PDA

View Full Version : ABS Issue, no fix?

ProJulz
22-04-2014, 06:29 PM
Hi guys, my Mum has a 2013 CC 2.0 125TDI, and we encountered a problem with it on Sunday the 13th of April.

I was the one driving it that day, when under braking it felt as though the pedal was 'kicking' back as if the car was in a full ABS lock-up, while I was only braking lightly approaching an intersection. A few kilometres later, a bunch of lights appeared on the dashboard and the information system said 'ABS Fault, ESC Fault, reverse camera unavailable, parking sensors unavailable and automatic parking unavailable'.

Luckily we had already booked the car into VW Robina for another warranty job (the automatic boot opener stopped working, needs some new wires or sensors or something), so we took it there first thing Monday morning. We had also booked a loan car.

After a week and a half in the workshop, they still don't know what the problem is, even after they changed a sensor I believe. They have informed us they are in contact with headquarters in Sydney to try and resolve the issue.

Anything like this happened to someone else?

Cheers.

The One
22-04-2014, 07:53 PM
A week and a half and they can't find the fault? Jesus...

FYI check for foreign contaminants on the wheel bearing ABS ring, seems like they have a fault with the ABS sensor which should tell them which side, they will need to remove caliper, disc, pads, wheel bearing and inspect the ABS ring, it probably has something stuck on it (since it is magnetic) and the ABS sensors use a magnetic field to obtain a reading... If something is blocking it, then wallah. Or they can scope the sensor if they don't want to remove parts, simple.. Maybe sounds like it's abit beyond their technical ability though... :troll:

Snail Style
23-04-2014, 06:44 AM
Yup as said, usually abit of metal stuck on the reluctor ring for the wheel speed sensor. No need to even scope the sensor, a simple plug in with the scanner and watching the wheel speeds via MVBs in brake electronics will show the wheel speed sporadically dropping to 0 on the sensor that is effected.

A lot of muppets working for VW dealers, have seen some pretty scary stuff replaced/quoted for some very minor/inexpensive problems.

JustCruisn
23-04-2014, 08:48 AM
Have a look at this thread, looks like the same issue as you.
http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/f127/help-abs-esp-then-steering-tyres-warning-lights-2006-polo-gti-94296-4.html

Umai Naa!!
23-04-2014, 11:57 AM
I'm sure they've experienced the fault, but finding the cause of it may not be so simple.

I'm not aware of any similar issues with these, so I'd say it's got everyone involved a little concerned and perplexed.

Hope they can get on top of it.

buzuki
23-04-2014, 07:28 PM
Ive seen metal swarf on the rings, you can remove the sensor and use a torch and spin the wheel and try and see if there is any. I had this issue on numerous cars

ProJulz
30-04-2014, 07:43 PM
Update: They are having a fiddle with the 'hubs', they reckon. Will see if they can find anything and will get back to us tomorrow. This has entered it's 3rd week now.

Snail Style
01-05-2014, 06:56 AM
One-two day job at my workplace depending on how much time was allocated to it day one :P

The One
03-05-2014, 09:32 PM
Update: They are having a fiddle with the 'hubs', they reckon. Will see if they can find anything and will get back to us tomorrow. This has entered it's 3rd week now.

Time to find another dealer I'd say. Heard good things about Southport.

ProJulz
05-05-2014, 10:46 PM
So a bit late to update this, but we got the car back mid last week. Replaced an ABS sensor in the left-rear hub that was reading differently to the other 3. They performed 10 full ABS lock-ups to test that everything worked, which was a bit scary to hear. It hasn't played up again yet, so hopefully no more issues.

Time to find another dealer I'd say. Heard good things about Southport.

Weird, we've had terrible experiences at Southport. So has our family members. Wouldn't recommend them at all.