model 150tdi touareg. Fine and dandy, goes well etc but since we are looking at the base model I ponder are there any alternatives to the $4k + sat nav option? Keen to stick with the base and not push to the 180 if we can avoid it.
I understand it's a larger screen and a lot of work but just wondering if there is an addition to the existing part or other integration you can get.

Many thanks for any thoughts thanks !

Flipper Dog
23-06-2014, 06:16 PM
I have the RNS850 Satnav in my 180TDI, where the size and integration is great the quality of maps and cost to update them is not worth the effort.
A $150 odd Navman/Tom Tom/Garmin can provide me with new maps every couple of months, give me live traffic and camera location warnings.
From what I understand the base RCD550 has the same functions (less navigation).

MultiplexMan
24-06-2014, 02:11 PM
Same here. I purchased the 150 without the SatNav. VW satnav updates are just too expensive...

I use a Garmin that I have discretely powered. It sits in the pop up cubby in the centre of the dash. Simply close the cubby lid when parked.

A hell of a lot cheaper than the factory option even if you have to pay someone like FHRX to do the wiring uber-professionally.

mcouldrey
24-06-2014, 09:57 PM
150 owner here! I too could not justify an extra $10k or however much it was for a bigger screen and airbag suspension.

We bought an iPad mini which we use in the car. It sits perfectly on its own on the dash once you open the glove box thing in the centre.

If you buy a diesel chip, youll end up with 180kw just as I did!

bennjamin
25-06-2014, 12:31 PM
thanks for the replies team.
The satnav is the only option that my wife actually wants and is otherwise happy with the car. multiplexman (http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/members/multiplexman) do you have any pix of the setup ? Im guessing its hardwired in or ?

Oh BTW definitely aiming for a chip for that 180kw and a boot more torque. Towbar as well ;)

Hoodie
28-06-2014, 09:21 AM
I have a 150 stock standard with the RCD550 and it is a great sounding system Bluetooth is faultless and it also has a SD card input for a 32gb card as well as the ability to load 6 CD's - everything I would want from a car sound system.

For navigation I use my iphone with the Sygic app, really good nav software. I have a very simple air vent cradle that costs $2 to $3 from eBay and when I don't need nav I detach the main section of the cradle - very easy
CAR AIR Vent Clip Mount Holder Cradle Stand FOR Apple Iphone 5 5G 5s | eBay (http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/191113679236)

Hoodie
28-06-2014, 09:26 AM
Performance wise don't underrate the 150 it has enough power and is no slouch off the line

7crwolf
28-06-2014, 01:22 PM
I'm in the same boat, just put the deposit down on a 150TDI, for delivery in August. I too could not justify the $20K premium to move up to the 180, which gets you all of: Navigation, Air Suspension, 2" larger wheels, and 30kw more from the same engine (which you can chip to 180 anyway). Plus I drove both, and couldn't tell the difference in engine power.

I've been researching options to replace the RCD-550, and it would be great to upgrade to DNS850, but it's way too expensive to justify, considering aftermarket alternatives...

Here's one I came across today that looks pretty promising. Apparently it's a plug and play replacement for the RCD550: 302 Found (http://www.alibaba.com/product-detail/8inch-multimedia-autoradio-car-dvd-gps_1851174319.html). (Link says not found, but click it, it works). Of all of them I've seen, it looks the most OEM, very similar to DNS850.

I also came across a mob in NZ called ACAP that will modify the stock RCD-550 to add aftermarket navigation, which looks pretty slick. It sounds like they have a distributor in Australia that will do it for around $1500. ACAP9200 for Volkswagen Touareg RCD550 Radio - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jEd_hbXWiuU)

Anyway, the downside of all the aftermarket ones in my opinion (other than potentially the fit and finish), is that apparently none of them use the factory bluetooth microphone, so I'm guessing that sound quality on calls isn't as good as the stock bluetooth unit. I'll probably just stick with the stock unit for now, but I'm hoping someone out here is braver than me, and will take the plunge on one of those aftermarket DNS-850 units from China, but AudioSources. It looks slick.

mcouldrey
28-06-2014, 08:18 PM
Good find on that aftermarket Nav for the 550 but you'd want to have a habit of getting lost for $1500. If that could add digital tv or dvd that easy it would be better! Very interesting that you couldn't tell any difference in 30kw. I added a power chip to my 150 and don't think it added much 0-100km but more power when overtaking others at 100km+.

bennjamin
29-06-2014, 07:44 PM
Thought I'd update -

Unfortunately we went past a Audi dealer and just happened on a demo MY14 q5 v6 tdi in white with all the fruit of a 180 touareg plus more for less money. I couldn't say no :-/
Still have a mk7 tsi as a run about , haven't left the brand yet :0)