PDA

View Full Version : Suspension clunking noise rear end.

rpps
04-05-2014, 06:33 AM
I have a Golf TSI and it's almost a year old now a great little car but one thing that is annoying me when going slow over rough bitumen or speed humps is a clunking noise in the rear end of the car. This sounds like loose shock absorber rubber mounts but when I had my car serviced at 15,000klm the service guy said they retentioned all suspension mounts. I looked under the rear of the car and noticed there's a flat metal heat shield that fits between the exhaust and the bottom of the boot, when I hit this it sounds pretty loose. Has anyone else noticed this noise in the rear end of their car.

Dazvw
21-05-2014, 08:40 PM
Hi, I have a golf7 90tsi same issue, can't find anything loose at all, noise us like old fashioned axle tramp over broken bitumen or speed bumps...anyone out there got some ideas as it's annoying I agree...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rpps
22-05-2014, 07:03 AM
Hi, I have a golf7 90tsi same issue, can't find anything loose at all, noise us like old fashioned axle tramp over broken bitumen or speed bumps...anyone out there got some ideas as it's annoying I agree...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I have just been reading on this forum in the UK and a lot of members are reporting the same problem, so hopefully a fix might come out of Germany for it.Rear suspension noise? - Page 10 (http://www.vwaudiforum.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?146830-Rear-suspension-noise/page10)
I have also noticed that there is a heat shield situated above the muffler and this is quiet loose and rattles if you knock on it, I would be interested if you have noticed this.
I went into my local dealer yesterday and the car has to go in on Friday to have software updated for the Auto Braking system and I asked the service manager to come for a test drive so I can point out this issue with the noisy rear suspension.
It sounds like an old Holden with worn shock absorber mounts.

pnes_nv
22-05-2014, 02:45 PM
Hi,.

To begin…..I really want to love this car and I genuinely hope the suspension issue highlighted in this thread is not considered inherent in its normal operation.

Here’s my take on things. My TSi90 Mk7 is less that 3 months old and only travelled 5500K’s (used for work). From day 1, I was concerned about the front and rear rumbles/clunks, plus the general harshness of the ride. I initially put the issues down to the possibility that the suspension was new and maybe a bit stiff. Unfortunately there has been no improvement. Although the front suspension makes a similar noise, it’s nowhere near as noticeable as the noise from the rear end, but I put this down to better sound insulation at the front of the vehicle. I have lowered the tyre pressures (F32 & R30) in an attempt to get a little more suppleness into the ride. Although this made a very marginal difference, the ride comfort is still less than ordinary and does tend to crash over larger bumps and ruts (especially the rear).

The actual noise is similar to crossing over an old wooden bridge (not quite as noisy though) and as stated by another poster, very similar to riding in a vehicle with worn shock absorbers.The road surface does not have to be super bad. Even small, tight undulations (manhole covers, minor road repairs…etc) in the road surface seem to push the suspension out of its depth and into the rumbles. Last week I even had a female passenger in the car make an out-of-blue comment about the noise. I was going to wait till the 15K service to address this with the dealer service tech’s, but after seeing that I’m not the only owner with the problem, I’ll be heading into discuss the issue earlier.

I’dreally appreciate your comments and advice.

rpps
22-05-2014, 04:55 PM
Today it has been raining and I took my car along the road with speed humps and the bitumen is a bit uneven like corrugations and filled pot holes, the places it usually makes a noise in the rear of my Golf.. But the car was much quieter and I suspect this was due to the water lubricating the rubber bushes, so it leads me to think that it's the rubber bushes and not the actual shock absorbers causing this sound. When these bushes are dry they make the sound when they are wet they are quiet.
A mate of mine is a mechanic and he said you can take these bushes out and pack them with a special silicon grease which would probably stop the noise or you can buy these after market bushes which will stop this noise also.
I also think I get the sound from the front suspension but at present the rear is the one I hear more, today while it was wet it was a different feeling riding on the ruts and over the speed bumps. The car felt much tighter in the suspension with this noise quelled by the rain.