PDA

View Full Version : How to strip off old paint.

99gti
27-10-2007, 10:38 AM
So I have my new bar but it's in need of some tlc.

Firstly, I'd like to strip off the paint that's currently on it and give it a good tidy up. Theres a few cracks but I think it'd be an easy job to do.

What grade sand paper should I use on it to bring it back to a point where I could then get it re-sprayed?

Secondly what product should I use to do some minor repairs from where it's been scrubbed against the ground?

gpk_gti
27-10-2007, 10:39 AM
bog is your friend!!!!!!!!!!:D

rayray086
27-10-2007, 06:15 PM
I actually bought this "urethane paint stripper" that was able to completely strip off the paint of my rear bumper. Bloody easy - the paint lifted in 5 minutes and it revealed a clean, blank plastic surface for me to work with. Tried it on the front bumper and it did nothing at all... The urethane paint stripper was the cheaper of the bumper paint stripper products - there was another that was totally dedicated to removing paint from plastics but it cost twice as much for the same amount. I'm sure you can find something similar at a good dedicated paint shop.

If you want to just scuff the paint/clearcoat for respraying, anything from 180-400 should do fine. Best not to go any higher as you'll need a nice scuffed surface for the new paint to stick on. Make sure you use wax/grease remover before spraying.

For repairing bumpers, I've found plastic welding to be very easy and pretty much the best. I've used scraps from a damaged bumper for materials and a wire soldering iron with a flatblade tip for the welding. It's cheap as well - I got my soldering iron for $25 on eBay. Sanding is the same deal. You'd need to put a layer of filler down to achieve a smooth and even finish though. Alternatives would be to completely bog the whole thing with fibreglass or a dedicated plastic filler like Isopon Bumper Fill. I bought that from the same paint shop I got the paint stripper from - it was quite expensive and I've yet to try it out, but will be soon so I'll note down any comments here later. However, completely bogging the whole thing may ultimately lead to cracks in the long run - I've had this happened to me on a grille I did. Welding would be the proper way to do it, and it's MUCH easier than it looks; it's nothing like metal welding. Just remember to wear a mask... plastic fumes are, erm, intoxicating.

With repairing the bottom part of the bumper, if it's not visible at standing eye level, don't bother. It'll only get scratched again, especially if you've got the car lowered!