PDA

View Full Version : Golf R 400 confirmed for production !

Sharkie
22-04-2014, 02:21 PM
Volkswagen’s Golf R 400 has been given the green light for production | News.com.au (http://www.news.com.au/technology/design/volkswagens-golf-r-400-has-been-given-the-green-light-for-production/story-fnjwucvh-1226892185304)

To all who have ordered a new MK7 Golf R, you will no longer be at the top of the food chain in the Golf world.

Just announced is the Golf R 400 (400HP, 298kw) 0-100 in less than 4s

Yet to be confirmed for Aus, but I see no reason not to expect it coming.

I will be ordering 1 of these myself ..... :cool:

nightphotographer
22-04-2014, 02:25 PM
hmmmm - if the RS3 didn't make it here, then I can't see this coming either. Aus misses out on so many models - I really do doubt it'll get anything as exclusive as a 400BHP Golf.

team_v
22-04-2014, 02:29 PM
hmmmm - if the RS3 didn't make it here, then I can't see this coming either. Aus misses out on so many models - I really do doubt it'll get anything as exclusive as a 400BHP Golf.

I agree, no way are we getting this.

nightphotographer
22-04-2014, 02:46 PM

I want to be an optimist, I really do, but it's unlikely!

Sharkie
22-04-2014, 02:46 PM

Don't know, we said the same about the Scirrocco and that came eventually.

I'd bet that if this came in RHD that VWA would seriously consider bringing it in, even if only in limited numbers as the hero model of the VW range. Be right up there as competition for the A45 and the M135i.

I'd definitely buy 1 if it came. But only if I could have it as a manual and some exclusive colour to really make it stand out!

EDIT: And if it did that stock, just imagine what it could do tuned!

team_v
22-04-2014, 02:50 PM
Don't know, we said the same about the Scirrocco and that came eventually.

I'd bet that if this came in RHD that VWA would seriously consider bringing it in, even if only in limited numbers as the hero model of the VW range. Be right up there as competition for the A45 and the M135i.

I'd definitely buy 1 if it came. But only if I could have it as a manual and some exclusive colour to really make it stand out!

EDIT: And if it did that stock, just imagine what it could do tuned!

The problem was (and this has been mentioned in teh Mk7 R thread) the RS1 and RS3 were never considered for a western market.
They were both high performance cars for the EU and Middle east market only.

They are already cutting the scirocco due to poor sales.

Sharkie
22-04-2014, 03:08 PM
The problem was (and this has been mentioned in teh Mk7 R thread) the RS1 and RS3 were never considered for a western market.
They were both high performance cars for the EU and Middle east market only.

They are already cutting the scirocco due to poor sales.

If they build it in RHD it could come here unlike the RS1 and RS3 which was only ever available LHD. I suppose time will tell on the RHD version, but I'd expect the Japanese and South Africans to be yelling loudly at VAG head office by now to get that done ....

Scirocco did well initially, but it is in reality a niche model and in FWD only form less inviting than what it would have been in AWD form, so as demand dropped VWA's appetite to keep a slow moving model waned as well ....

A real hero Golf R 400 could sell well and at a decent price (for VWA) to make it worthwhile. 1 prospective customer here already :)

Dutch77
22-04-2014, 03:15 PM
If they build it in RHD it could come here unlike the RS1 and RS3 which was only ever available LHD.

It was ADRs, the mooted $100k price tag and the fact the model was almost at the end of its life cycle which stopped Australia from taking the last RS3. It was available in RHD - the Brits got it.

Sharkie
22-04-2014, 03:34 PM
It was ADRs, the mooted $100k price tag and the fact the model was almost at the end of its life cycle which stopped Australia from taking the last RS3. It was available in RHD - the Brits got it.

My apologies, you sir, are 100% correct :)

and I'd be happy to pay $around 75K for a R 400 in base spec, but only if I could have it in a manual. If it came in another $10K more I'd still consider it, but if DSG only then I'd go and visit BMW for a manual M235i

gareth_oau
22-04-2014, 03:34 PM

the RS3 didnt make it here mainly because it was end of its lifecycle and Audi couldnt justify the ADRs at that stage in the cycle for a small volume vehicle.

