PDA

View Full Version : Sat nav licence agreement always showing

Ohmang
21-06-2014, 05:21 PM
Most times when I start my Golf R up, a licence agreement comes up on the touchscreen.

Its a warning / agreement about the sat nav system etc. You need to press OK to dismiss it. Is there any way of de-activating it ?

It comes up whether or not I am in the navigation system or not.

Brendan_A
21-06-2014, 05:28 PM
That's a good question. My wife hates it!

Keen to hear if it can be turned off.

Dutch77
21-06-2014, 05:43 PM
Please be a way.. everyone hates it.

For some reason, one which I am yet to work out, it doesn't always happens on mine - I'd say it's even closer to a 50/50 each way bet, regardless of what the unit is screening at the time of start up.

Ohmang
21-06-2014, 05:52 PM
Yeh - same odds as me. And I cant pinpoint when it will happen. Doesn't matter what screen I was in previously.

You'd think there should be one time you press it -maybe after the initial install or after a software upgrade.

Anyone going to a dealer for service soon? Would be a perfect time to ask!!

Please be a way.. everyone hates it.

For some reason, one which I am yet to work out, it doesn't always happens on mine - I'd say it's even closer to a 50/50 each way bet, regardless of what the unit is screening at the time of start up.

DV52
21-06-2014, 06:42 PM
Most times when I start my Golf R up, a licence agreement comes up on the touchscreen.

Its a warning / agreement about the sat nav system etc. You need to press OK to dismiss it. Is there any way of de-activating it ?

It comes up whether or not I am in the navigation system or not.

Ohmang: Like all the other responses here, I hate it too. But it's not peculiar to the VW SATNAV. The same type of message also appears on my Garmin (another car). I ssuspect that it is a legal thing that somehow shifts liability from the manufacturer to the driver.

It's ironic (I think) that the driver is invited to read the message (possibly while driving) to acknowledge that he/she will use the device safely!!

flight
21-06-2014, 09:11 PM
Ohmang: Like all the other responses here, I hate it too. But it's not peculiar to the VW SATNAV. The same type of message also appears on my Garmin (another car). I ssuspect that it is a legal thing that somehow shifts liability from the manufacturer to the driver.

It's ironic (I think) that the driver is invited to read the message (possibly while driving) to acknowledge that he/she will use the device safely!!

At least the message is able to be dismissed instantly. The same type of message on a Hyundai can take up to 30 seconds to dismiss whilst the 'OK' button is greyed out and no functionality whatsoever is available for use. The VW lawyer message is no problem by comparison with Hyundai, even if it is a bit of a pain.

Dutch77
21-06-2014, 11:15 PM
I've seen on the Subaru Liberty system a similar message which came up 100% of the time; conversely the current Mazda system (TomTom) never has the message. Pretty sure the current VF Holden also has no message (these examples just happen to be vehicles I've been in and can recall).

Oh well.. :???:

zardoz
23-06-2014, 12:43 AM
The mark 6 doesn't have this problem. If I receive my car with this issue, I will be chasing this up pronto.

DV52
23-06-2014, 10:51 AM
The mark 6 doesn't have this problem. If I receive my car with this issue, I will be chasing this up pronto.

zardoz: If you are buying a SATNAV product for VW vehicle that is based on the MQB platform, I don't know how you can avoid the issue. But I do like the sound of your fierce determination - good luck on your crusade (I hope there is no parallel with Don Quixote's dilemma) !

kennyc
23-06-2014, 05:07 PM
Same thing happens to me and again it is random. Very annoying but I doubt you will be able to turn it off as I have seen it on other cars.

Velocity_Racing
24-06-2014, 12:40 PM
yep random here too.. but it doesnt bother me, a touch of the screen and its gone.. easy :D

Nauend
24-06-2014, 05:55 PM
yeah, seems random on mine too, and not appear for days (or so it seems - maybe I just press it automatically)! The message is true though, as using the VW satnav can be soooo frustrating because of all it's problems........

It's nowhere near as annoying at the "Caution! Possibility of frost on road" message that comes up on the dash and beeps audibly at you when the temp is below 5 degrees or thereabouts, but then you may not get temps that low in Sydney. This warning was going off regularly today while driving in Canberra and I bet it could cause accidents if it startles you!

Eaglehawk
24-06-2014, 07:53 PM
I bet it could cause accidents if it startles you!

You can use to it if you're a real Canberran :)

Nauend
24-06-2014, 08:01 PM
You can use to it if you're a real Canberran :)

Lol, born, raised and live in Canberra, and am getting used to the frost bleep!

DeboDasAuto
24-06-2014, 10:35 PM
also the nag message stays on screen until you click OK - at least on the old Garmin the message drops away after 30 seconds or so...I wonder if we had Voice activated you could just yell out "OK!!"

Dutch77
24-06-2014, 10:37 PM
..except I tend to mutter something else when it pops up. Not required today though - it was random not appear day.

kennyc
25-06-2014, 11:50 AM
Since my last post the message has disappeared...
Haven't had it since Monday :)

Dutch77
25-06-2014, 03:19 PM
Could be weather related given you're In Victoria and getting ours from Monday - two more trips x 2 today with no message, that puts me on a six drive streak of no message.

Perhaps we need to start a leaderboard. ;)

mgrobins
25-06-2014, 09:57 PM
The NAV message is irritating and the general feel I get from the other messages is that they are condescending and assume you area total moron. I'm sick of products being designed for the lowest common denominator. Think of the Children!!!!

Perhaps we can petition VAG to have a parental control installed enabling us to turn off the stupid reminders and messages....

fontana302
26-06-2014, 08:14 PM
Surely there must be a VCDS tweak to turn this off?

With BMW's you can (using the equivalent to VCDS), so I reckon there must be a way.

DV52
31-01-2016, 11:12 AM
Surely there must be a VCDS tweak to turn this off?

With BMW's you can (using the equivalent to VCDS), so I reckon there must be a way.

Fontana: Hello again. Yes, there is a (simple) VCDS tweak to turn-off the "nag screen". The original instructions were provided by Zloybob.

I've provided a link to Zloybob's tweak in my VCDS reference thread, but here's the "Open Controller" screen shot

http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2015/03/x9zYuVt-1.jpg

Or, if you want to do it the easy way, here's the long coding helper screen shot of the pertinent byte. It's bye 23 of the infotainment control module (address Hex5F)- remove tick from Bit 2.

http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2016/01/pq4mK1dpng-1.jpg

Cheers
Don

PS: Please note that when I did this tweak, I had to set-up the radio again (lost RDS and TP) . Not difficult to do, just need to be aware that it's a necessary step in the tweak

bobcrusader
31-01-2016, 11:44 AM
What's the screen before this? I can't find the screens you are showing?

DV52
31-01-2016, 12:31 PM
What's the screen before this? I can't find the screens you are showing?

Bob:

From the "Main" VCDS screen (below) click "Select"

http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2016/01/Rj795MVpng-1.jpg

Then click "5F-Information Elect" (see below"

http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2016/01/0R9X6gMpng-1.jpg

Then click "Coding-07"

http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2016/01/VdXOjnBpng-1.jpg

Then click "Long Coding Helper" - see 1st screen shot on my previous post
Go to Byte 23 (2nd last byte from RHS) - see 2nd screen shot on my previous post
Then remove tick from Bit 2
Then click the "X" on the top RHS of the long coding helper screen
Then click Doit!
Then close all the screens

Cheers
Don