PDA

View Full Version : MY15 Changes - Mk7 Golf

AdamD
29-04-2014, 09:31 AM
VW has released specific information on the changes to the Golf for Model Year 2015 (commencing with cars built week 22, 2014).

The changes are:

Hatchback only:

The Golf R with manual transmission (5G1RVU/15) is now available to order
The Golf 110TDI Highline model code 5G146Y/15 replaces 5G141Y/14
Deactivation of SAFELOCK deadlocking function on deactivation of interior monitoring

Hatchback and Wagon:

The optional Bi-Xenon headlights have been discontinued for Highline & GTI models (standard on GTI Performance and R)
The optional anti-theft alarm system has been discontinued for Comfortline and Highline models (standard on GTI, GTI Performance and R)
The exterior colour Night Blue Metallic Z2Z2 has been discontinued (excludes GTI & GTI Performance)
The optional interior Vienna leather appointed upholstery colour Shetland XW has been discontinued (affects Highline only)
New menu button for dual zone climate control air conditioning system ("MENU" text replaces existing "SETUP")
The driver's side under seat storage drawer has been discontinued on Comfortline models (passenger side drawer remains)
“40 Years Golf” decal to be fitted on rear window
Repositioning of tyre inflation pressure label from fuel flap to B-pillar
New design for BlueMotion Technology badge

Cabriolet (Mk6) only:

The exterior colour Dark Purple Metallic 0KPA has been discontinued
A coat hook has been added in the soft top

Dutch77
29-04-2014, 09:38 AM
So if I read that correctly, if you want xenons on a MY15 GTI you MUST order PP?

kennyc
29-04-2014, 09:38 AM
Wow, am i reading that right that you can no longer get the Bi-Xenon lights on the standard GTI?
Makes me even happier i got it now :)

AdamD
29-04-2014, 09:39 AM
So if I read that correctly, if you want xenons on a MY15 GTI you MUST order PP?

If you want bi-xenons, you need to order the Performance Pack or the R, yes.

Brendan_A
29-04-2014, 09:42 AM
Glad I got xenons on mine now!

Jimi
29-04-2014, 09:46 AM
Wow, so relieved I got bi-xenons! VWA you b@stards! haha. At least it'll make ours look a bit more exclusive.

Overseas forums have hinted that the 1.4 engine has been tweaked slightly (140ps to 150ps). It's only a few kilowatts but I thought it would have got a mention

team_v
29-04-2014, 09:46 AM
Also, congratulations VW on removing yet another blue colour from the range and leaving only shades of grey or red.

Dutch77
29-04-2014, 09:48 AM
Makes sense - keeps the PP as a higher specced model and with them being included as part of the deal it will help the PP buyers out at resale time. Although if I had a desire for xenons I'd then be forced to accept 19s.. and I'm guessing no sun-roof (not that I want that either).

The 40 year decal is clearly a bold move. ;)

b c
29-04-2014, 09:48 AM
Glad I got xenons on my Highline

Dutch77
29-04-2014, 09:49 AM
Overseas forums have hinted that the 1.4 engine has been tweaked slightly (140ps to 150ps). It's only a few kilowatts but I thought it would have got a mention

UK user SonicAaron mentioned his dealer advised him of this in the ordered thread - seems to be happening then.

readerr0r
29-04-2014, 09:51 AM
Less options, less colours, this has to be one of the most backward MY changes in a while.

kennyc
29-04-2014, 10:11 AM
Less options, less colours, this has to be one of the most backward MY changes in a while.

I know aye?
The way i am looking at it, as mine is fully optioned it should help come resale time if i look to upgrade to an R in the future.

Dutch77
29-04-2014, 10:25 AM
I know aye?
The way i am looking at it, as mine is fully optioned it should help come resale time if i look to upgrade to an R in the future.

To the right buyer perhaps, but sadly the old adage is options come resale time = no or little value. :(

That was why a lot of buyers were keen last year on the Merc A250 because it packaged most things together, rather than the GTI approach of having to add it all in.

kennyc
29-04-2014, 11:39 AM
To the right buyer perhaps, but sadly the old adage is options come resale time = no or little value. :(

That was why a lot of buyers were keen last year on the Merc A250 because it packaged most things together, rather than the GTI approach of having to add it all in.

True but now if a buyer wants Xenon lights but not GTI PP, it will be more rare to find one :)

Anyway i am surprised that they haven't upgraded to Discover Pro or Push Button start/ Keyless entry. Really thought they would have done upgrades like that instead of removing stuff.

wasabiz
29-04-2014, 12:40 PM
True but now if a buyer wants Xenon lights but not GTI PP, it will be more rare to find one :)

Anyway i am surprised that they haven't upgraded to Discover Pro or Push Button start/ Keyless entry. Really thought they would have done upgrades like that instead of removing stuff.

I second this. I don't know what VW Australia is thinking, with all the feedback that's been given, I woulda thought that the discover pro woulda been an option for MY15

elephino
29-04-2014, 01:00 PM
Makes sense - keeps the PP as a higher specced model and with them being included as part of the deal it will help the PP buyers out at resale time. Although if I had a desire for xenons I'd then be forced to accept 19s.. and I'm guessing no sun-roof (not that I want that either).

