PDA

View Full Version : Cracked Windscreen HELP

cougarmon
15-05-2014, 10:15 PM
Hey Guys,

Hoping someone will be able to give me some advice or an idea on how much a new a new windscreen (genuine). Got to my car this morning after driving it home last night and found a Massive crack down my windscreen from obviously something falling on it overnight as it wasn't there the night before when I got home as its right in the drivers view.

Is there anyone that works for VW or may have been a situation like this on a previous golf that will have an idea?

Anything is better nothing right now, the worst part is my insurance company won't cover it.
To make things even better, Ive had the car for only 3 weeks.

Hope to hear something soon.

Thanks
Matt.

singlespeed
15-05-2014, 11:24 PM
Why won't your insurance cover it? I would guess that an OEM windscreen will be quite expensive.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ohmang
15-05-2014, 11:42 PM
Windscreens are expensive. Wouldn't be surprised it it will cost up to $1000 for a genuine one. They are not just glass - they have all the sensors in them as well. This is why they cost so much.

Call windscreens obrien and see how much for both an original and an OEM. If it was me, I would fork out the extra for an original screen considering the age of your car..

Lesson learnt here is ALWAYS pay the extra $50 - 100 on the insurance policy to cover a screen. Guaranteed you will need to claim at least once every 10 years for repair / replacement. Pity it happened to you 3 weeks in.

Also when it is repaired, ask your insurance company if you can add a screen replacement onto your premium for this term just in case...

cougarmon
16-05-2014, 12:43 AM
Thanks for the help guys! We have it on my Scirocco but the lady organising our insurance with our insurance company put us on the wrong policy. Anyway I was concerned it was going to be over 2k so I can live with 1k.

But I will not put anything on but the glass that has come from VW

jdbrown1953
16-05-2014, 06:34 AM
Hey Guys,

Hoping someone will be able to give me some advice or an idea on how much a new a new windscreen (genuine). Got to my car this morning after driving it home last night and found a Massive crack down my windscreen from obviously something falling on it overnight as it wasn't there the night before when I got home as its right in the drivers view.

Is there anyone that works for VW or may have been a situation like this on a previous golf that will have an idea?

Anything is better nothing right now, the worst part is my insurance company won't cover it.
To make things even better, Ive had the car for only 3 weeks.

Hope to hear something soon.

Thanks
Matt.

A stone cracked my windscreen when I only had 4k on the clock. I was in the fortunate situation where I had no excess glass cover (I have a sun roof and bixenons). The insurance company agreed to replace with a genuine windscreen. The cost of the windscreen was $548 as quoted by my dealer plus the cost of fitting which took 20 minutes. So I would expect a total cost or around $750. BTW windscreens O'Brien did the job and not the dealer. Mirror, and all stickers (rego service etc) were transferred with no issues. Even rang me 2 days later to see if all was ok.

Mountainman
16-05-2014, 09:03 AM
Just had the front windscreen (truck - rock) and rear hatch window (mower - stone) replaced with genuine VW made in Germany stuff. The windscreen was covered by Suncorp insurance so couldn't find out price but I paid $598 for the hatch window.

VW Convert
16-05-2014, 11:31 AM
Just had the front windscreen (truck - rock) and rear hatch window (mower - stone) replaced with genuine VW made in Germany stuff.

Your nickname must be lucky! NOT. :-) A broken windscreen and a broken hatch window!

I reckon the OP should simply call his nearest VW dealer, I reckon the windscreen will cost less than he imagines.

Cheeers

George

cougarmon
16-05-2014, 11:35 PM
Hey Guys,

Just wanted to report back to everyone! The cost of the windscreen is $580 with an install price of $190 dollars these are all RRP prices but lucky enough I got it cheaper but these are the prices that VW will charge if you are ever in the same unfortunate situation as myself or mr luck (Mountainman)

Thanks to everyone who replied!

Cheers,
Matt

Mountainman
18-05-2014, 10:38 PM
Is that the price of the one with the rain sensor?

rpps
23-05-2014, 06:11 AM
I had a Kia Cerato Koup and the second week after I bought it I got into the car after it sitting in my driveway overnight and I noticed a big crack in the windscreen. It had me puzzled as the day before I hadn't been anywhere and nothing could have fallen onto the car. When I went into the Kia dealership they told me there was a fault with a batch of windscreens fitted to some cars, they replaced the windscreen under warranty much to my relief, it could be worth asking your dealership about the possibility of a faulty windscreen.