PDA

View Full Version : Carpet getting damp behind MK7 GTI drivers seat

bergerboy
13-05-2014, 05:05 AM
Hi Guys,

Wondering if anyone else has or is experiencing this problem.

I noticed yesterday that the car mat on the floor behind the drivers seat was very damp yesterday, this is the second time I have experienced this.

Anyone got any ideas?

Lemonskin
13-05-2014, 08:55 AM
Because when you drive the thing you get so excited you wet yourself.

These should do the trick...

Dutch77
13-05-2014, 09:08 AM
Oh geez, it's too early for that. Actually there is no good time to see that. ;)

To the OP: is it just the mat? or the floor itself?

DV52
13-05-2014, 09:10 AM
Hi Guys,

Wondering if anyone else has or is experiencing this problem.

I noticed yesterday that the car mat on the floor behind the drivers seat was very damp yesterday, this is the second time I have experienced this.

Anyone got any ideas?

bergerboy: I note that you are from Brisbane: Has it been raining much up there? If so, it might be a leak (possibly from the front window). Have you washed your car recently? If so, were any of the window's slightly open? Is the temperature gauge in the car sitting on 90 degrees, or is the level of the engine coolant sitting on the correct mark on the container (under the bonnet- measured when the engine is cold)? If not, it could be a leaky water hose clamp/heater switch?

Lemonskin: Thanks for leaving me with that mental image!! arghhh...................

readerr0r
13-05-2014, 09:51 AM
Was the car tinted? Maybe they didn't put the weather seal back on properly.

Sit in the car and have someone spray a hose on the window near the leak, see if you notice water coming in near the bottom of the doors.

bergerboy
13-05-2014, 08:39 PM
Hi Guys,

thanks for the replies.

I'd understand if it were a leak somewhere, however this is behind the drivers side seat on the floor so the rear passengers seat, it is only isolated to this area, no where else.

It's both the rear mat and the carpet.

P.S. thanks Lemonskin for the lovely photo :)

Dutch77
13-05-2014, 09:18 PM
Has this occurred during rain, driving over water or any wash, or is it getting damp in otherwise entirely dry conditions?

If the latter then (somehow) it must be car related?

readerr0r
13-05-2014, 09:53 PM
Hi Guys,

thanks for the replies.

I'd understand if it were a leak somewhere, however this is behind the drivers side seat on the floor so the rear passengers seat, it is only isolated to this area, no where else.

It's both the rear mat and the carpet.

P.S. thanks Lemonskin for the lovely photo :)

The way the floors are sloped and whatnot it will pool there, not near the doors. Same thing happened to my mothers car (not a Golf/VW though). I say check the rear door, see if its damp around the scuff plates at the bottom of the door.

bergerboy
14-05-2014, 06:50 AM
Hi Guys,

I happened when it was a dry day a well.

Dutch77
14-05-2014, 07:13 AM
Very strange - unlikely to be a door seal issue then, but for giggles you could still try hosing around the door and seeing if anything happens inside.

I'd be going back to the dealer either way and showing them the wet spot as that will eventually be moulding up and doing other internal damage.

Have you been running the A/C? Have you checked if water is dripping under the car - this could be a culprit if something is blocked or leaking internally as well.

Idle
14-05-2014, 11:35 AM
Leak in the line to the rear window washer?

finepics
14-05-2014, 12:14 PM
There is a known issue with the AC drain pipe leaking inside the car and another issue with the rear washer jet leaking.

VW investigating Golf water leak discovered by car magazine - Autoblog (http://www.autoblog.com/2013/09/07/vw-investigating-golf-water-leak-discovered-by-car-magazine/)

bergerboy
15-05-2014, 05:30 AM
Thanks guys for the feedback

I'm thinking it must be something to do with the Air conditioning.

I'm driving past the dealer today so will take it in and get them to check it out.

MGV
15-05-2014, 06:31 AM
Be interested in your (or their) findings... My Tiguan has let a little water in maybe 6 times in 4 years. When parked in heavy rain & leaning to the left, or hosing off after a wash, a little water is allowed through small (~15mm) gaps at the front & rear of the rubber weather seal at the base of the side window. The water trickles through the inside of the door to a couple of small drain holes at the base of the door on the inside & somehow makes it's way (capillary attraction?) over the sill & onto my rubber floor mat...

theBRUCEofWAYNE
15-05-2014, 09:27 AM
Do you have a sunroof? I've left mine open when it rained and consequently the water had nowhere to drain, other than to the bottom floor where it pooled up behind my passenger seat. Unless you dry it yourself, the underlay will remain wet for a few weeks at the least. Good luck

Sent from the Batcave

finepics
15-05-2014, 10:36 AM
Be interested in your (or their) findings... My Tiguan has let a little water in maybe 6 times in 4 years. When parked in heavy rain & leaning to the left, or hosing off after a wash, a little water is allowed through small (~15mm) gaps at the front & rear of the rubber weather seal at the base of the side window. The water trickles through the inside of the door to a couple of small drain holes at the base of the door on the inside & somehow makes it's way (capillary attraction?) over the sill & onto my rubber floor mat...

that reminds me of something else I read about the door drain holes sometimes being blocked by sealant and the advice was to poke them with something not metal so as to not damage the paint.