PDA

View Full Version : Engineers certificate

smithy010
18-05-2006, 04:11 PM
If i put a golf diesel, in my currently petrol mk1 LS golf, will i need to get it engineered?

I'm not sure whether because golf diesels were oem, that they fall under the curtain of "modified" if you modify them.

Also- does anyone know, after this- in the case that i need an engineers cert, will insurance companies regard it as a "modified" vehicle?

Anyone who knows, your knowledge would be helpful.

imported_brackie
18-05-2006, 04:26 PM
You would have to get the fuel type on the registration papers changed and your insurance company would have to know it had been converted to diesel. As far as engineering is concerned the only changes would be an extra fuel line to take excess diesel back to the tank (you would need to find a diesel tank or have an inlet put in yours) and a filter housing mounted on the firewall. Diesel brakes are different and I think the front springs are a little heavier. The cooling system has a larger capacity but I think this is dues to the expansion tank rather than a larger radiator. I could stand corrected on that. The diesel car weighs 839kg against the petrol (4 door) 805kg.

Best to check with your licensing authority before you do anything. Also be aware that the gear ratios are different in diesel cars (see "Interesting Articles".)

syncro
18-05-2006, 05:28 PM
Bigger battery.
Springs should be close enough.
Keep the LS brakes as they are better.
Keep the LS box as the ratios are better.(Even better with a 5 speed)
Check around front end for body cracks first.

Have you thought of just getting a later (German) diesel?

smithy010
18-05-2006, 05:32 PM
Yeah, i thought of getting a later model diesel. Possibly more cost effective. But the little golf is so beautiful!

If i find that it will cost me more in insurance, and too much cost to install and get a $500 engineers certificate, then i will have to let go of the old girl.

Golf Loon
18-05-2006, 07:22 PM
Only the engine is changing, not the capacity. I reckon if you did the conversion, you could get a blueslip and change the number and the diesel thing without needing engineering. Its only when you increase the capacity that they want you to get it checked. Your car will go slower after the conversion. Its a big job and a little pointless as Golf Diesels already exist out there. You could probably sell your petrol one and buy a diesel for a bit more and not even have to get dirty.

syncro
19-05-2006, 08:14 AM
You could probably sell your petrol one and buy a diesel for a bit more and not even have to get dirty.

And it would be a better model..........

Blue slip person probably wouldn't notice.

Legally the compliance plate would be different although I have seen many CI to SI conversions.

gldgti
19-05-2006, 09:32 PM
insurance for diesel is cheaper...

your main problem in converting would be the tank and lines, the diesel fuel lines are bigger, and really, its a sensible idea, as a good injector pump will circulate a bit of fuel around when your drinving it under load. (also the pump will find it easier if you have bigger lines)

i would say its easier to get a 78-80 diesel, however, the more golfs that are diesel at all the better.

wouldnt worry about the springs at all, or the brakes...

good engine mounts are nice.

make sure you have the duel downpipe manifild, they are nice too.