PDA

View Full Version : knocking up front any help ?

antinora
19-05-2006, 03:50 PM
hey

driving home this arvo and i could hear a constant knockknocknocknock when braking or lifting of gas......any help with what it could be ? ?

guys off another forum said it could be the struts or cv joints,, are these easy to fix/replace??

Golf Loon
19-05-2006, 03:52 PM
More info needed. Could be front engine mount, or suspension tops, or cvs.

When does it do it and is it rhythmic, or just a click when braking or acellerating?

antinora
19-05-2006, 04:10 PM
first it was a single knock when i was braking at lower speeds.......today it was a continous knock..(repetetive) when braking and when completly off the gas and just rolling ?

any help....

and im looking to replace shocks aswell all round...any help on cost ?

worm
19-05-2006, 04:35 PM
Doesnt sound like cv's as they knock when the car changes direction/speed..... if it does it when ur rolling it may well be engine mounts.

Suspension is a hard one to put a price on... if u want adjustable suspension that will handle great then around the 2G mark, standard will be a little cheaper... if ur on a budget I would say second hand.... the more u want to spend the better product u can get

gtimk5
19-05-2006, 05:26 PM
Checked your wheel bolts and 30m/m hub nuts? :D :D

16valvertwin45s
19-05-2006, 06:39 PM
Doesnt sound like cv's as they knock when the car changes direction/speed..... if it does it when ur rolling it may well be engine mounts.

Suspension is a hard one to put a price on... if u want adjustable suspension that will handle great then around the 2G mark, standard will be a little cheaper... if ur on a budget I would say second hand.... the more u want to spend the better product u can get

S/H suspension?
no thankyou

gldgti
19-05-2006, 09:03 PM
sorry but i gotta put it my 2 cents worth here about suspension...

okay, if you want some fancy pants race engineered suspension, go spend 2g's on it.... if you have a pocket full of spare money.

some decen springs and new but ok shocks are all that is "needed" to make a golf handle extremely well.

sorry thats all there is to it.

if you look around, you might find some decent sachs or boge shocks for around the $500 front and back... invest in some king springs ~$350

standard springs dont quite have the firmness needed for spirirted driving...

Golf Loon
19-05-2006, 09:33 PM
There were some spax lowering springs on ebay that didnt get sold $150 I think was the reserve, 40mm drop.

gldgti
19-05-2006, 09:36 PM
oh yeah.. also, the knocking...

sorry, no idea, haha

actually mine does it under hard accelleration (low speed, letting out clutch)

im waiting for everyone to say my cv joints are shot...

am i right?

gldgti
19-05-2006, 09:37 PM
just for interest sake... cv joint prices?

Golfwise
19-05-2006, 10:27 PM
Not enuf info could be a myriad of things.Get a mechanic to diagnose it.

antinora
19-05-2006, 10:34 PM
can someone explain the problem around engine mounts whats that all about ?

syncro
19-05-2006, 11:03 PM
Engine mounts sag, engine moves under acceleration and braking, exhaust hits on body.

antinora
19-05-2006, 11:19 PM
big job to fix ..?? easy to get parts?

what about fixing the cv joints and ball joints.....? price ? avaliability of parts? thanks

imported_brackie
20-05-2006, 06:59 AM
You obviously want to fix it yourself and it's good that you're asking our members for advice. Knocking can be difficult to diagnose as you can't be under the bonnet and driving at the same time. Getting it on a hoist would be useful as you can see so much more, but car ramps may help.

Things to look for:
* Check the exhaust brackets and hangers. See if they are damaged/loose/missing. The exhaust moves a lot during accelerating (especially if your engine mounts are cactus) and will foul the body producing a knocking noise.
* Damaged rubber bushings in suspension joints.
* Flogged out engine mounts. With the engine idling get a pry bar or a big screwdriver and put it between the metal parts of the mounts. Lever and see if there is excessive play or when leverage is applied the knocking can be heard.
* CV joints. Check the boots for splitting. You will see large amounts of grease on the suspension components and drive shaft if it's bad. Jack up the front wheels and check for play. Grab the drive shafts and check for play.

If none of these tests give you a result then do what Golfwise suggested and get professional advice. Most VW mechanics recognise an enthusiast and as long as you don't take up too much of their time will be happy to diagnose for you.

Golf Loon
20-05-2006, 10:15 AM
Also lift the bonnet and then just move the car a little on and off the clutch. This will move the engine and let you see if there is too much free play. When the mounts are shot, you can see and hear it move an inch or so.

antinora
20-05-2006, 10:57 AM
you guys will never believe it/..loose wheels nuts!.......cant hear the constant knocking..

but i can hear a single knock when slowing down and braking lightly

mollins
20-05-2006, 11:34 AM
never... never.... NEVER trust the tyre place to do up the nuts properly. they are so crud sometimes...

imported_brackie
20-05-2006, 12:28 PM
Good that you sorted it...And a cheap fix too! I agree with Mollins about tyre fitters. I always take my wheel brace out when they've put wheels back on the car to:
1. make sure they are done up tight enough
2. make sure the impact wrench setting wasn't too high and I can get them off again!

gtimk5
20-05-2006, 05:47 PM
Aha! there you go!. I always nip up the bolts with a proper socket and wrengh on all cars so that 1 they aren't loose and 2, I dont want an irate customer ringing me at whatever hour asking me to come to where ever to loosen there over tight wheel nuts! Lose customers very quickly either way, loose or overtight. The symptoms that you initially described sounded like loose nuts, the Golfs anyway! :D :D :o :lol: