PDA

View Full Version : Kufatec module to permanently disable stop/start system

Ryan_R
15-04-2014, 12:05 PM
For those who don't have [access to] VCDS

http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2014/04/9118_0-1.jpg

Coding interface disable start / stop MQB-40019 (http://www.kufatec.co.uk/shop/en/diagnostic-tools/kufatec-diagnostic-coding-dongle/coding-interface-disable-start-stop-mqb)

Wezza
19-09-2014, 04:23 AM
Thought i'd resurrect this post.... Can anyone confirm if this works? Can we permanently turn off stop/start?

Transporter
19-09-2014, 08:33 AM
It should be working, the Kufatec products are usually reliable.

Sharkie
19-09-2014, 05:19 PM
Isn't there a thread somewhere (I'm sure I saw it) where you can VCDS code out the stop-start? Adaptation of something to set operating temps (for the engine) for when the function will and wont work and then setting the threshold high enough that it never kicks in.

Thats free, thus better .....

Umai Naa!!
19-09-2014, 06:58 PM
Or unplugging the battery module?

Wezza
19-09-2014, 08:58 PM
Anyone have a VCDS cable in Perth or WA that they're willing to let me use/show me how to use? Happy to compensate for time spent :P

booba
27-09-2014, 07:58 AM
Also there are some mk7 vehicles like mine that won't accept the temperature codings. There is an alternative method now where you set battery voltage thresholds. concept is similar, set the low battery threshhold high enough so autostart won't kick in.

Kachingg
02-08-2017, 04:48 PM
Hey guys i got this module online delivered from a stockist in melb in 2 days

Just plug it in wait for the l.e.d to go out took about 5 sec with mine then start/stop disabled :banana:

To reverse just plug it back in again same procedure

Easy as no longer will start/stop **** me up the wall

cost was $73 auzzie with postage

SloAu
02-08-2017, 06:05 PM
Easier solution - Polo 6C GTI: How to Disable Engine Start/Stop - YouTube (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sMyN7tBNJgo) - it works the same for Golf 7

DV52
02-08-2017, 07:39 PM
hmm..........nothing wrong with Kufatec unit, but cheaper solution, without needing to use a diagnostic cable and without the "tell" that appears on the MFD when the car stops (i.e. the dreaded "A" with a slash) HERE (http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/f197/golf-mk7-auto-start-stop-disable-switch-whowants-help-108932.html#post1154903)

I've been using mine for 2 x years now - never missed once - every time I switch-on the ignition, the SS Auto-kill switch turns off Start Stop and I can re-engage it easily at any time in my journey by simply pressing the SS witch on the console (not that I have ever done this - I reckon SS is the most dangerous thing in the car!)

Don

PS: For those that have an earlier model mk7, the "Voltage method" shown in SloAU video won't be available - instead \, you will need to use the "temperature method" - see HERE (http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/f197/disable-stop-start-vcds-tweak-94276-post1032492.html#post1032492)

Kachingg
08-08-2017, 05:37 PM
hmm..........nothing wrong with Kufatec unit, but cheaper solution, without needing to use a diagnostic cable and without the "tell" that appears on the MFD when the car stops (i.e. the dreaded "A" with a slash) HERE (http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/f197/golf-mk7-auto-start-stop-disable-switch-whowants-help-108932.html#post1154903)

I've been using mine for 2 x years now - never missed once - every time I switch-on the ignition, the SS Auto-kill switch turns off Start Stop and I can re-engage it easily at any time in my journey by simply pressing the SS witch on the console (not that I have ever done this - I reckon SS is the most dangerous thing in the car!)

Don

PS: For those that have an earlier model mk7, the "Voltage method" shown in SloAU video won't be available - instead \, you will need to use the "temperature method" - see HERE (http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/f197/disable-stop-start-vcds-tweak-94276-post1032492.html#post1032492)

Uuuhh i fail to see how that is in any way easier? yes i have the vry small a with a slash pop up but it also took less than 30sec of my time ok it cost 70 bucks(cost saving over your method if you add in hrs minimal) but it is also reversible in the same amount of time, is your hard wired mod that easy?

DV52
08-08-2017, 11:37 PM
Uuuhh i fail to see how that is in any way easier? yes i have the vry small a with a slash pop up but it also took less than 30sec of my time ok it cost 70 bucks(cost saving over your method if you add in hrs minimal) but it is also reversible in the same amount of time, is your hard wired mod that easy?

Kachingg: neh, not difficult at all. Plus I get the chance to warm-up my soldering iron and rip-open the center console. Can't get any better fun than that!!!:facepalm:

Don

Eaglehawk
09-08-2017, 08:44 AM
Some people just don't appreciate good engineering when they see it ;)

(I love your solution, it's the way the car should have been made!) - But I'm sure some stupid ADR rule made it "illegal". (fuel consumption?)

Kachingg
09-08-2017, 04:37 PM
Some people just don't appreciate good engineering when they see it ;)

(I love your solution, it's the way the car should have been made!) - But I'm sure some stupid ADR rule made it "illegal". (fuel consumption?)