BMW did its 1M so Audi and VW both have no excuses!

Dutch77
22-04-2014, 03:38 PM
My apologies, you sir, are 100% correct :)

:P I'm with you otherwise, as I said in the R thread, credit to VW for actually pushing this into production - we always need more crazy.

I suspect a $100k price tag might not be far off the mark if it somehow ever did make it here though. :(

I'm guessing here, but the 1M is really just carrying a body-kit over the normal 1 series? That may make it a lot easier than in this case where the body modifications seem a lot more extensive.

gareth_oau
22-04-2014, 03:38 PM
If they build it in RHD it could come here unlike the RS1 and RS3 which was only ever available LHD. I suppose time will tell on the RHD version, but I'd expect the Japanese and South Africans to be yelling loudly at VAG head office by now to get that done ....

Scirocco did well initially, but it is in reality a niche model and in FWD only form less inviting than what it would have been in AWD form, so as demand dropped VWA's appetite to keep a slow moving model waned as well ....

A real hero Golf R 400 could sell well and at a decent price (for VWA) to make it worthwhile. 1 prospective customer here already :)

RS3 was sold in UK in RHD:

AUDI RS3 2.5T FSI RS3 QUATTRO 5DR S TRONIC Hatchback for sale in Knaresborough | Auto Trader (http://www.autotrader.co.uk/used-cars/audi/rs3/used-audi-rs3-2-5t-fsi-rs3-quattro-5dr-s-tronic-knaresborough-fpa-201404173407245?logcode=p)

giveway
22-04-2014, 03:50 PM
:
I'm guessing here, but the 1M is really just carrying a body-kit over the normal 1 series? That may make it a lot easier than in this case where the body modifications seem a lot more extensive.

The 1M basically had all the M3 running gear underneath and the the pumped guards to fit it.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

DoggieHowser
22-04-2014, 04:20 PM
The thing is that most of the S/RS models often come at the end of the model run. So the RS4 is on the B8's last legs the moment its out.

But with the R400, it's still pretty early in the cycle. They could of course make it a special edition but if they are really smart about it, they could come out with a mid-cycle facelift and introduce the new engine (maybe detuned slightly) for MY16 as an across the board change for the Rs. Pricing wise, it's a bit of a squeeze now, not just in Australia but also in Europe, with Mercedes putting downward pressure on all the other makes with their keenly priced A45s, so I am not sure if there is enough breathing space to price the R400 competitively.

Alex31
22-04-2014, 05:30 PM
I would also be putting down a deposit if it became a reality.
However I highly doubt it will come if we can't even get a non detuned R due to our "weather"
How could they bring in a 295kw version of the same engine?
Also ADR would just make it too hard for VGA.
Pity I would love to have one. Also it would be great to leave that GTS HSV in the dust.
:-)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Billecartz
22-04-2014, 07:50 PM
I would order one!

However I highly doubt it will come if we can't even get a non detuned R due to our "weather"
Pity I would love to have one. Also it would be great to leave that GTS HSV in the dust.

qsz
22-04-2014, 08:05 PM
Hi All,
Please all call your VW dealers or email VWA so they get the idea we want the 400 here.
I called a mate who is a dealer manager today to tell him i'm 100% in for a car. He's going to speak with VWA to get their comment on a possibility. I'll let you know what he says.

cheers...

Candyman
23-04-2014, 08:19 AM

It isn't the same engine though (as the MKVI R) - has strengthened internals (according to VW)

The "detuning" is irrelevant. Even if they take it down a notch, a simple stage 1 tune will return that and more. VW will not launch a model anywhere that is "strung out" - it isn't in their nature.

Not sure what you mean about the ADR comment as kW/KG is already this high in other vehicles here.

