PDA

View Full Version : Skoda Rapid

pologti18t
07-05-2014, 08:03 PM
2014 Skoda Rapid Spaceback : Pricing and Specifications | CarAdvice (http://www.caradvice.com.au/284321/2014-skoda-rapid-spaceback-pricing-and-specifications/)

Skoda Rapid 77TSI Ambition manual: $18,990
Skoda Rapid 90TSI Ambition DSG: $21,890
Skoda Rapid 90TSI Elegance DSG: $23,750

2014 Skoda Rapid Spaceback features, model by model:

77TSI Ambition
1.2-litre turbocharged four-cylinder engine
Six-speed manual transmission
Six airbags
Electronic stability control
ISOFIX child seat anchor points (outer rear seats)
Bluetooth phone and audio streaming
16-inch alloy wheels
Cruise control
USB and media input
Leather-wrapped steering wheel, handbrake and gearknob
‘Swing’ radio system (not touch screen)

90TSI Ambition
As above, with:
1.4-litre turbocharged four-cylinder engine
Seven-speed dual-clutch automatic transmission

90TSI Elegance:
As above, with:
17-inch Camelot wheels
Rear parking sensors
Climate control air-conditioning
Tinted glass
Auto headlights
Auto wipers
Cornering front fog-lights

The Czech-made hatchback can be optioned with a Style Pack that costs $2100 on the Ambition grade and $1800 on the top-spec Elegance. It includes 17-inch alloy wheels, a full-glass panoramic roof and glass tailgate, darkened tail-lights, blackened fog-light housings and black mirror caps.

There’s also a Sports Pack that can be optioned in addition to the Style Pack (as seen on the car in these images) or on its own. It costs $1600 for the Ambition variant and $1000 for the Elegance model (or $1400 for the Ambition and $1000 for the Elegance if the Style Pack is already fitted), and includes xenon headlights, front sport seats, rear parking sensors, a double-sided boot floor mat, tinted glass and stainless steel pedals

team_v
07-05-2014, 11:05 PM
And they go ahead and put the stupid DSG in any model except the base one, after realising that people didn't want it in the polo gti.......

Sharkie
08-05-2014, 01:48 PM
And they go ahead and put the stupid DSG in any model except the base one, after realising that people didn't want it in the polo gti.......

I'm with you Clay ..... how dumb can their product people be!!!!! OMG I have given up with VWA (and I incl Skoda in that).

I wanted a small sedan with lots of goodies, a petrol engine (90TSI please) and a MANUAL gearbox. Went ahead and bought new elsewhere from another manufacturer as I got an early whiff of this model set-up. Pity as the Rapid looks good and was on my shortlist.

pologti18t
09-05-2014, 03:07 PM
The 90tsi doesn't come with a manual ANYWHERE. So there is your answer.

Mountainman
09-05-2014, 10:40 PM
The 90tsi doesn't come with a manual ANYWHERE. So there is your answer.
? My 90 TSI does.

pologti18t
11-05-2014, 02:32 PM
? My 90 TSI does.

We aren't talking about a Golf though.

aware
03-07-2014, 09:53 PM
I test drove a 90TSI Ambition on Sunday. Not a bad package actually - current pricing makes them a good buy. It drove fairly well, 90TSI is a decent engine. DSG worked well, but I felt that the DSG in the TSI required a different driving style to the TDI in our Superb (or maybe it was just the charctristic of Petrol v Diesel). I wouldn't choose the Style pack myself, as I don't want the glass roof, but was going to go for the Elegance and the Sports Pack (Xenons etc).

I didn't buy, and have decided not to buy now - purely because I have done 2,200km since Jnauary (work in the City and commute on public transport, and Uni is only 10kms away when in session) and honestly couldn't justify replacing my current car. For the money it is a very good package. Didn't even intend on test driving as we were at the dealer to look at another Superb and cross shop with the Audi dealer on site, but thought it was worth a test drive at the very least. If Skoda can pull customers in away from the likes of a Cruze etc, it has the potential to do well. Will it steal sales from Golf? Probably not. I also test drove a 90TSI Golf on the same day, and in all honesty, if I were to change my Forester now, I'd probably sacrifice the bells and whistles of the Rapid for the base Golf. It felt slightly more polished than the Rapid.

Mountainman
03-07-2014, 11:57 PM
If you look at the specs the Rapid is running on the old platform, not the new MQB platform of the Mk7 Golf and still runs the old range of 1.2 & 1.4 engines of the Mk6 Golf, not the new alloy long stroke TSI engines of the Mk7 Golf with their better torque spread and better fuel consumption. Look at what you get in a base Mk7 Golf for $21490 (or $22990 driveaway) and the only reason the Rapid could sell is on price. You'll certainly be getting an inferior car for it. Even the updated Polo is getting the new range of TSI engines, touch screen, instruments and steering wheel from the Golf. I still like the Rapid's looks, size and specs though. Nicer than the Fabia and can see it appealing to a Skoda fan.

aware
06-07-2014, 10:15 PM
If you look at the specs the Rapid is running on the old platform, not the new MQB platform of the Mk7 Golf and still runs the old range of 1.2 & 1.4 engines of the Mk6 Golf, not the new alloy long stroke TSI engines of the Mk7 Golf with their better torque spread and better fuel consumption. Look at what you get in a base Mk7 Golf for $21490 (or $22990 driveaway) and the only reason the Rapid could sell is on price. You'll certainly be getting an inferior car for it. Even the updated Polo is getting the new range of TSI engines, touch screen, instruments and steering wheel from the Golf. I still like the Rapid's looks, size and specs though. Nicer than the Fabia and can see it appealing to a Skoda fan.