The 40 year decal is clearly a bold move. ;)

Which is great unless you want a manual GTI with bi-xenons.

Dutch77
29-04-2014, 01:08 PM
Which is great unless you want a manual GTI with bi-xenons.

I don't. But I see your point. :)

Going to have to step up to the R..

Lemonskin
29-04-2014, 02:17 PM

Yep correct. Options add little resale value. I've got a mate who thinks he can get $27k for his second hand Polo GTI just because it has every option. He'll be lucky to crack $23k.

Dutch77
29-04-2014, 02:29 PM
Yep correct. Options add little resale value. I've got a mate who thinks he can get $27k for his second hand Polo GTI just because it has every option. He'll be lucky to crack $23k.

Exactly, seen it happen too many times.

It's why I've suggested for a long time that there be a GTI 'Highline' model that groups most/all major options together in one discounted bundle. Market it as such, and it least there is better chance for those options to retain some value.

The Japanese seem to do this a lot with a base model, and then a luxury model. It can be a pain if you want to split between leather, xenons, sunroof, bigger wheels etc. but obviously makes ordering easier, and means the two models have two distinct price points.

Anyway, kinda glad no move to Discover Pro just yet given I'm due to pick up my non-Discover Pro this week. :)

pologti18t
29-04-2014, 02:55 PM
Exactly, seen it happen too many times.

It's why I've suggested for a long time that there be a GTI 'Highline' model that groups most/all major options together in one discounted bundle. Market it as such, and it least there is better chance for those options to retain some value.

A GTI with the luxury bundle is the ... PP, so VW have been listening. :)

What VW has done is look at how many people option a GTI with HIDs and have decided that it's not worth the hassle.

VW is pruning the proliferation of models.... it's ditching the diesel Polo from the update due in Sept. Already dropped the 3 door Polo GTI.
Up is gone, Scirocco will be next. Jetta 147TSi (or whatever the one with the GTI engine is) has been dropped.

Jimi
29-04-2014, 03:02 PM
These updates are only good news for those of us who have MY14 cars. There is nothing new that we wanted like Discover Pro and the removal of the ability to combine manual and bi-xenons (what I got) makes me relieved I didn't wait

They will need to change the new GTI/R brochure too - I wonder how long that'll take (thinking back to the LED number plate light debacle). The GTI with bi-xenons is plastered all over that. I'm not sure there's a halogen to be seen.

stedes
29-04-2014, 08:34 PM
Wow, so relieved I got bi-xenons! VWA you b@stards! haha. At least it'll make ours look a bit more exclusive.

Also the 90kW goes up to 92kW....I'm not sure whether we get the new engines here though. The UK guys are talking about the 1.4 engine with ACT which is not the same as the one we get here.

There are so many things that they could have changed for MY15 and so many options that we don't get here that it appears waiting for MY15 isn't really worth it.

SonicAaron
30-04-2014, 06:01 AM
Definitely new engines... My newly order 140PS GT updated today on the VW website to the higher model...

http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2014/04/image-2.jpg

What do you guys mean removal of Xenons on manuals? I ordered xenons and LEDs as a £1,150 option... If they remove that then I will actually cause a massive hissy as they're the only reason I ordered the high model!!

team_v
30-04-2014, 06:24 AM
Definitely new engines... My newly order 140PS GT updated today on the VW website to the higher model...

What do you guys mean removal of Xenons on manuals? I ordered xenons and LEDs as a £1,150 option... If they remove that then I will actually cause a massive hissy as they're the only reason I ordered the high model!!

It's probably for the Australian market only as they are moving to a bundled options package rather than a "order what options you want" style system

SonicAaron
30-04-2014, 06:28 AM
Ah I see. That's a bit mean!

I was able to decide well I like the xenons and led's , and also the reverse camera... And alloys. But if you guys want those then you might have to buy two bundle things! Xenons might be in one, but the camera in another.

Dutch77
30-04-2014, 08:30 AM
They will need to change the new GTI/R brochure too - I wonder how long that'll take (thinking back to the LED number plate light debacle). The GTI with bi-xenons is plastered all over that. I'm not sure there's a halogen to be seen.

It so happens I have the brochure sitting on my desk this week with the car paperwork - it's publication ID is VGAGGTIMY14, so I suspect a VGAGGTIMY15 print run might be around the corner.

It does have one small pic of the front end with halogens discussing front end design, otherwise all other pics are of the xenons which isn't surprising as I'm happy to admit the two Us look great (still hate the red line though). What is interesting is all of the rear end pics are of non-LED tails despite being the same car, so I am guessing the early press car/intention was not to offer it.

OK, I use the term interesting in context there. :)

AdamD
30-04-2014, 09:35 AM
I was able to decide well I like the xenons and led's , and also the reverse camera... And alloys. But if you guys want those then you might have to buy two bundle things! Xenons might be in one, but the camera in another.

