PDA

View Full Version : Fuel of a quality compliant with EN 228?

AnDyStYLe
18-04-2014, 01:23 PM
Hi All,

Been trying to google what this means to no avail.

My Scirocco has a PR no. QI4, and in the owner's manual it indicates it should be under VW 502 00, but it also states the following...

Alternative engine oil specs > Only in the EU, Switzerland, Norway, Japan and Australia (a).

VW 504 00

(a) Alternative engine oil specifications may only be used in fixed QI1, QI2, QI3, QI4, and QI7, and only when fuel of a quality compliant with EN 228 (petrol) and EN 590 (diesel), or fuel of an equivalent quality, is available in the particular country.

It also mentions that engine oils compliant with VW 504 00 and VW 507 00 are therefore unsuitable for use in a large number of markets.

I can't find any information regarding EN 228 in Australia.

I tried googling "what does EN 228 mean in octane levels?" and "is EN 228 the same as 98 octane?" but nothing really comes up Australian related.

Anyone care to explain if EN 228 means for us in Australia?

I use BP Ultimate (98 octane). Is it as simple to say that this meets the EN 228 quality?

Cheers,

Andy

Diesel_vert
18-04-2014, 06:45 PM
EN 228 and EN 590 are European standards for gasoline (petrol) and diesel respectively, as set by the European Committee for Standardization (CEN).

My understanding is that these standards, once agreed upon, are then legislated by parliament in each EU member state, which then gives these standards authority in their particular country.

Australia has its own fuel standard for petrol and diesel. (http://www.environment.gov.au/topics/environment-protection/fuel-quality/standards)

The links below can be used to compare European and Australian fuel standards:

EU: Fuels: Diesel and Gasoline - TransportPolicy.net (http://transportpolicy.net/index.php?title=EU:_Fuels:_Diesel_and_Gasoline)
Australia: Fuels: Diesel and Gasoline - TransportPolicy.net (http://transportpolicy.net/index.php?title=Australia:_Fuels:_Diesel_and_Gasol ine)

AnDyStYLe
18-04-2014, 07:31 PM
Thanks for that...

I did read the transport policy site when I was searching.

If I read correctly, EN 228 compliant fuel should not have a sulphur rate of more than 10ppm? Although, Aust premium unleaded (i.e. 95 or 98 octane) has up to
50ppm?

So does that mean our fuel is not EN 228 compliant, and in actually fact we all should be using VW 502 00 engine oil?

Cheers,

Andy

Diesel_vert
18-04-2014, 08:25 PM
I observe that when Volkswagen introduced VW oil standard 504.00/507.00 and diesel particulate filters onto the market in 2004/2005, the maximum sulfur content limit for on-road fuel in Europe at the time was 50 ppm.

Even though sulfur-free fuels (<10 ppm) were becoming commonplace, I imagine the implementation date of Euro 4 emissions and fuel standards wasn't something that was lost on Volkswagen.

Thus, I interpret that as 504/507 lubricants being acceptable to use with 50 ppm fuels, though perhaps on the condition that the oil change interval is set at a maximum of 15 000 km ("Time and Distance" service regime), as opposed to a possible maximum of 30 000 km (for vehicles on the "LongLife" service regime in Europe).

AnDyStYLe
18-04-2014, 09:14 PM
Thanks again for your insight and response (as always)!

I think I've interpreted it similar to your explanation.

Fuel and engine oil has really interest me since owning my VW, although blows my mind with the information surrounding all this (sometimes lack of)!

Your input is always appreciated Diesel_vert.

Cheers,

Andy