PDA

View Full Version : 16v engines for mk1.... (subject now)...head refitting

finemk1
07-06-2005, 03:56 PM
gday folks new to site. kick ass work by the way
right.. heres the story. had a stock golf relplaced motor for 1.8 16v running on microtech with custom fuel rail with large injectors, fuel pump and the rest. had for a bout a year then rings shat them self. slowly built up a audi 2lt with oversized pistons and a flowed 1.8 vw head new component through out. that lasted 2 days after the tune on the dyno, (sounded like a freekin 13b P port) at idle, was fast but was only running it in.
shot a valve in to a piston and f***ed the whole lot.

UPDATE: ive now had the bottom end rebuilt and head fixed but having trouble fitting it

Golf Loon
07-06-2005, 05:32 PM
Isn`t there one in the buy and sell on this site? Block only. I have a cheap 1.8 8v, but its not the solution you want. Theres a guy in Byron i know who wants $1500 for a running 1.8 16v KR motor, complete, but no loom.

finemk1
07-06-2005, 05:44 PM
sounds ok $1500 is aa fairly decent price, i already have mircotech setup in it so the loom isnt required, do u have a contact number or email addy for him. as i am chasing down all leads to find what i want. cheers

Golf Loon
07-06-2005, 06:00 PM
You have P.M. Tell him I sent you and he may need to be persuaded to let you have it. Good Luck. If not, I am getting one soon, so will keep you posted.

finemk1
16-06-2005, 07:16 PM
im also looking for info rebuilding a 1.8 16valve, i beleive the rings are shot and theres a bit of rust in the cylinders, can any body help me source the best parts for a 1.8 and who can rebuild the bottom end for cheap bucks, ,private or shop front, im positioned in canberra and will drive to syd to get it done....

roccodingo
19-06-2005, 08:18 PM
I can get you either 1.8 or 2.0 16 V engines from UK, let me know your preference and I will get a price for you.

My shipper has just left UK, bringing me home 4 x Rocco 1 NOS hoods and a set of sills and rear arch repair panels. Tell me what internal new components you need for the re build and I will get my UK man to price that stuff up for you too. Container comes every 3 months.

Prob better to e mail me the list on : bing_59@hotmail.com.

:wink:

finemk1
30-06-2005, 11:05 AM
and to grab a bit more ooompfff from a 1.8 16v what about crank pullys, i have word and looked up lightweight/ billet crank case timing belt pullys, whichgive u 15+ ponies at the rubba and allowing the crank to be relived of some undeeded weight and spin faster, if any one has one on there car or know of someone who does, anygood? problems?
might have to buy from over seas so would like to know befor hand

20v kit car
30-06-2005, 07:24 PM
its a wise move to use the lightweight pulley's more so if your giving the donk a hard rev..the VWM 16v uses lightweight pulleys for extra punch,they work fine with no adverse affects up to date..all preformance engines should seriously run this product..how much buckolleys?..in conjunction with a lightweight flywheel would be advised..cheers steve

finemk1
07-07-2005, 10:15 PM
will be getting a crank pully made up out of billet at a local machining shop will cost $100 as he is an ok mate, cant wait............

and is there a difference in sizes with the intake manifold for the 16v, ive seen some with the throttle body on the left and some on the right, am i right to say one is 50mm and one is 40mm or are the pipes the same and just the throttle body different?

Golf Loon
07-07-2005, 11:38 PM
The euro intake manifolds are 50mm the downtuned ones are 40mm.
Dunno about inlets. My 9a motors inlet comes out on the right side.

TassieGTi
08-07-2005, 10:03 AM
1.8 Inlets are the smaller ones whether left or right, whereas the 9a 2.0 is the bigger one.
Big is not always better and light flywheels are awful on road cars driving around the street.

black betty
08-07-2005, 01:29 PM
early kr (1.8 ) from golfs in the late 80's had 50mm inlets

in the uk i have owned kr 1.8 with 50mm inlets and a 1991 passat 1.8 with 40mm inlets

the 50mm inlet car had less torque but revved harder and had much more power at the tope end

hope that helps

Golfwise
08-07-2005, 01:42 PM
Sometimes we forget that other places are flat whereas we have lots of hills in Tassie even our local race track has a whopper so torque to us is good. 8)

GoLfMan
08-07-2005, 02:08 PM
Sometimes we forget that other places are flat whereas we have lots of hills in Tassie even our local race track has a whopper so torque to us is good. 8)

i think torque is good fullstop!!!! you dont wanna always rev an engine to the stratosphere to reach its full potential.

finemk1
08-07-2005, 03:46 PM
measured mine up and there the 40mm ones with TB on the left side this has got me thinking in i want the 50mm one now but you say the 9a motors had the intake on the right side, do 50mm left side intake manifolds exsist?

the 50mm inlet car had less torque but revved harder and had much more power at the tope end

so using a 40mm intake and a lightweight crank pully and windage tray could result in the same top end revs as the 50mm thus keepin the low down torque of a 40mm?

black betty
08-07-2005, 05:50 PM
you can get 40mm and 50 mm inlets for both sides

throttle body mount on right side are generally found on scirroco 16v's in europe and us

most other models i.e. corrado, golf, ibiza and passat have throttle body mount on left hand side (as you face the engine from front of car)

scirroco inlets are usually more expensive (esp 50mm ones) as are used in 16v g60 conversions as well as mk 1 16v conversions

Golf Loon
09-07-2005, 12:01 AM
early kr (1.8 ) in the uk i have owned kr 1.8 with 50mm inlets and a 1991 passat 1.8 with 40mm inlets

the 50mm inlet car had less torque but revved harder and had much more power at the top end

So If I have a 2L with the 50mm inlet and a lightened flywheel, will that make it have more go from the offset?

