PDA

View Full Version : Buying a used Caddy

The Guv
03-06-2014, 04:12 PM
Hi Gents,

The second in my series of noob Caddy questions; what should I be looking for when I go and check out a Caddy privately or at a dealer? Our budget is only going to extend to the early DSG cars as we can't buy a manual. We're going for the barn doors and hopefully windows as well.

So anything that would stand out on cold start and/or a test drive? Anything with the doors or dash etc. ?

Any stress points or rust areas that need to be checked?

Is there any mileage that comes with warnings? Eg. don't buy after 300k kays or if it's a shy under 200k it means it's due for a service?

And finally are there any steps that need to be done after purchasing - eg. put away another grand to do X to the intake or Y to the engine?

I appreciate any help or advice =)

Thanks

CleanGetaway
12-06-2014, 08:26 PM
Hi Gents,

The second in my series of noob Caddy questions; what should I be looking for when I go and check out a Caddy privately or at a dealer? Our budget is only going to extend to the early DSG cars as we can't buy a manual. We're going for the barn doors and hopefully windows as well.

So anything that would stand out on cold start and/or a test drive? Anything with the doors or dash etc. ?

Any stress points or rust areas that need to be checked?

Is there any mileage that comes with warnings? Eg. don't buy after 300k kays or if it's a shy under 200k it means it's due for a service?

And finally are there any steps that need to be done after purchasing - eg. put away another grand to do X to the intake or Y to the engine?

I appreciate any help or advice =)

Thanks

Hi Mate,
Really check out the gearbox and see if it has ever been serviced (drained oil and replaced with new synthetic oil)
the dealership will say it never has to happen but you should do it ever 30,000km. I am onto my 2nd caddy as we use them for work and I have bought both privatly and they both have never had their gearboxes serviced and are required a new bearing kit costing over $1500.

That's what I reckon anyway