PDA

View Full Version : Double Din Units, GPS, DVD, the universe and everything..

Bluerex
23-10-2007, 05:45 PM
The new T5 arrives in a fortnight (Nov 5):D
I think it will come with a stacker (double din size) and little else (Ok, AM & FM but no MP3 or iPod):(
I have been looking at my options, but the dollars are pretty scarey, if pushed, I will go with a Panasonic (with GPS upgrade) but there goes $2k+ OUCH!!

So what are my alternatives? e-bay has these (http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=170158853098&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT&ih=007), but I am wary of spending that much sight-unseen. So.... HELP!!!

Charles

Oh and just one caveat... NO WINDOWS!!! The last thing I need is to have to patch and virus check my bloody car all the time!

BL33SU
23-10-2007, 05:51 PM
u wont beilive how good the qualilty of that brand is.

i have the smaller version of that 4" screen and its hectik i paid $70 lol.

Bluerex
31-03-2009, 11:37 AM
Reviving my own thread, has there been much progress over the past year?
I now have a Polo Pacific in the driveway with what looks like the same double-din as the T5 (Mp3 cd, no nav or anything else).
Currently this (http://cgi.ebay.com.au/CAR-DVD-GPS-iPod-VW-JETTA-PASSAT-B5-GOLF-POLO-BORA_W0QQitemZ320354697603QQcmdZViewItemQQptZAU_Ca r_Parts_Accessories?hash=item320354697603&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=66%3A2%7C65%3A1%7C39%3A1%7C240%3A1318)lo oks like the only/best offering from the good folks in Honkers. Given my disappointing experience with trying to find a local "name brand" replacement last time, I am tempted to give it a try.

Charles

SupaMario
31-03-2009, 12:43 PM
I've just recently put in a similar head unit into my golf and never looked back.
the audio quality is as if nothing every changed, the touch screen controls are a breeze to use and the GPS functionality of the one i got blew me away in accuracy and in ease of use. overall the ability to play MP3 cd/dvd's was what i wanted mostly along with the full use of steering controls, these units deliver this +more. the radio i'm still getting my head around i don't know how to save stations does anyone know how??? it auto does it but i want my main 6 stations i listen to on one screen... oh well.

my only down pint would be (but it's by law) that the hand break needs to be up in-order to play any video's or manually select a song off the mp3 disc... but considering i can't do much it was a worth while buy by my account.

for an upgrade that looks like a factory fitting head unit it's well worth it in my opinion.

ScottC
06-04-2009, 08:46 AM
Does it have to be double-DIN? Why not buy a fascia adapter to put a single DIN in there and a pocket underneath? Then you can get any number of excellent quality HUs for relatively cheap.

Bluerex
06-04-2009, 09:31 AM
Does it have to be double-DIN? Why not buy a fascia adapter to put a single DIN in there and a pocket underneath? Then you can get any number of excellent quality HUs for relatively cheap.
No argument! And I do have an alpine (with ipod interface) that lived in my WRX before I traded it on the T5...but being able to do the whole DVD/SatNav/Reverse-Cam thing makes the double unit tempting.

C

Tombi
08-06-2009, 04:53 PM
A buddy of mine has the Alpine double din number (fitted last year) and just a few weeks back had the bolt-on sat-nav component installed and telephone interface. Don't know how user friendly it is my self, but having just picked up my T5 I will be asking questions soon. Yeah the price is scary alright:eek:

Will report back with more .

CruiseJunkie
13-06-2009, 02:08 PM
I'm ordering this (http://www.alpine.com.au/products/product.asp?modelID=423) on Monday. Cant wait to get it fitted.

Tombi
21-06-2009, 09:08 PM
Keep us posted on your new Alpine double din is please.
Would love to hear about your experience.
Tombi