PDA

View Full Version : B6 Passat 103kW TDI - hesitation

vw50
29-10-2007, 06:26 PM
Hello All:

An issue has developed with my '07 103kw Passat TDI, in that at times, there is a distinct hesitation when starting off from a stop. It may require, the accelerator pedal to almost go to the floor before there is any movement-then the turbo kicks in at a rush.

It does not occur all the time. It may be on a hill or level road. I've had the car back to the dealer, checked it out, and all was ok. The service staffer went with me on a hill and he got the car to do the same thing. He said something about the dsg and the engine, but assured me there was no problem as it's a diesel.

Having been caught in a traffic situation, I needed the car to move there and then. Having this occur is not the best thing. I use BP diesel (51 cetane rating).

There are no other problems. Fuel consumtion is great.

Has any member got any ideas please.

VW50.

BlackVr6ix
30-10-2007, 07:27 AM
DSG? I have the same problem in our V6..... VWA assures me this is normal, i cant wait for their tech to drive it...

In the states there was a TSB (technical service Bulliten) for this, the short code was OJ12.

Ours is booked in for the 16th Nov, i'll let you know how it goes.

VW Convert
30-10-2007, 07:41 AM
Hello All:

An issue has developed with my '07 103kw Passat TDI, in that at times, there is a distinct hesitation when starting off from a stop. It may require, the accelerator pedal to almost go to the floor before there is any movement-then the turbo kicks in at a rush.

It does not occur all the time. It may be on a hill or level road. I've had the car back to the dealer, checked it out, and all was ok. The service staffer went with me on a hill and he got the car to do the same thing. He said something about the dsg and the engine, but assured me there was no problem as it's a diesel.

Having been caught in a traffic situation, I needed the car to move there and then. Having this occur is not the best thing. I use BP diesel (51 cetane rating).

There are no other problems. Fuel consumtion is great.

Has any member got any ideas please.

VW50.

This sounds similar to what I experienced when I first got my Jetta. Found myself stuck (repeatedly) in the middle of an intersection with traffic bearing down and no response from the throttle whatsoever. I was used to using left foot braking technique and have found that not doing that rectifies the problem.

Using the brake disconnects the throttle and there seems to be a time lag between taking the foot off the brake and the throttle responding. It's a pretty ordinary thing to experience and I find the whole thing annoying in the extreme.

Cheers

George

Transporter
30-10-2007, 02:09 PM
This sounds similar to what I experienced when I first got my Jetta. Found myself stuck (repeatedly) in the middle of an intersection with traffic bearing down and no response from the throttle whatsoever. I was used to using left foot braking technique and have found that not doing that rectifies the problem.

Using the brake disconnects the throttle and there seems to be a time lag between taking the foot off the brake and the throttle responding. It's a pretty ordinary thing to experience and I find the whole thing annoying in the extreme.

Cheers

George

Yes, the same on our Golf - I just perfected using left foot for braking (timing and synchronisation between left and right-just think about it when you brake, that's all is needed). ;)
However if you drive only with one foot it is going to be something else.

GermanwithaVdub
30-10-2007, 04:05 PM
i drive with one foot and i have the same thing (am currently driving a 103kw dsg golf tdi). ive come to the conclusion that its normal based on the research ive done. basically i guess the engine has no grunt before the turbo hits and so the dsg transmission "slips" the clutch to keep engine revs up but that obviously reduces throttle power.

its annoying i agree and sometimes very scary when you're just sitting in the middle of a big intersection and then suddenly the turbo hits and your wheels start spinning and you look like an ass lol.

cant wait for the MANUAL gt sport coming my way mid next month booyah :D

tbh i think its just something you're going to have to live with unfortunately.

-michael.

ps: all my above comments on whats going on are pure speculation, not based on any real facts

vw50
31-10-2007, 05:13 PM
Thank you all for your info. Did a search on the net and in the USA, owners had similar probelms not only with diesels but also the petrol versions.

With that code info, owners had the software re-programmed, and from the comments, all was ok. No throttle hesitation, quick response acceleration.

I have sent a complaint e mail to VW A, stating the USA problems and here. They are looking into it, and according to them, they have not received any complaints re this issue.

vw50.

vw50
31-10-2007, 05:15 PM
thanks for that code info. have looked it up on the net. probs in the USA, but fixed.

vw50

vw50
02-11-2007, 06:05 PM
Just an update. Received info from VW A. There is no 'fix' in Aust for this issue, and again they stated they have not had any complaints. About those codes, they were used for VW's in the USA, and arn't appicable to VW's in Aust. VW's in the USA are different to VW's here----for some reason. The only suggestion was to take it back to the dealer for another look. They did look at the fault codes, but nothing showed up and the car was 'normal'.