Oh dont get me wrong i appreciate what he has done i would not be able to that at all (blessed with 10 thumbs)
It's just that i dispute the easier part taking apart console and soldering bits into the wiring is imo not easier or quicker than a 15 to 30 sec plug and play system... even if i have to live with the vry small a with slash (which i do not even notice on digital dash unless i look for it)

Also if necessary i can undo change in same time for any dealer related warranty issues ect then reinstall after so yeah i like my solution better does not make the complex system bad i am impressed with it and the knowhow that has gone into it but its not for me

Kachingg
20-08-2017, 06:46 AM
Update on the kufatech module
Took car to dealer for 1000km check up took me about 1 min to enable start/stop and another 1 min to get rid of it again when home again
Highly recommend this item works like a charm

Transporter
20-08-2017, 07:42 AM
Generally, I don't like the dongles that stay connected to the OBD port or the can bus system indefinitely. If something goes wrong with them, you never know the extent of the damage it may have.

...and yes, I had a car which refused to start not long after it had the aftermarket (known brand too) device attached to the can bus unit.

So, the thumb up to the people like Don (DV52) for their excellent work.

Kachingg
20-08-2017, 08:08 AM
Generally, I don't like the dongles that stay connected to the OBD port or the can bus system indefinitely. If something goes wrong with them, you never know the extent of the damage it may have.

...and yes, I had a car which refused to start not long after it had the aftermarket (known brand too) device attached to the can bus unit.

So, the thumb up to the people like Don (DV52) for their excellent work.

No need to leave it plugged in

Plug into port after ignition has been on for 1 min but car not running takes 5 sec to reprogram take it out all done
Rince repeat for reactivation easy as no chance of damage

DV52
20-08-2017, 10:19 AM
No need to leave it plugged in

Plug into port after ignition has been on for 1 min but car not running takes 5 sec to reprogram take it out all done
Rince repeat for reactivation easy as no chance of damage

Kachingg: Then you can offer a SS disabling service to anyone who want it!

Don

Transporter
20-08-2017, 01:31 PM
Kachingg: Then you can offer a SS disabling service to anyone who want it!

Don

I think it's tied to one car after you plug it in, who knows?

Kachingg
20-08-2017, 01:45 PM
I think it's tied to one car after you plug it in, who knows?

Yup your spot on Transporter it reads your vin number and is locked to that car only you can use it unlimited times but only on that car

So you gotta spend another 70 bucks for a new unit if you have 2 cars that need it still worth it tho just the drive down to dealer and back was enough with it activated could not wait to turn it back off

joshcrd
20-08-2017, 05:10 PM
just to clarify

if I get the A symbol using the kufatec, I can just switch it off before the service, the A disappears and the dealership is none the wiser?

Kachingg
20-08-2017, 05:34 PM
just to clarify

if I get the A symbol using the kufatec, I can just switch it off before the service, the A disappears and the dealership is none the wiser?

Yep that's it just remember to do it before you take it in. Drive it there with the stop/start activated and you will remember why you took it off

The a symbol with the slash through it only comes on when stop/start would normally be activated (you get the same symbol if you press the deactivate button when you start up) so when you pull up and the car would normally stop the little a with slash pops up and goes away again when you move off

joshcrd
20-08-2017, 06:12 PM
Yep that's it just remember to do it before you take it in. Drive it there with the stop/start activated and you will remember why you took it off

The a symbol with the slash through it only comes on when stop/start would normally be activated (you get the same symbol if you press the deactivate button when you start up) so when you pull up and the car would normally stop the little a with slash pops up and goes away again when you move off

Thanks, I actually had a bit of a cheeky jab at the guy who I bought it off when I asked a few months later - he said it was to save fuel (Which I don't pay for)

My points were:
1) It can be dangerous, pulling out of a side street onto a busy road, you creep up after the car in front turns out, then you might come to a stop and realise you have what would normally be a safe gap but the split second you lose makes a world of difference at 60km/h oncoming traffic - he agreed
2) I told him it's a bit rich that VW are on their "green" high horse after cheating on emissions - he laughed and also said it's actually a common and difficult response which he struggles to answer. He uses the "hands are tied approach" which I probably agree is the best way.

He did say something like this he would make sure the service guys don't hassle me if it came to that as I've bought 5 new cars from them before.

Kachingg
20-08-2017, 07:05 PM
Thanks, I actually had a bit of a cheeky jab at the guy who I bought it off when I asked a few months later - he said it was to save fuel (Which I don't pay for)

My points were:
1) It can be dangerous, pulling out of a side street onto a busy road, you creep up after the car in front turns out, then you might come to a stop and realise you have what would normally be a safe gap but the split second you lose makes a world of difference at 60km/h oncoming traffic - he agreed
2) I told him it's a bit rich that VW are on their "green" high horse after cheating on emissions - he laughed and also said it's actually a common and difficult response which he struggles to answer. He uses the "hands are tied approach" which I probably agree is the best way.

He did say something like this he would make sure the service guys don't hassle me if it came to that as I've bought 5 new cars from them before.

Just remember to activate it again and they will never know the coding is buried quite deep in the system and if its operating they will never think to look for it

As for the reasons for the start/stop systems to be on the cars in the 1st place its not for fuel saving which is minuscule to say the least

Its for emissions when they are testing the cars(government epa) about 1/3 of the testing cycle is when car is idleing and cars are never efficient at idle speeds so they put the start/stop in so car is not producing emissions for that period makes it better on the carbon monoxide ect
less tax in eu ect ect

joshcrd
20-08-2017, 11:06 PM
As for the reasons for the start/stop systems to be on the cars in the 1st place its not for fuel saving which is minuscule to say the least

Thanks mate!!

I know very little about mechanics but I figured it takes a fair amount of fuel to start the engine