PDA

View Full Version : Tyre Pressure Warning light Help

dunners
23-04-2014, 08:57 AM
Hi guys,

On a recent drive down to victoria I realised when I got there that my tyres were getting close to bald on the inside edge (Damn Canberra and it's round abouts). So I rotated the fronts with the rears to reduce wear until I can get some new ones, then drove the the closest servo and adjusted the pressures. All was fine for about 20kms until the Tyre Pressure warning light came on. It flashes angryly at me for a minute then stays on constantly.
I checked the pressures again later and there was no change so I tried reseting it by holding the button down. still no dice.
I monitored it whilst I was down there and the tyres definately aren't leaking. Pumped them up to full (as the car was full on the way back) and reset the system to full loading. But still the stupid light wont go away. Every time I start the car it flashes for a minute and remains constantly on.

I've looked around on the forums here but the only suggestion i can find is to press the button in the glove box. I checked my glove box and the button is either really well hidden or not there.

Any ideas..?
Cheers

EDIT: I forgot to mention that no message appears on the display

gazzmo
23-04-2014, 10:22 AM
If the tyre pressures are within spec then do a reset, I think you hold the set button then turn the ignition key whilst holding it down, failling that disconnect the battery is the universal reset. I had this happen to me after the dealer did a tyre rotation I ended up ring the service department as the dealer was 25ks away and they talked me through the reset. You can try that as well if you know your dealer :)

JustCruisn
23-04-2014, 06:53 PM
Is the button just in front of the gear stick, next to the Traction Control button ?
Press it for a few seconds while driving, it it will beep to indicate it has reset. Check the manual for the full instructions.

The system does not monitor the pressure, just the speed the wheels rotate compared to each other, the logic being if one goes flat that wheel will spin faster than the others.

If find it is completely useless, last pressure check showed 6-8psi difference between the tyres and no warnings at all.

dunners
23-04-2014, 09:47 PM
Thanks for your responses.
I've tried holding the button next to the gear stick but it won't reset. (Mines next to the damper control but I'm guessing it's the same).

Disconnected the battery however still no luck.

It's looking more and more like a dealer fix. Sucks cos I hate my local dealer :(

gazzmo
24-04-2014, 08:58 AM
Could be a TPM sensor or not reconnected if the universal (battery disconnect) did not work :(

dunners
24-04-2014, 09:16 AM
I just got a quote from a tyre place here, the guy there assures me that my system is run off sensors not the ABS. But otherwise they don't know. Said they'd be happy to have a look when I bring it in.

Sorry gazzmo, any idea how would I could reconnect it..?

dunners
29-04-2014, 02:06 PM
UPDATE:

I went and had my tyres changed yesterday, when i got the car back the light was still flashing at me. However after a couple of drives it has gone away and i haven't seen it since.
Just in case i'm going to get it checked by VW next week.