That promo has finished for the Golf, however all other points are valid. I found after test driving the Golf it was the better all round package. As a Skoda fan, even I'd pick the Golf.

rabbitz
03-10-2014, 09:41 AM
Has anyone bought a Rapid and if so what are your impressions, particularly in the ride and noise? I'm looking at moving from a 6R Polo. I feel the Rapid is bit more low rent inside but the vision and space inside makes up for this and is the main reason I'd be buying.

pologti18t
06-10-2014, 01:40 AM
Skoda Rapid v Kia Cerato : Comparison review | CarAdvice (http://www.caradvice.com.au/310727/skoda-rapid-v-kia-cerato-comparison-review/)

which model would you get?

the review says its noisier than a Kia Cerato.

Skoda Rapid Spaceback 2013 review - CarBuyer - YouTube (http://youtu.be/FzxlF0IWDCg)

brad
06-10-2014, 06:23 AM
PArking test was stupid and near where I used to live. Wasn't the car, it was the driver. Stupid inner-city hipsters.

Kia is now 7 year unlimited KM warranty wit 7 years roadside assist which is quite compelling

Transporter
06-10-2014, 07:29 AM
Kia is now 7 year unlimited KM warranty wit 7 years roadside assist which is quite compelling

...and it sounds desperate. My neighbour has 2012 Cerato and I've replaced the rear brake pads for him, what a badly designed set up of the rear brake hoses and the brake callipers.

IMO, the Hyundai and Kia are very low tech cars, where the emphasis are on outside looks and not much else. They can only compete on price. But hey, that's only how I see them. :P

Johnbu
06-10-2014, 08:14 AM
May be desperate, but at least shows confidence in the product.

I can see it appealing to a lot of non car people

brad
06-10-2014, 08:35 AM
...and it sounds desperate. My neighbour has 2012 Cerato and I've replaced the rear brake pads for him, what a badly designed set up of the rear brake hoses and the brake callipers.

IMO, the Hyundai and Kia are very low tech cars, where the emphasis are on outside looks and not much else. They can only compete on price. But hey, that's only how I see them. :P

Your assessment is probably close to the mark but for non-car people that just want trouble-free motoring & no surprises the marketing is appealing.

My circle of friends have their kids at an age where they are buying cars (usually with a major subsidy from parents). Kia Rio (??? The little one) has been the choice by many of them. Brand new with (what was then) 5 yr warranty. 15k/12m capped price service. 6 airbags. ABS, ESP, bluetooth & iPod compatibility.

A mate got one for his daughter & got significant change out of $14k.

woofy
07-10-2014, 10:16 AM
I have a 2011 Santa Fe, compared to Mazdas especially, they are still a long way, but the following model closed the gap. The diesel and gearbox in it were all new designed by ex Euro engineers from the VAG and other marques. Those bits were why I got it. Otherwise it's a reasonable car, but there are little niggles here and there which Hyundai service guys just say you have to accept.

rabbitz
08-10-2014, 06:02 PM
I went for a test drive in a Rapid Elegance with the style and sport packs. The ride is too harsh for me as every bump was heard and felt plus set off rattles in the car. I don't think the 17" wheels with 40 aspect tyres helped. The engine noise etc was fine. The interior is a big step backwards from the Polo and surprised to see a seat lever back rest adjustment instead of a wheel.

zed50
29-12-2014, 04:57 PM
I have ordered a rapid spaceback 90 with style pack. Didn't notice a harsh ride but then I'm coming from a tradie ute. Lots of legroom and headroom in the back for adult passengers was the big selling point for me.

bluey
04-02-2015, 12:04 AM
I would have gotten a Rapid over a Polo on the basis of space and value for money. But other family members prefer the smaller shopping trolley and the more powerful engine with manual transmission.

I suspect VWA is going with the numbers, since buyers in the main worldwide prefer auto transmissions. I guess that fits with all the other "auto" gadgets in modern cars - lights, wipers, dipping mirrors, hill start, braking, etc. The VAG DSGs (assuming bug-free) are speedier and more efficient that manuals. I have rented a few DSGs in recent years and have been impressed that the gear selection is as good as I'd want to do manually.

I am very confident of the build quality of the Czech-built Skodas (see notes on the Skoda factory tour in the Yeti thread). Will be interested to suss out how our coming Polo compares.

BTW, I really like seat lever backrest adjustments, since they are speedy to move around esp to recline or carry bigger things. Historically, such seats have grown up in 2/3 door cars to let the rear seat passengers in/out.

sdabel
20-05-2018, 08:34 PM
We have a Rapid as a second car, totally under rated, lots of room, comfortable and all the safety gear. Not sure why Skoda Australia have such a problem selling them.

HPRS230
23-05-2018, 02:16 PM
We have a Rapid as a second car, totally under rated, lots of room, comfortable and all the safety gear. Not sure why Skoda Australia have such a problem selling them.

Had one as a Loaner while RS was getting serviced, the Misses Loved it and said when we need a 2nd car, a Rapid would be good.
It was a MC wagon, same Steel grey as our RS, was like a mini me lol

VR28LT
16-06-2018, 11:24 PM

probably because the mk7.5 base model offers so much more for the same kind of coin on driveaway promotion.... we looked at the Rapid but the mk7.5 base 6sp man just blew it out of the water when it came to build quality, dynamics, standard equipment and the 110kw 1.4t vs the Rapids 90kw not to mention they are dsg only now

sdabel
17-06-2018, 08:41 PM
Just had a look at current prices and you have a good point. When we got ours there was a significant price saving on the Rapid. Interesting to know if anyone pays retail for Rapids now.