The specifications available in Australia are set by the Australian importer - Volkswagen Group Australia. The availability of options and specifications is specific to Australia - Ireland is completely different.

zardoz
01-05-2014, 11:42 PM
These updates are only good news for those of us who have MY14 cars. There is nothing new that we wanted like Discover Pro and the removal of the ability to combine manual and bi-xenons (what I got) makes me relieved I didn't wait

Glad I got my wagon optioned with xenons (although I may cancel it if I can't get a Discover Pro with maps retrofitted by the time delivery rolls around). I happen to know that there's a Sydney dealer receiving a night blue wagon (discontinued colour) with shetland leather (discontinued colour) with xenons (discontinued).

The wagon and hatch brochures are full of xenon pictures, too.

DrWHO
02-05-2014, 09:21 PM
Hmmm, I was going to order a white GTI manual with bi-xenons as the one and only option tomorrow having decided the R was too noisy/harsh/hard for a daily driver. Had a 90TSI as a rental for a week and found the halogens not as good as on my Mk6 118.

I don't want a DSG or a sun roof so the "performance pack" also ruled out. Talk about a spanner in the works!

Matt P
03-05-2014, 12:01 PM
well i wouldn't waste any time, the car might be out there in a dealership and the faster you get out there, the more of a chance you have of getting it

DrWHO
07-05-2014, 10:59 AM
well i wouldn't waste any time, the car might be out there in a dealership and the faster you get out there, the more of a chance you have of getting it

Dealer been looking since 3rd May, still looking...crossing fingers.

EDIT: Dealer advises no Xenon GTI manual available so I miss out. Also no manual available for a test drive. Also could be a 6 month wait for delivery. I've moved on...there are other brands out there.

mgrobins
09-06-2014, 04:10 AM
can xenons be done as a retrofit like the leather? If so any manual could be bought that is in country and have the dealer have the lights changed here.

There are after-market xenons appearing now as well which will give people options.

team_v
09-06-2014, 11:57 AM
can xenons be done as a retrofit like the leather? If so any manual could be bought that is in country and have the dealer have the lights changed here.

There are after-market xenons appearing now as well which will give people options.

Technically yes, but the cost is exorbitant.
Needs to be fitted with washers and self leveling system for the xenons to be legal in australia and will likely cost over $2,000.

Dutch77
09-06-2014, 03:03 PM
Technically yes, but the cost is exorbitant.
Needs to be fitted with washers and self leveling system for the xenons to be legal in australia and will likely cost over $2,000.

IIRC to do a Mk6 swap correctly the cost ran up to $3k plus with a lot of headaches and time involved - definitely wise to tick the xenon box if desired, but obviously not possible now for a GTI manual as we move to MY15.

Trouble is the $2k ask price was just nuts when looking at my order and I don't do enough country night driving to justify the outlay. The stock lights are absolute rubbish but it's way cheaper to do a bulb upgrade as around town or lit freeways there is zero difference. I'd only pay the VW price for xenons if I lived in the country, or planned to do a lot of night driving on unlit roads.

coops108
12-06-2014, 04:32 PM
I know this link (2015 VOLKSWAGEN GOLF: THE BEST HATCHBACK JUST GOT EVEN BETTER : Volkswagen US Media Newsroom (http://media.vw.com/release/749/)) is from a USA VW website, but is this refereing to the MY15 Changes in AUS? When they refer to the 'The top-of-the-line SEL variants' would this be on the same model level as the 103tsi Highline here in AUS?

I understand that we dont get some of the features that other contries get with there golf, but it would be awesome if the 103TSI Highline got the Keyless Entry and Push-Start button included.

pologti18t
12-06-2014, 06:32 PM
I understand that we dont get some of the features that other contries get with there golf, but it would be awesome if the 103TSI Highline got the Keyless Entry and Push-Start button included.

Isn't their Golf now made in Mexico?

I like how they have vinyl (vtex) trim as an option... not real leather :) And beam axle for diesels.

Interesting: 1.8L turbo engine tuned for regular 91octane fuel (87 PUMP)

Moonee
12-06-2014, 09:05 PM
The optional anti-theft alarm system has been discontinued for Comfortline and Highline models (standard on GTI, GTI Performance and R)

hmm, not sure if I'm reading this correctly, does this mean anti-theft alarm system is standard on the current GTI ?

Brendan_A
12-06-2014, 09:12 PM
hmm, not sure if I'm reading this correctly, does this mean anti-theft alarm system is standard on the current GTI ?

Yes it is.

Moonee
12-06-2014, 09:31 PM
Yes it is.

Thanks Brendan.

AdamD
13-06-2014, 08:52 AM
I know this link (2015 VOLKSWAGEN GOLF: THE BEST HATCHBACK JUST GOT EVEN BETTER : Volkswagen US Media Newsroom (http://media.vw.com/release/749/)) is from a USA VW website, but is this refereing to the MY15 Changes in AUS? When they refer to the 'The top-of-the-line SEL variants' would this be on the same model level as the 103tsi Highline here in AUS?

The US specification is entirely different and unrelated to that available on Australian models. As has been mentioned above, the US sources their Golfs from a separate factory, but they also select their own - unrelated - trim levels based on US preferences and pricing, both of which vary wildly from Australia.