PDA

View Full Version : Rattling noise - not related to wastegate clip

ameel
06-05-2014, 03:01 PM
So I have a 90tsi confortline. I noticed rattling noise from about 2k mileage that occurs on and off at the front on the driver side.

The noise cannot be reproduced as it is intermittent, of uncertain origin and there does not seem to be any particular trigger to it.

I reported and got the car checked by dealership twice but they could not identify or reproduce the sound. First time they put Wastegate clip as "this" was a known issue. Second time they "tightened the bolts".

Noise persisted.

I Moved interstate meanwhile and got a different authorised vw servicing to look into it. Same problem in that they could not identify or reproduce.

I then complained to vw Australia and was referred to alternative authorised vw servicing for extensive testing. I Went for a ride over hour and the noise finally manifested. The technician to note, although it wasn't as loud as usual on that occasion and lasted just a few seconds, but good enough.

The Authorised servicing vw performed their investigations etc but could not identify the cause or fix the problem as it wasn't a usual issue. They referred problem to vw Australia and were advised to try some steps.

They effectively took apart and insulated the fuel pipeline and after extensive testing concluded that definitely fixed all problem. (about 300km of testing altogether on a 6000km car)

I got car back, drove 2 km out and noise occured again, but this time softer. I think the solution they got worth the insulation is on the right track but still needs work.

I dropped car off again and waiting for their further investigation.

Any similar issues or ideas anyone?

Sent from my C6603 using Tapatalk

FTO
07-05-2014, 12:20 PM
Does it sound like its near or behind the outer right air vents etc. and does it sound like a cap in a coke battle rattle? If so, I may have the same sound. I told my dealer about it, and they said to come back at the free 6 month scheduled check up...

but some days its there, and others its gone.

ameel
07-05-2014, 12:30 PM
I wouldn't wait that long if I was you.

Mine comes from near the corner of front driver side. Another way to describe the sound is like the frame of the car is creaking under pressure but from the one specific place and for a sustained proud of time when it happens. Sometimes loud sometimes soft.

Call up vw Australia and report it so that if this is a problem that is only identified afterwards you're still covered under warranty even if you're out of it.

GTI_PAPA
07-05-2014, 09:03 PM
Hey Ameel,

Just thought I'd offer my 2 cents on a similar experience I had with with my Polo GTi. Intermittent rattle, sometimes there always, sometimes not etc. I had it back to VW at least 5 times where they misdiagnosed it 5 times, even completely replaced DS door window internals to no avail. They confirmed the noise was present, but refused to continue as they had exhausted all avenues. After the final visit, where they held onto the car for 3 days and said it was sorted, I drove off and it was still there.

Long story short, I did some investigating myself and found it was the lower spring loaded hinge to be the culprit. I could replicate it when hitting door sill with door open on first stop. Other 2 clicks/stops and wide open no noise. I didn't want to waste time with going back to the experts to fix, when a $1.20 rubber stopper from clark rubber stuck to the lower inner door sill, in front of the before mentioned hinge, which was just thick enough the compress upon closing sorted it instantly. Been rattle free ever since.

ameel
08-05-2014, 11:16 AM
Hi GTI_PAPA thanks for the tip. I'll look into that if it's still not fixed.