AdamD
23-04-2014, 09:05 AM

Spot-on there Dutch. With respect to ADRs, the specific problem was that the RS3 utilised CFRP (carbon fibre reinforced polymer) front guards - something that is expressly prohibited by ADRs in Australia. So the factory would have had to produce unique aluminium guards just for the Australian market - something they weren't prepared to do for such small anticipated volumes.

Gaining ADR compliance for a limited model is not a difficult thing to do, but it does cost money - so obviously VWA will do the sums and work out whether there's a business case for it or not. They haven't even confirmed they'll make it in RHD yet...

pologti18t
23-04-2014, 09:32 AM
Is this official? NOt being reported as 100% elsewhere

Volkswagen reveals new 280km/h Golf R400 (http://www.drive.com.au/motor-news/volkswagen-reveals-new-280kmh-golf-r400-20140421-36zgr.html)

It all hinges on an article Car and Driver logged on April 20 that has been reported on by other news sources

AdamD
23-04-2014, 09:37 AM
Is this official? NOt being reported as 100% elsewhere

It all hinges on an article Car and Driver logged on April 20 that has been reported on by other news sources

It's not yet official. Just based on a comment from the R&D chief to Car & Driver. Serious conversations have started with a lot less evidence in the past! ;)

gareth_oau
23-04-2014, 12:29 PM
The thing is that most of the S/RS models often come at the end of the model run. So the RS4 is on the B8's last legs the moment its out.

But with the R400, it's still pretty early in the cycle. They could of course make it a special edition but if they are really smart about it, they could come out with a mid-cycle facelift and introduce the new engine (maybe detuned slightly) for MY16 as an across the board change for the Rs. Pricing wise, it's a bit of a squeeze now, not just in Australia but also in Europe, with Mercedes putting downward pressure on all the other makes with their keenly priced A45s, so I am not sure if there is enough breathing space to price the R400 competitively.

I love what Mercs have done with the A45 pricing, it make huge competition for Audi/VW/BMW to step up and compete.

and if they don't they will lose a lot of loyalty to people who switch to the A45

gareth_oau
23-04-2014, 12:31 PM
Spot-on there Dutch. With respect to ADRs, the specific problem was that the RS3 utilised CFRP (carbon fibre reinforced polymer) front guards - something that is expressly prohibited by ADRs in Australia. So the factory would have had to produce unique aluminium guards just for the Australian market - something they weren't prepared to do for such small anticipated volumes.

Gaining ADR compliance for a limited model is not a difficult thing to do, but it does cost money - so obviously VWA will do the sums and work out whether there's a business case for it or not. They haven't even confirmed they'll make it in RHD yet...

This just demonstrates how ludicrous our ADRs are - just another form of tariff to make imports less competitive

a239947
23-04-2014, 02:24 PM
This just demonstrates how ludicrous our ADRs are - just another form of tariff to make imports less competitive

I dont think this rules exists anymore. 911 RS 4.0 has carbon front guards as does the Lamborghini Aventador and they both are sold in australia. Our ADRs were changed a few years ago to align closer to europe so that manufacturers didnt have to build special vehicles to comply with our laws. Thats the reason for the influx of euro manufacturers over the last few years.
Besides the hoods scoop on the bug eyed WRX STI never met any ADRs and they got it passed! It looked like they built an opera house on the bonnet!

Sent from my GT-I9100

pologti18t
23-04-2014, 06:56 PM

Explain the USA and Canada. Makes our ADRs (which have been mostly harmonised) look easy as pie.

Jimi
23-04-2014, 07:01 PM
Yeah at least we're not forced to put ugly orange reflectors all over ours

asa572
24-04-2014, 10:13 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EphfVrMw5pY

gt_eye
16-08-2014, 11:21 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=knkdpgZOKAQ

I just want one!!!:bowdown:

lambertia
17-08-2014, 05:18 AM
I'm hoping that the R wagon appears!

irossiter
17-08-2014, 09:56 AM
Looks like a beast but those wheels are shocking. Even worse than the R.