PDA

View Full Version : Help!! MK3 VR6 Aftermarket speakers

tassie_euro_mk1
25-10-2007, 07:35 PM
hey guys.

I need some help please.
I got some brand new 6 1/2" Alpine Type R coxial speakers for the VR6.
Installed them tonight and the sound was distorted. Notice on the speaker box saying that if you have OEM tweetersyou have to disconnect em. OHHH i thought. So i disconnected em. Then there was no sound. So i checked out the bently manual wiring diagram for the stereo, joined the wires of the OEM tweeters together so they bypassed the tweeters. left the tweeters unplugged. There was sound but it was distorted like the first time I tried it.

What should I do??

Tim
25-10-2007, 07:40 PM
from memory VW in their infinate wisdom wired up the woofers in the door via the tweeters which have an inbuilt resistor.
When i put my MB quarts in i had to wire direct from the head unit to the crossover. and then from the crossover to the doors and up to the tweeter seperately.

Id jsut wire yours from scratch. would probly be easier.

tassie_euro_mk1
25-10-2007, 07:52 PM
I thought I was completely bypassign the tweeters when i bridged the wires together.

Soundofav6
25-10-2007, 08:21 PM
Tims right, the factory wires the woofer via the tweeter.

Not sure if this would help.
Currently my diagram is..

Headunit --> OEM tweeter --> cross over --> (aftermarket) woofer and tweeter.

Therefore I am running 2 set of tweeters an no problems. BUT if I unplug the OEM tweeter, the aftermarket setup does not work at all !!!

Make sure the woofer connects to woofer and tweeter to tweeter on the crossover, I had that wrong and the sound was really soft and distorted at the woofer. GOOD LUCK

BlackVr6ix
26-10-2007, 08:44 AM
the tweeter acts as a bridge for the woofer wiring, the only "crossover" in the tweeter is a capacitor filter for the tweeter.

I dont see how re-joining the plugs as if they were plugged directly into each other would not work.

Also the only distortion you "should" hear after installing your speakers the way you did originally "should" have been your factory tweeter.

ScienceVR6
26-10-2007, 03:06 PM
How loud have you got the stereo when this distortion apears? I take it you dont have an amp.

tassie_euro_mk1
26-10-2007, 05:10 PM
I dont see how re-joining the plugs as if they were plugged directly into each other would not work.

Thats exactly what I thought. Thats why im confused.

How loud have you got the stereo when this distortion apears? I take it you dont have an amp.

The stereo isnt any louder than when I had the OEM woofers in. In fact the OEM speakers work even better then the alpines currently. Thats is strange.
No I dont have an amp. I didnt think I needed one. Theyre not Super Dooper speakers.

Tim
26-10-2007, 05:16 PM
do your factory woofers distort if you plug them back into that same way the alpines are distorting from?

tassie_euro_mk1
26-10-2007, 05:28 PM
I dont know. I havnt tried that yet. Wont be able to try it tonight or 2moro tho. Im not using the speakers for the time being. What are the chances of the speakers being faulty?

Not likely? lol

Tim
26-10-2007, 05:37 PM
Im more thinking along the lines of just proving whether your wiring is good or not.
If they still distort then the wiring is the prob.

Soundofav6
26-10-2007, 06:27 PM
I dont know. I havnt tried that yet. Wont be able to try it tonight or 2moro tho. Im not using the speakers for the time being. What are the chances of the speakers being faulty?

Not likely? lol

Even try plugging in them to the rear, even other stero at home get them tested out.

KI11Z
27-10-2007, 02:16 AM
me thinks you should def get an amp! you'll be suprised how much better they'll perform; should sort out the distortion since you'll run all new wires from the amp . . . :???:

99gti
27-10-2007, 08:07 AM
To get 2 faulty speakers you would have to be the worlds must un-lucky person....