PDA

View Full Version : Golf 7 R - High pitched noise from Glove Box area?

choC
27-05-2014, 01:19 PM
I've had a very odd noise coming from the glove-box area intermittently, and I'm lost as to what may be causing it.

The noise is produced at seemingly random times, including when I first sit in the car in the morning (without even starting the engine yet), while driving or even after coming to a stop and turning off the engine.

I was able to get a video of it to help you guys hear it, any thoughts?

Video:
VW Golf R 7 - Whining noise from Glove-box - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/embed/0yCfSgNr4Y8)

andrew7
27-05-2014, 01:58 PM
Interesting, dont have that noise in my R. Sounds electrical. Back to the dealer I'd suggest.

choC
27-05-2014, 02:06 PM
Interesting, dont have that noise in my R. Sounds electrical. Back to the dealer I'd suggest.

I'm going to the dealer tomorrow, but I'm just worried that because it is so intermittent they may just say they didn't hear anything!

If it wasn't so loud it really wouldn't bother me but I can clearly hear it over the stereo when the whine is at its loudest.

Brycem
27-05-2014, 07:37 PM
I have noises not dissimilar to what you describe when the engine is switched off. They last about two to three minutes and then silence.

choC
27-05-2014, 09:14 PM
I have noises not dissimilar to what you describe when the engine is switched off. They last about two to three minutes and then silence.

Do you only hear it when after you switch the engine off?

Brycem
27-05-2014, 10:01 PM
Yes. Do you get the noise on switch off?

Jimi
27-05-2014, 10:48 PM
I get a whine on switch-off in my gti but I don't notice it when the car is running. I'm guessing it has something to do with the lights or electricals in general (if you turn them on when the car is off the noise changes)

Edit: It doesn't sound anything like that video though so I think not everyone describing the switch off noise is talking about the same thing

RoccoR
27-05-2014, 10:49 PM
It's completely normal. Nothing to be concerned about. I also used to get it on my scirocco R

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DV52
28-05-2014, 10:32 AM
I get a whine on switch-off in my gti but I don't notice it when the car is running. I'm guessing it has something to do with the lights or electricals in general (if you turn them on when the car is off the noise changes)

Edit: It doesn't sound anything like that video though so I think not everyone describing the switch off noise is talking about the same thing

Jimi; The whine noise on switch off that you have described is likely (IMO) the electric water pump cooling down the turbo charger. Turning lights on/off will change the speed of the pump because the additional electric load will drop the supply voltage at the point of connection to the pump (DC motor speed is sensitive to volts).

But I think that you are correct - choC's problem sounds very different

DV52
28-05-2014, 10:51 AM
I've had a very odd noise coming from the glove-box area intermittently, and I'm lost as to what may be causing it.

The noise is produced at seemingly random times, including when I first sit in the car in the morning (without even starting the engine yet), while driving or even after coming to a stop and turning off the engine.

I was able to get a video of it to help you guys hear it, any thoughts?

Video:
VW Golf R 7 - Whining noise from Glove-box - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/embed/0yCfSgNr4Y8)

ChoC: I'm not sure if you are aware, but the glove box is extremely easy to remove on the mkVII. It's a simple matter of opening the glove box and pushing-on two small tabs (catches) at the top -either side of the back part of the glove box. It's useful to know how to do this because it's how you get to the main fuse panel on the car.

Given the intermittent nature of the noise it might be worth removing the glove box and looking behind the passenger dash when next the noise appears.

flagger
28-05-2014, 01:13 PM
ChoC: I'm not sure if you are aware, but the glove box is extremely easy to remove on the mkVII. It's a simple matter of opening the glove box and pushing-on two small tabs (catches) at the top -either side of the back part of the glove box. It's useful to know how to do this because it's how you get to the main fuse panel on the car.

Just be a bit careful with the little arm thing on the left side which is connected to a sensor. It can come out. The side closest to the rear of the car has a little knob which you just unhook from the glove box compartment when removing.

armthehomeless
28-05-2014, 02:01 PM
I have an interesting noise like what you describe...but I'm not sure if it's coming from the glovebox. Might have to check.

Mine happens every time the car moves. When you come to a stop, it continues for 3-4 seconds then stops.

I don't accept that this is "normal" and that you should just get used to it. Mine gives me a headache!

choC
28-05-2014, 03:36 PM
Went to the dealer this morning and couldn't repeat the noise, however I did show them the video recording of it and they agreed it definitely is not a "normal" operating noise. It is extremely high pitched, distracting and headache inducing - if anyone believes it to be a normal noise they need to get their hearing checked!

Will be leaving my ride with them for 2 days next week so they can try and diagnose the problem. My guess is it's either a faulty relay for one of the interior lights or a capacitor of some sort in the infotainment unit.

I was able to rule out the noise being anything engine related because I have heard it when first sitting in the car in the morning without even starting the engine.

armthehomeless
28-05-2014, 03:55 PM
I was able to rule out the noise being anything engine related because I have heard it when first sitting in the car in the morning without even starting the engine.

Right well its not the same as mine then. But the sound was similar in your video...so I'll be monitoring this thread :)

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

buzuki
28-05-2014, 07:25 PM
Is it the CD drive spooling?

choC
29-05-2014, 10:21 AM
Is it the CD drive spooling?

Nope, there were no CDs in the drive and even if so, the sound is very different to a spooling CD.

droeck
14-09-2014, 01:04 AM
Nope, there were no CDs in the drive and even if so, the sound is very different to a spooling CD.Bringing back somewhat of an old thread here, but I'm experiencing this exact same issue in my mk7 GTI. Was there ever any solution on this? Thanks in advance for your help!Daniel

choC
19-11-2014, 01:56 PM
Thanks DV52.

The sound has been becoming much less frequent lately, but I definitely notice it coming up every now and again. It seems to be more susceptible when the car is under a lot of electrical load (eg. Music on, air-con on, lights on etc) so I have a strong suspicion it is a relay or fuse causing the noise.

Will try to remove the glovebox next time I hear it and see if I can pinpoint it further.

Another thing to note, if I open the glovebox and slam it shut, the sound actually does go away for a couple of seconds... ???

Idle
19-11-2014, 03:09 PM
Thanks DV52.

The sound has been becoming much less frequent lately, but I definitely notice it coming up every now and again. It seems to be more susceptible when the car is under a lot of electrical load (eg. Music on, air-con on, lights on etc) so I have a strong suspicion it is a relay or fuse causing the noise.

Will try to remove the glovebox next time I hear it and see if I can pinpoint it further.

Another thing to note, if I open the glovebox and slam it shut, the sound actually does go away for a couple of seconds... ???

That suggests a vibration — try folding a bit of cloth and jam it under the glovebox lid.

BCK
29-11-2014, 12:12 PM
I had exactly the same issue, found out it was because the car was sending air to the forward vents, but they were all closed so it was whistling through the gaps as the pressure was so high from the vents being shut.

Try closing the all the front-facing vents, set the AC to venting forward, then turn up the AC speed and see if thats what noise you were hearing.