PDA

View Full Version : Frantz oil filters

Kiels3927
26-04-2014, 01:23 PM
Was a time (about when a friend bought a series 2 Nissan Patrol diesel new) that the Erantz filter was considered every diesel motor's salvation with their ability to keep engine byproducts out of the oil.

Is their any place for them in our modern engines when we use the recommended oils? I do worry about that black coloured oil that circulates through my engine.

Diesel_vert
26-04-2014, 02:34 PM
Was a time (about when a friend bought a series 2 Nissan Patrol diesel new) that the Erantz filter was considered every diesel motor's salvation with their ability to keep engine byproducts out of the oil.

Is their any place for them in our modern engines when we use the recommended oils?

To me, it sounds like a solution without a problem.

One should ideally first establish if the service life of the OE filtration system is inadequate for the specified service interval and expected driving and operating conditions. If it is found to be the case, then one may consider installing an alternative filtration system.

I do worry about that black coloured oil that circulates through my engine.

The colour is common to all diesel engines past and present, as a result of the additives (in a properly formulated engine lubricant) holding soot particles in suspension, which prevent them from agglomerating to form sludge or depositing themselves within the engine.

Of course, these additives deplete over time, and the only way of replenishing them is to change the engine oil.

Again, one would ideally determine if the engine oil is inadequate for the job first, noting that colour itself is not a definitive indicator of oil life or engine wear.