PDA

View Full Version : Sorting music albums?

Kesh
16-05-2014, 08:01 AM
Hey guys,

I have the CMS, is there any way to sort the music you put on an sd card by the typical artist, album and so on? Right now when I copy music, it just goes straight into one folder (as it would) and viewing it in the golf is like viewing a file browser, so it's hard to find the song I want when there's 1500 songs sitting in the same folder.

Any way I can sort them?

b c
16-05-2014, 09:31 AM
Haven't found a way to sort them, but the music on my SD Card is in a folder structure that is fairly extensive and allow me to (eventually) find what I want.

wasabiz
16-05-2014, 10:37 AM
I just sort my files according to artist names>album name> songs

Easier for me to browse through the songs. Kinda dangerous to do it if I'm driving tho

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

Kesh
16-05-2014, 06:22 PM
Yeah I have to do it manually which is annoying. Lack of playlists is a pain too. But I think they're trying to shift towards a bluetooth route, hence the lack of MDI on the MK7. I'm just not happy with bluetooth quality.

stedes
29-05-2014, 09:51 AM
Yeah I have to do it manually which is annoying. Lack of playlists is a pain too. But I think they're trying to shift towards a bluetooth route, hence the lack of MDI on the MK7. I'm just not happy with bluetooth quality.

Bluetooth streaming is an option that was requested a lot on the Mk5s and 6s and as more people have devices capable for it VW included it in the spec for the Mk7. They're not shifting anything in my opinion. Remember that the lack of MDI or the option of not offering MDI here is a choice by VW of Australia for the spec of the cars and not anything else. If you look at the configurators on sites like VW.DE or UK you will see that they get a whole host of options that we will (likely) never see. MDI is still available and indeed standard in many other parts of the world including Europe and the UK in addition to more advanced connections for the phone, an infotainment system with a larger screen (Discover Pro) etc. While I was disappointed with the lack of MDI (as I've had it before) I actually now prefer the current setup for the simple reason that my music can live on an SD card (in the glovebox) and the USB port in front of the gearshift is free to charge our phones. When I had the MDI previously I had an iPod classic connected to it and that lived in the glovebox never to be seen. I didn't really use the MDI for anything else. Also for me bluetooth streaming is just for when you either have someone else in the car who wants to play something (e.g. kids) or I want to use pandora/spotify etc off my phone. For me bluetooth streaming for a large music library wouldn't work.

Bluetooth won't work for everyone. I hear what you're saying about sound quality although with a later model of phone/device it should be pretty close to mp3/mp4 quality as the bluetooth stack really just streams the files to the car which then decodes the file in a similar way that it does when you're playing via USB stick or from an SD card. A2DP (the bluetooth streaming profile) supports mp3 and mp4/aac so it shouldn't actually make the sound quality any worse. If you're not happy with the quality from those formats then you need to move up to lossless files and the only way to play those would be through the Aux port with a portable player which is a huge compromise IMHO opinion as you lose any control from the touchscreen other than volume. Remember you're always in a car which, by definition, is a very compromised listening environment and, unless you've done upgrades, really basic quality hifi hardware (speakers/cables/headunit) compared to home hifi.

Like one of the other guys said, I think the best way to sort your music is in some kind of folder structure. When I previously used my iPod I almost always browsed by artist first and almost never browsed by album (I'm more likely to remember the Artist name rather than what the album is called). So I have folders for each artist (the system will "see" them alphabetically so you can do either first name or surname first) and then subfolders for each album with individual songs in those. Granted that would make looking for a particular song more difficult if you don't remember which album or artist it is by. If you're more into remembering the names of your albums rather than artists then you would just have one folder per album and browse by that instead.

Have a look at this guide which I found useful as it also explains how to get the album art working: VW Golf Mk7 – SD Cards and Album Art | Haydn Williams Blog (http://www.haydnwilliams.com/blog/vw-golf-mk7-sd-cards-and-album-art)

Hope this helps you...

Hooti3
29-05-2014, 10:13 AM
Best thing to do is import all your music to iTunes.

iTunes will create a library folder with all your music and separate it into folders for you according to Artist and subfolders containing individual albums.

Once that's done, just copy the contents of the iTunes folder onto an SD card.

Easy.

pologti18t
29-05-2014, 06:24 PM

iTunes will create a library folder with all your music and separate it into folders for you according to Artist and subfolders containing individual albums.

Easy.

Doesn't Media Player do that as well? And it doesn't tie you to iTunes

stedes
29-05-2014, 08:47 PM

Easy.

While that's easy just be aware of two things:

1. iTunes artwork doesn't always work on the Golf CMS/Discover Media. There are specific requirements for size that the Golf 'needs'

2. iTunes will encode again in whatever format you've told it too. That means that if you have an album as an mp3 (lossy) it will recode this to another lossy format such as mp4 (as you can't use lossless formats in the Golf) with much worse sound quality as a result.