PDA

View Full Version : just signed up for 1st track event

NGOLF.U
25-10-2007, 10:51 PM
signed up for Sandown November 6th.

This is my 1st track event.. got some nerves already!!

still prepping up my car... i need to find a bonnet strap to pass inspection!!! no1 knows what im talking about i.e repco / autobarn...

anyone done a sandown run before and can give some advice??

also the event is still only half full so come and join me

cheers frankee

DaveMack
26-10-2007, 12:03 AM
Good luck, Mate ... hope it goes well.

Dave

KI11Z
26-10-2007, 05:57 AM
Awsome!! should be loadsa fun!! and about your bonnet strap, i'm pretty sure it can just be a piece of rope attached to the radiator support and a zip-tie to loop through it and the bonnet; if your factory latch for some random reason fails and releases the hood then your trusty piece of rope and zippy will prevent it from slamming your windscreen :D

Flick "quozl" a pm if you'd like to know more as he owns a mk4 R32 and is race prepped big time! yummy ;) . . . .

NGOLF.U
26-10-2007, 07:59 AM
thanks boys! should be fun

quozl
26-10-2007, 11:29 AM

still prepping up my car... i need to find a bonnet strap to pass inspection!!! no1 knows what im talking about i.e repco / autobarn...

cheers frankee

Rope or cable ties won't cut it you will be knocked back by the scrutineer, some people use an old leather belt but the best one we have found is the stainless steel wire they use on sail boats with a sail clip on them. Sherrin Motorsport here in Brisbane sell them just call and ask for Tim (07) 3268 0300 and I am sure they would be happy to express post one down to you. When your not using it it just clips to the oil dip stick. Pics below if you have any more questions just ask,

Cheers Al

http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2007/10/BonnetStrap001-1.jpg
http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2007/10/BonnetStrap003-1.jpg
http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2007/10/BonnetStrap004-1.jpg
http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2007/10/BonnetStrap005-1.jpg

99gti
26-10-2007, 11:43 AM
Good luck Frankee! I'd love to come but my car is far from track ready. I'd kill a set of tyres in a day easily with my current suspension setup or lack of....

Tim
26-10-2007, 11:48 AM
revolution racegear sell one i think as well. But yeah most people i have seen attach a leather strap somewhere

GT3
26-10-2007, 12:08 PM
...the stainless steel wire they use on sail boats with a sail clip on them.

is that sail clip then attached to the bonnet latch/hook? if it is, not sure the bonnet would close with it on. can you confirm?

velly_16v_cab
26-10-2007, 12:09 PM
i may pop down to this if my wife is working that day.

will be great to have that track day felling again, i will bring the cam to get some pics :)

gtimk5
26-10-2007, 12:20 PM
Good luck Frankee. Fire extinguisher, steel valve caps and a blue battery triangle are usually requred too. I have used a belt on my road cars for track days, just have to hold my trousers up during the day!! :D
Andrew :)

quozl
26-10-2007, 12:20 PM
is that sail clip then attached to the bonnet latch/hook? if it is, not sure the bonnet would close with it on. can you confirm?

Yes it is then connected to the bonnet latch/hook. as in the first picture, and yes it closes perfectly.

Cheers Al

GT3
26-10-2007, 12:31 PM
yes it closes perfectly.

fair enough - I think it would damage the securing mechanism (in my case, can't speak for others) that locks the latch in place once its closed.

quozl
26-10-2007, 12:42 PM
fair enough - I think it would damage the securing mechanism (in my case, can't speak for others) that locks the latch in place once its closed.

I've used this system for two years now and it does no damage to the securing mechanism in any way. It is also used on various other VW's, BMW's, Porsche's etc etc etc all with no damage, Sherrin motorsport use it on all thier Cup cars, Mini's cup cars and most customer cars use it all with no damage. It doesn't come any where near the securing mechanism at all when the bonnet is closed.

Cheers Al

Water Boy
26-10-2007, 04:07 PM
Who's running the event and is it a 95db event???

rayray086
26-10-2007, 04:12 PM
Have fun on the track mate, bring someone along with ya so they can take pics!

KI11Z
27-10-2007, 02:21 AM
j: I stand corrected!! my bad! :( . . . . good luck!

NGOLF.U
29-10-2007, 09:05 AM
thanks for the advice boys...im getting all the stickers done this week ( batt, tow, contact on all forward facing glass.) fire extinguisher is on the way.

i just picked it up from my suspension guy and we have raised the car i little, corner balanced it with me in the car. stiffend it up a little and now all ready to roll...

holden and ford are holding the event.
this is the form if you want to join.
http://www.holdenclub.com/FFCC%206%20Nov%2007.doc

i have a few boys coming down to watch and film, along with my mechanic who is also racing that day too..

should be fun... pretty nervous!!

qsilverza
29-10-2007, 10:43 AM
Sandown is a fun track. You really make up the time on the back half of the track, where the track bends and slopes to the right with a tight 90 to the left of a very fast run. You have to keep your foot down on the bending curve otherwise you will be slow... Like me :):)

Watch the oil temps and remember the warm up/warm down laps, dont pull out of the pits like an idiot because everything has to warm/warm down (Heat-soak).

What are they asking for the day ? Pity I am up the GOR otherwise I would come along.

Have fun !

NGOLF.U
29-10-2007, 11:34 AM
the day is $140

vwthunder
03-11-2007, 10:31 AM
Thought I might come and watch

Should be good

NGOLF.U
04-11-2007, 10:18 PM
guys i have cancelled untill further notice.
my girlfriend was rushed to hospital friday afternoon. been there since then.

i will race depending on her status.

rayray086
04-11-2007, 10:41 PM
Sad to hear mate, but hopefully she will get well soon.

DaveMack
04-11-2007, 11:20 PM
Best of luck to your GF, mate. Hope she's well again soon.

Dave

vanilla5
10-12-2007, 09:33 PM

cheers frankee

do you need a bonnet strap. the regulation usually need two bonnet securing devices. one is the release handle in the cabin and the second is the bonnet release under the actual bonnet

quozl
11-12-2007, 01:18 AM
do you need a bonnet strap. the regulation usually need two bonnet securing devices. one is the release handle in the cabin and the second is the bonnet release under the actual bonnet

Yes you need a bonnet strap. They do not consider the release handle to be a separate securing device.

Cheers Al