VW50.

vw50
18-11-2007, 02:20 PM
DSG? I have the same problem in our V6..... VWA assures me this is normal, i cant wait for their tech to drive it...

In the states there was a TSB (technical service Bulliten) for this, the short code was OJ12.

Ours is booked in for the 16th Nov, i'll let you know how it goes.

Hello blackVr6ix:

did you get that problem fix? What was the result? What did they say?

vw50.

GermanwithaVdub
19-11-2007, 02:45 AM
mine is in for service on tuesday, i will definitely mention it and report back

raymie1969
06-12-2007, 02:57 PM
Hi -This is my first post....my 6 months old wagon has the same problem...the dealer claimed it was the petrol - i was using Shell 98% octain and he suggested that i go to BP or Mobil....still the problem exists.....the dealer has taken it for a couple of test drives but as it only happens intermittenly they say they have not felt the hesitation........I have been told that it could be a vacumn problem....but after reading your posts it seems to be a computer malfunction...my 15000 service is next week ...i have printed out your comments to show them ..as they tell me there is nothing wrong and they have not heard of this problem before.....
I will give you feedback after the service. Thanks for your advice.

phaeton
07-12-2007, 09:00 PM
Welcome to VWwA raymie1969 j:

Thanks for your post please keep the forum up to date with your progress.

Good Luck with whatever the dealer is doing ;)

Bora Sport
07-12-2007, 10:27 PM
It must be a common problem. I talking to a guy the other day with a 2.0 diesel Jetta with DSG and he was saying that the only thing he didn't like about the car was this hesitation just as described above.

raymie1969
10-12-2007, 12:47 PM
Just thought that i would let you know that since i have stopped left foot braking ( after reading your posts etc) - I have not had the problem....I am only talking 4 days since i reverted to right foot braking...and I may be a bit early in calling the problem fixed...but so far so good....It will be interesting to see what the dealer says about the left / right foot braking...I will try to get them to take it up with VW etc.

raymie1969

SoVeReIgN
10-12-2007, 01:02 PM
All Bosch ECUs in late model VAG cars will disregard throttle inputs on even the slightest touch of the brake pedal. (And close the throttle)

OilBurna
20-12-2007, 06:25 AM
hope you get it resolved touch wood no problems with mine so far. 2007 TDI wagon

raymie1969
24-12-2007, 01:57 PM
Folks - I have had my first 15k service and i advised the VW service dept about the left foot braking causing the hesitation.....they had not heard of this but said they would look into it....I would not hold my breath....but ever since I have stopped braking left foot i have not had the problem.

Problem solved thanks to the guys on this site.:)

GermanwithaVdub
24-12-2007, 04:20 PM
There is a TSB for this, basically it explains what the gears/clutches are doing at different times such as on take off, decel and acceleration. It goes on to say it is a normal characteristic of the DSG box and no repair is required!! Unless there is a fault in the system we can't do anything about. The mechatroniks is coded to each car from factory and there are no software updates available for the DSG.

for what its worth, the manual does not have any turbo lag or hesitation, so its definitely a 'box related issue

vw50
03-01-2008, 01:15 PM
hello germanwithavdub:

How did you go with that service issue? Was the hesitation problem fixed? What was the cause etcetcetc,

I have noticed with my car; on a hot day, with auto air on, the problem seems to be more apparent. Foot almost to the floor before it wants to move!!!

VW50

vw50
03-01-2008, 01:19 PM
Hi 1969:

how did you go with your service? What did they say? Problem fixed?

vw50

mikinoz
03-01-2008, 02:12 PM
in our golf we get a hesitation on a slight incline when accelerating lightly under load - the ECU has been restored to an updated setting, and was told that this should sort it out - it hasn't.

Like a miss in a petrol car.

OilBurna
03-01-2008, 02:39 PM
strange, cna they do an ecu reset to clear any fault codes. I have a slight heistation when starting off but as per the reviews pretty much common to all passat's with DSG. Should try sport / manual mode again and see if any different. Also with / without auto hold function.

will report back, word is there is an update available to cure this, just annoying if you want to start off quickly you get the initial hesitation and then almost chirp the front wheels when the power kicks in.

vw50
14-01-2008, 11:17 AM
Hi all,

Re this problem, on the 4 Jan 08, I decided to e mail VW Germany, indicating the problem of owners here and the USA, and the codes used to remap the the computer etc. To date, no reply!!!

VW50

guthrie
22-02-2008, 08:56 AM
Bump...

Anyone had any luck with this issue. My wife and I get regularly caught out in our 103kW Tdi sedan trying to beat gaps in traffic only to hit the massive flat spot... Ive started trying accelerating early to get around the issue.