I have a feeling its going to be largely psychological. Any 16v in a Mk1 will be a lot a fun and feel even faster than it is.

black betty
10-07-2005, 01:50 PM
i d go the 50mm ones

this can be a controversial area though

do a search for this topic on clubgti uk forums

a guy known as GVK has done the transfer on a 2.0 9a from 40 to 50mm

he always has it rolling roaded and results will be up there somewhere

good luck

VanKronenburg
10-07-2005, 08:21 PM
1.8 Inlets are the smaller ones whether left or right, whereas the 9a 2.0 is the bigger one.
Big is not always better and light flywheels are awful on road cars driving around the street.

The later KR and SEAT spec 1.8 16v Digi 2 ADL motors also came with a 50mm intake, so it wasn't just the 2.0s :D

VanKronenburg
10-07-2005, 08:24 PM
Also, you don't need the 'Rocco intake for plug lead clearance. I used a Saab 900 16v 90deg exit dizzy cap instead of the stocker and it cures any problems. There are a few others that fit but the Saab one is the only one I've tried personally.

10lb flywheel is a good compromise with an 02A, as is an 8lb with the 020.

roccodingo
11-07-2005, 03:38 AM
Inlets are 42 mm and 50 mm..have both left and right entry, the 50 mm scirocco ones are the hardest and most expensive to find...

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y140/roccodingo/16v50mminlet.jpg

42 mm ones are fairly easy to find in the states...

the KR I have here from a corrado has the right hand entry

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y140/roccodingo/16vrear.jpg

again , if you want revs, go 50 mm, or torque...chose a 42 mm...

ausgolfer
15-07-2005, 03:16 PM
Black Betty is right. And for the record the mk3 and seat ABF motors use a 50mm manifold but it's not exactly the same as the KR one as they used a single throttle as apossed to the twin progressive on the mk2, corrado etc..
Fine mk1 the lightweight pulleys will give you a huge zero horse power increase. When you lighten your flywheel or pulleys it will make your engine rev up quicker(more responsive) when in nuetral. This is the same as fitting lightweight wheels to your car(same as lightening any part of the drivetrain). So on the dyno I'd expect to see a 1 hp difference or less as they only add a tiny bit to the parasitic power losses. Also as the pulleys are a fraction of the weight of the flywheel don't expect to see many gains, other than the etreme cool factor of having shiny cool pulleys.
Personally if I was building an all out motor I'd get a light flywheel and balance all the other parts as it's easier and cheaper to do that then lightening the pulleys for the same effect.

finemk1
15-07-2005, 03:40 PM
oh well it too late now, i have it in my pretty little hands now, so ill be chucking it on anyway for the cool factor at the least,,,, just hope the freeking thing doesnt break....gulp! then u blokes will be laughing at me non stop, and ill keep the 42mm intake as im more keen to spend the bucks on my head and a full cage plus a few little secrets i have install for the little MK1 and dont ask cause there not finished yet.

ausgolfer
15-07-2005, 05:24 PM
He he nice one. Gotta have a few secrets up your sleve, and we can waste our time guessing. My guess is Nitrous oxide.

finemk1
02-08-2005, 08:04 PM
nah cant afford nos id be a bottle a week user to......but plans for a charger built by some bloke in the usa totally custom which claims to be defening when on boost and sounds like a jumbo jet in take off....cool hey but that is 5Gs with engine internals but without plumbing and stuff and min 300bhp

pray for a win on the horses!!

and is there Any 16v that dont leek oil, if yes do u know the weak spots/seals wher oil is most likely to come from, not sump gasket!, i was told by a well know vw mechanic! that its naturall for a 16v to leak oil, which is crap on a stick or trying to pass off a dodgy motor, ,ethier or..... do all 16v leak?

Golf Loon
02-08-2005, 10:30 PM
New gaskets all round torque everything to spec. It wont leak.

finemk1
16-08-2005, 07:00 PM
did that loon but i have found it, ,its the seal in the box my box is shat apon hard core due to neglect, so its leaking gear box oil not engine oil so my problem has taken another left turn, hopfully will get my hands on a seal/gasket kit for the box and go from there... yet again. the engine comes out.......

Golfwise
17-08-2005, 09:19 AM
Where is the box leaking oil.It might be the flange seals and can be done insitu.

finemk1
11-12-2005, 02:17 PM
ok im at the stage of putting my head back on but after mesuring the distance that the intake valves stick out when fully open is 8mm off the line of the skimed head. but the distance from the piston notch to the top of the head gasket line where the head will be measures only about 5.5-6 mm. is this normal and will it cause the valves to hit the pistons or will the valves be closing by the time the piston reaches the top?
any help or further knowledge would be suuuper

h100vw
12-12-2005, 07:35 AM
Don't forget that the inlet valves will be closing or closed as the pistons are rising. You should get away with a skim pretty easily.

I say build it up and time it right them rotate it by hand.

Gavin

Golf Loon
12-12-2005, 11:37 AM
You are supposed to turn it three times by hand, after you have timed it up. Shouldnt have to force it. If that works ok, bolt it up and hook her up!
Good luck. Hope you got the bearing caps on ok.

finemk1
12-12-2005, 03:38 PM
sound sgood fellas, thats what i was thinking as im sure its correct as it is, so ill be doing it on tuesday arfo, yeeeeeeeeeehaaaa